Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3421
Re: Man Back in Prison for 90 Years After Court Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
that they all got together and damn near gave this idiot 100 years in prison.
Don't judges give out the sentences on their own at their own during sentencing?

The Following User Says Thank You to Shadedwill For This Useful Post:
30564U
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 PM
chefbob09
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:243
Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3577

Good.

The Following User Says Thank You to chefbob09 For This Useful Post:
30564U
The Following Users Disliked This Post By chefbob09:
winvens
Old 05-11-2014, 03:03 PM
30564U
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadedwill View Post
Don't judges give out the sentences on their own at their own during sentencing?
It depends on the state/location. You can bet that in this case the jury was more than likely unanimous in their decision. 98 years is a pretty big sentence. By the way, I believe the charges in this case included Armed Robbery. Robbery is by definition a violent crime and a serious felony in virtually all jurisdictions.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Shadedwill
Offline:
Poster Rank:250
Male (evidently surprisingly)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3421

Quote:
It depends on the state/location. You can bet that in this case the jury was more than likely unanimous in their decision. 98 years is a pretty big sentence. By the way, I believe the charges in this case included Armed Robbery. Robbery is by definition a violent crime and a serious felony in virtually all jurisdictions.
Not to mention the kidnapping charge.
I'm mostly neutral on my take in this, but I knew several people here would have a strong opinion on this so I just wanted to see.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shadedwill For This Useful Post:
30564U
Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Pie
Offline:
العضو التناسلي النسوي
Poster Rank:261
Too cool for Genetalia

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3177

I personally think 98 years is a bit ridiculous, murderers and rapists have been known to walk away with smaller sentences. I think the judge was just on their high horse when sentencing him and let personally feelings get in the way.

Whilst armed robbery is a serious offence it in no way deserves life in prison if nobody was actually hurt or killed, the guy made some bad life choices but the judge sentenced him like he was the mastermind behind 9/11.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

I'd like to know more specifics relating to the crimes he got the 98 year sentence for. For all I know at this point, he could have tortured the people at the places he robbed and that info just hasn't been released. Or maybe the jury/court/judge wanted to make an example of him? I don't know.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

Rapists get lesser sentences, he must have been a bad boy to get 98 years.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blewvane For This Useful Post:
30564U
Old 05-12-2014, 11:02 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Let's not forget that in most cases a 98 year sentence with good time credit, the bad guy will actually serve around 60 years. Which is still a lot of time. The courts take robbery with proofs very seriously and this isn't an extreme sentence in this case.

Ok, this is going to be a bit complicated to explain but since we're all taxpayers then everyone should know where their tax dollars are going and how the court/prison system works.

There are two ways someone can be sentenced in the US, "indeterminant" and "determinant". "Indeterminant" sentencing is when the bad guy is given a prison sentence such as "5, 7, or 12 years" in prison. In other words, at the 5 year and 7 year mark the bad guy will be given the opportunity to go before the parole authority and plead to be released on parole. The convict must prove to parole authority that he/she have been sufficiently problem free and participated in "rehabilitation" programs enough to be allowed out early. This is by far the best, but most expensive way to sentence criminals. This way they have to work or program to earn their way out. These are usually the best type of convicts to set free...they will 99% of the time have a plan, a job, and a stable place to live and will have a tremendously better chance of going straight and not reoffending once paroled. Not used a lot anymore.

"Determinant" sentencing is what we have in California and it sucks. Determinant sentencing is where the bad guy is sentenced to 3 years. That's it...when the time's up the idiot is released, ready or not. This is why here in California we have parolees living under bridges and sex offenders roaming around homeless. This type of sentencing has no motivation built in so the convict has a reason to work to rehabilitate him or her self prior to release. This is he cheapest way to run a prison system because they all get out as soon as possible. This was put into place here in California by his gayness Jerry Brown way back when he was governor in the early seventies. He gave the reason for this massive change because he was afraid that minorities would sue because they wouldn't program and be released early. Typical progressive thinking. Now our system is so screwed up that it can't be fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel
Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Darkest Angel
Offline:
Born in the USA
Poster Rank:74
100% female
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12899

Quote:
Let's not forget that in most cases a 98 year sentence with good time credit, the bad guy will actually serve around 60 years. Which is still a lot of time. The courts take robbery with proofs very seriously and this isn't an extreme sentence in this case.

Ok, this is going to be a bit complicated to explain but since we're all taxpayers then everyone should know where their tax dollars are going and how the court/prison system works.

There are two ways someone can be sentenced in the US, "indeterminant" and "determinant". "Indeterminant" sentencing is when the bad guy is given a prison sentence such as "5, 7, or 12 years" in prison. In other words, at the 5 year and 7 year mark the bad guy will be given the opportunity to go before the parole authority and plead to be released on parole. The convict must prove to parole authority that he/she have been sufficiently problem free and participated in "rehabilitation" programs enough to be allowed out early. This is by far the best, but most expensive way to sentence criminals. This way they have to work or program to earn their way out. These are usually the best type of convicts to set free...they will 99% of the time have a plan, a job, and a stable place to live and will have a tremendously better chance of going straight and not reoffending once paroled. Not used a lot anymore.

"Determinant" sentencing is what we have in California and it sucks. Determinant sentencing is where the bad guy is sentenced to 3 years. That's it...when the time's up the idiot is released, ready or not. This is why here in California we have parolees living under bridges and sex offenders roaming around homeless. This type of sentencing has no motivation built in so the convict has a reason to work to rehabilitate him or her self prior to release. This is he cheapest way to run a prison system because they all get out as soon as possible. This was put into place here in California by his gayness Jerry Brown way back when he was governor in the early seventies. He gave the reason for this massive change because he was afraid that minorities would sue because they wouldn't program and be released early. Typical progressive thinking. Now our system is so screwed up that it can't be fixed.
3 years that is insane!!

Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 AM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts