Ladybug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2800
The Mad Hatters

DETROIT, May 14 (UPI) -- A criminal cadre of older women in hats, The Mad Hatters, have long been sought for numerous wallet thefts in the Detroit area, police say.

"We may never find who they all are, but we've got some good leads, and we're going to identify some of them, at least," Sterling Heights police Lt. Luke Riley told the Detroit Free Press.

He said it appears the supposed ring may have begun nabbing money and checks from unattended purses about a year ago, though one such report fitting the Hatters' profile exists from 2008, he told the paper.

Riley estimated the group seen on surveillance footage has stolen between $400,000 and $500,000, with banks losing the bulk of that in checks.

Bank investigators reportedly are working hard to provide police with images and other data to round up the suspects. One bank reportedly lost $200,000 to the thefts of checks.

Police in at least four separate counties have been struck, with tip sharing on crimes fitting the groups profile often difficult.

"Just because you're getting tips doesn't mean the person you want is in the tip file," Robert Homant, chairman of the criminal justice department at the University of Detroit Mercy told the Free Press. "I'm not convinced they're in the area."

Old 05-15-2011, 01:14 PM
güttsfükk
Offline:
Super *********
Poster Rank:34

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22942
Re: The Mad Hatters

why do the banks lose the money? is it because they failed to see the cheques werent signed by the account holder and cashed fraudulent cheques?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Australia Mate!
Poster Rank:238
I have a map of Tasmania

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3686
Re: The Mad Hatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by güttsfükk View Post
why do the banks lose the money? is it because they failed to see the cheques werent signed by the account holder and cashed fraudulent cheques?
Exactly!