Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21528
Man Overhears Sad Tale in Diner, Secretly Pays For Meal

October 16, 2013
~msn.com~

When one mystery diner in a Boston restaurant overheard a mother and daughter get some bad news, he took out a pen and scribbled this note to his waiter, "Do me a favor and bring me their check, too. Someone just got diagnosed. Don't tell them."

The waiter, impressed by his customer's act of kindness, posted the note on Reddit — and we're glad he did. (Now we get to have our ,"faith in humanity restored," too.) The waiter, known as Whiskkas on Reddit, writes that the two women started crying after the daughter received a phone call mid-meal, and that he then combined the two bills as requested. He added, "I waited until the guy left and told them he had taken care of their check, and that he said best wishes, which was what he said to do on the note he wrote me on his second bill. The mother cried even harder, I almost lost it."

Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
bannedinamerica, Darkest Angel, ExotiKka, icheerthebull, JONESJIM, Megamel29, Pyramid_Head, Spitfire Dynamo, Sybil
The Following Users Disliked This Post By diamondsmiles:
subhuman
Old 10-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Darkest Angel
Offline:
Born in the USA
Poster Rank:74
100% female
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12899
Re: Man Overhears Sad Tale in Diner, Secretly Pays For Meal

Bittersweet. That was good of him.

The Following User Says Thank You to Darkest Angel For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

Restoring faith for sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
alyjo07, diamondsmiles
Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 AM
slapchoppa
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:539

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1138

the cynic in me calls bullshit.
first - maybe things are done different where this note originates from, but here, doctors don't give out diagnosis' on the phone. my sister's doctor wouldn't tell her over the phone that her pregnancy blood work came back with her sugars being a half-point higher than they should be.. i have a hard time believing that she would get a cancer (?) diagnosis over the phone.
second: if he takes the time to call the waitress over, why not just talk to her instead? oh right, cause then we wouldn't have anything to show off on reddit, tumblr or whatever.
third: if this guy is so awesome why would he even say "someone got diagnosed." an act of kindness is paying for the meal with no explanation needed, or if anything : ' sounds like they are having a bad day let me get their meal'. instead, he shares the bad news with the waitress...?
whatever. bs, from slapchoppa.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:19 AM
icheerthebull
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:290
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2802

if the person ws close enough to hear the news they would have heard him/her asking to pay for their meal

America is just the country that shows how all the written guarantees in the world for freedom are no protection against tyranny and oppression of the worst kind. There the politician has come to be looked upon as the very scum of society - Peter Kropotkin
Old 10-20-2013, 05:42 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by icheerthebull View Post
if the person ws close enough to hear the news they would have heard him/her asking to pay for their meal
He wrote a note.

I was in a Dunkin' Donuts with my niece last week. I saw a man I had seen before paying and looking like he was counting change.

Been there! I save quarters in my car ashtray.

I asked the waitress if I could give him a coupon, which I did. I don't drink coffee. I gave him what I had left in other coupons.

He needed a shave and looked like a change of clothing.

On his way to the table, he dropped a $5 bill on my table and told me to give it to my niece and that I was a nice mother :) I told him he didn't have to do that. He said I gave him a lot of good coupons to save him money.

He had plenty of other cash! My niece thanked him and we gave him some free pretzel coupons for The Filthydelphia Pretzel Factory across the parking lot.

On my way out, I held up my iced tea as a toast :)

Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapchoppa View Post
the cynic in me calls bullshit.
first - maybe things are done different where this note originates from, but here, doctors don't give out diagnosis' on the phone. my sister's doctor wouldn't tell her over the phone that her pregnancy blood work came back with her sugars being a half-point higher than they should be.. i have a hard time believing that she would get a cancer (?) diagnosis over the phone.
second: if he takes the time to call the waitress over, why not just talk to her instead? oh right, cause then we wouldn't have anything to show off on reddit, tumblr or whatever.
third: if this guy is so awesome why would he even say "someone got diagnosed." an act of kindness is paying for the meal with no explanation needed, or if anything : ' sounds like they are having a bad day let me get their meal'. instead, he shares the bad news with the waitress...?
whatever. bs, from slapchoppa.
Perhaps, a family member called her and gave her the news.