Contributions: 398
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 20/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss60894
Man Remembers Who He is After He Disappeared 30 Years Ago

As Canadians streamed back to work and school after the Labour Day weekend in 1986, Edgar Latulip, a developmentally delayed 21-year-old who functioned at the level of a child and had previously attempted suicide, walked away from a group home in Kitchener, Ont.

For almost 30 years, to the grief of his mother and bafflement of police, he was never heard from again.

Until, astonishingly, a man living just a 90-minute drive away under a different identity in St. Catharines, told his social worker last month that he thought his real name might be Edgar Latulip.

“I’ve been a police officer for 18 years and this is something I’ve seen on TV but never been a part of,” Niagara Regional Police Const. Philip Gavin told. “Absolutely, this is quite a rare one.”

Gavin provided the back story: In 1986, Latulip got on a bus to Niagara Falls, then made his way to nearby St. Catharines.

“He didn’t have a home at the time,” Gavin said. “And in and around that time he suffered a fall that resulted in a head injury. That head injury left him lacking memory and his identity.”

Latulip apparently lived for the next 30 years under an assumed name in St. Catharines.
When he disappeared, he had carried no luggage. Police in Waterloo Region suspected he might have travelled to Niagara Falls with another suicide bid in mind.

Latulip’s mother Silvia Wilson, who later moved to Ottawa, feared her son might have been murdered.
“This is always at the back of my mind,” she told the Waterloo Region Record for a 2014 story on missing persons.

“When Edgar disappeared, I became quite sick. I had to take a leave of absence from work. I was near a nervous breakdown.”

It was only in January, Const. Gavin explained, that the mystery began to be solved.
Latulip had reason to be in contact with a social worker.

He told her he thought his real name was Edgar Latulip. She checked on-line and found the missing persons case under that name on the Waterloo police website.

Local police were contacted and interviewed Latulip, Gavin said. And “he was able to talk about more pieces” of memory that had recently come back to him.

He provided a DNA sample that was compared against that of a family member on file in Waterloo.

And “that was the final piece of confirmation as to his identity,” Gavin said.

For now, Edgar Latulip is still “trying to grasp that after 30 years you realize you’re somebody else,” said Gavin. A reunion with his family was being arranged.

Alana Holtom, speaking for Waterloo Regional Police, said she spoke to Latulip’s mother on Wednesday after a detective had given her the news.

“They are planning to reunite,” she said. “You kind of want to see this storybook reuniting thing, but I think they are going to be handling it privately.

“I’m sure she’s very overwhelmed. She expressed her worry over all this time. So for it to come to this conclusion is remarkable.”

For investigators, it was a case that began before the technological revolution and — combined with the fact that Latulip seems to have lived a low-profile life off the social-media radar — made it more difficult to solve than recent disappearances.

With modern technology and social media, “your public fingerprint is all over the place,” Gavin said.

It’s “a lot harder thing” for anyone to disappear today as completely as Latulip did.

Holtom agreed, saying that “nowadays as soon as we have a missing person we tweet the photo and any information we have out instantly.”
But “we did not give up,” she said.

“We actually had him posted on our website as a missing person up until (Wednesday).”

That’s when Holtom got the call from homicide, which handles missing person cases, to update the site because someone had been located.

“When they tell me, I go, ‘Oh, my goodness’!”
And, all these years on, she was hardly alone.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kellyhound For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, gatagato, icheerthebull, lobo221, Oswald2001, Pyramid_Head, Sharon, tofuboy, vagabond
Old 02-12-2016, 03:51 PM
puelling pueman
Poster Rank:127
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7872
Re: Man Remembers Who He is After He Disappeared 30 Years Ago

it's gonna be tough for the mum....

my family and i left england when i was 10 and we never really stayed in touch and when i returned 25 years later all my aunts and uncles and cousins were pretty much strangers.....

i'm sure they'd all love for it to be one big happy family again but it probably will be very awkward for a long time......

at least he forgot to kill himself

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to commondenom For This Useful Post:
a175, Arkoquisa, Azimuth, BryanXavier, gatagato, icheerthebull, kellyhound
Old 02-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Captain of a Sinking Ship
Poster Rank:883
Contributions: 14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss521

It'd be cool to a see a picture of him and the aged picture missing persons put out.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pbaj12 For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, BoBar, BryanXavier, icheerthebull, kellyhound, Oswald2001, tbone79
Old 02-13-2016, 01:32 PM
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:79
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12543

Nice to see a happy ending to a mission person case.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
icheerthebull, Oswald2001, tbone79
Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Metal Mike
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

This reminds me of a guy named Shane Fell. A few years ago, it seemed I couldn't drive a single mile on my route without seeing a poster about him stating that he had gone missing after his vehicle was found at the scene of a single-car accident with not a single trace of him to follow therefrom. The poster stated that amnesia from head trauma was the theory his family and the cops were working with.

I don't know if they ever found him because I never followed up on it, but it'll blow my mind if I hear his name on the news some 30 years from now.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:40 AM
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 203
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51195

That's truly remarkable!

Quite the adjustment to make now though.

Why not join us at:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
kellyhound, Oswald2001, tbone79
Old 02-17-2016, 02:11 AM
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:144
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
12/20 6/20
Today Posts
10/11 sssss6831

I wonder if he is cured of his depression, and what kind of life he's led all this time

The Following User Says Thank You to vagabond For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2016, 09:37 AM
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:99
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2699 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 15/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss10333

He didn't know who he was or where he came from for all those years.

He knew exactly who he was and where he came from for all those years.

The Mind can be a terrible Master.

Attached Images
The Following User Says Thank You to Oswald2001 For This Useful Post: