Poster Rank:3330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss64
London Tourist Attraction Opens 'Rat Cafe'

groundbreaking? no. controversial? for some, yes. speaking for myself, I would love to see something like this in america.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...es-London.html
Quote:
• London Dungeon creates quirky cafe where customers can drink with rats
• Guests are able to handle the 'misunderstood' rodents as they enjoy a coffee

By Travelmail Reporter

Published: 11:36 EST, 1 July 2014 | Updated: 11:36 EST, 1 July 2014

For a good ten years now, coffee has been Britain’s new obsession – with high street chains popping up everywhere to challenge our image as a nation of tea drinkers.

But the new brand of caffeine launched by a major tourist attraction may be a step too far for even the most latté-obsessed fans of hot beverages.

London Dungeon – an enclave of spooky corridors and shock-tactic exhibits which looks at the darker side of the history of the capital city – is celebrating the opening of its Rat Café, and with it, the chance for guests to enjoy a nice mug of ‘Ratuccino’.

The concept has been dreamed up in response to the current Japanese craze for ‘Cat Cafes’ – where customers sip lunchtime drinks in the company of resident felines.

This London version, as you might have guessed, involves not purring moggies but scampering, twitching – and very real – rodents.

Brave souls can also opt to eat at the café – where, if they can stomach the bad pun as much as the very idea of it – they can try Black Forest Rateux.

Health and safety officials will be relieved to hear that neither food nor drink at the Rat Café includes rats as genuine ingredients – but willing guests can, if they so choose, enjoy both while the little creatures dash about the room, or even sit on their shoulders.

Although this unusual form of catering is largely for fun, there is also a mildly serious point to it – an attempt to rehabilitate the image of a much-maligned creature.

‘Rats have been tarnished with an undeserved reputation throughout history – from the Black Death of the Middle Ages to the great stink of Victorian times,’ says Hywel Mathias of London Dungeon.

‘We wanted to challenge those perceptions and show they are actually characterful and full of fun.’

Eighteen rats were unleashed on café guests – all of whom have rodent day jobs at the London Dungeon, and have been vetted to mingle with the public.

‘We have 18 rodents living here, and they are a huge hit with our guests, who get to see them close up in their special display, with giant viewing windows,’ Mr Mathias adds.

‘Our café takes that a step further, and lets people get even closer, handle them, stroke them and really get to know them.’

Although the Rat Café was a one-off for a group of rat-loving guests, London Dungeon is considering making the idea a regular event.

‘Judging by first reactions, this pop-up rat café could become a regular date on the eccentric things to do calendar,’ Mr Hywel says.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
article-2676715-1F4E2A0600000578-170_634x411.jpg  

article-2676715-1F4E2A6200000578-885_634x393.jpg  

article-2676715-1F4E28AC00000578-471_634x412.jpg  

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to K-Blast For This Useful Post:
30564U, b0g, Bastet, Clubhouse, Darkest Angel, gatagato, Illusion, K9Grip, kellyhound, Kelseecat65
Old 07-03-2014, 05:13 AM
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10883 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss25812
Re: London Tourist Attraction Opens 'Rat Cafe'

No one ever said rats are beautiful intelligent clean animals.

The Following User Says Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 AM
Clubhouse
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:7

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 25063 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss65212

Great and novel idea, I bet they'll make a mint

The Following User Says Thank You to Clubhouse For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 07-03-2014, 08:09 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss5486

In London there's already Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium, a Cat/gato-cafe: now if they want to add some thrill to the fun, all they have to do is to mix the two together.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Bastet, Clubhouse, Darkest Angel, invertigo, kellyhound, rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 07-03-2014, 09:22 AM
corpsehands
LLKH
Poster Rank:29
dong

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 12432 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss25011

Rats are fascinating creatures.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to corpsehands For This Useful Post:
Bastet, Clubhouse, Darkest Angel, gatagato, winvens
Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337

awww, what a fun way to get sick

Darkest Angel, gatagato, rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 PM
K-Blast
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3330

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
awww, what a fun way to get sick
I've never gotten an illness from handling rats. :P you just have to make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after touching them.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to K-Blast For This Useful Post:
Bastet, Clubhouse, gatagato, Kanda444, MadCore, winvens
Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Blast View Post
I've never gotten an illness from handling rats. :P you just have to make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after touching them.
yeah... like going to the bathroom, which a lot of people (disgustingly) dont do .....then you get things like norovirus.

i wouldnt have my cats at the table with me when i eat.....i have the same rule with all animals. im not saying rats are filthier than other animals. im saying having animals that end up inevitably stepping in their own feces (like cats, dogs, rats, ferrets, birds) at the table where you're going to eat isnt the healthiest choice if you dont like getting sick. all it takes is a little fecal matter on your hands getting in your food or mouth and you're sick.

Bastet, gatagato, MadCore, winvens
Old 07-03-2014, 12:58 PM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:354
Contributions: 1

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2093

Quote:
yeah... like going to the bathroom, which a lot of people (disgustingly) dont do .....then you get things like norovirus.

i wouldnt have my cats at the table with me when i eat.....i have the same rule with all animals. im not saying rats are filthier than other animals. im saying having animals that end up inevitably stepping in their own feces (like cats, dogs, rats, ferrets, birds) at the table where you're going to eat isnt the healthiest choice if you dont like getting sick. all it takes is a little fecal matter on your hands getting in your food or mouth and you're sick.
I'm with you, I like rats just fine but this is a poor idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to DannyDrama For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 PM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss5486

Quote:

Yeah, my cat walks away when i sit at the table, he got used to do so since he was little, he has his own corner with his food and water, and an outdoor area for the litter: many people turn their pets into table beggars and that's a very filthy habit: it's disgusting and also very annoying for me to be harassed while i'm eating, a friend of mine uses to lock her dog somewhere if i'm there for dinner as she knows that i wouldn't even sit at the table otherwise.
Afaik rats are clean, sweet and smart, cool pets, but like any other pet should stay away from human's food (unless you are in a Chinese restaurant, in that case the pet could be THE food).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Bastet, Brometheus, Darkest Angel, Kanda444, winvens