Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527
Lifeguard Fired For Attempting to Save a Life

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc88d3" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=48087525&amp;width=420&amp;height=24 5" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc88d3" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=48087525&amp;width=420&amp;heigh t=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

A Florida lifeguard who was fired for leaving his patrol zone to rescue a man drowning was offered his job back Thursday, NBCMiami.com reported.

But, lifeguard, Tomas Lopez, told NBCMiami.com that he would not be accepting the offer.

The company that fired Lopez, Jeff Ellis Management, was hired by the City of Hallandale to provide lifeguards for the city's beach and pools, the Sun Sentinel reported.

Lopez, who became a lifeguard four months ago, was fired when he violated company policy Monday, NBCMiami.com reported. Lopez went into waters outside the lifeguard zone the company is paid to patrol after a beachgoer told him someone was drowning.

A sign separating the zones warns everyone to swim at their own risk.

Company officials told the Sentinel that beachgoers in Lopez's zone were put in jeopardy when he left the area.

"I was on stand, and guests came up to me and told me there was someone drowning, that people were screaming and so I started running in the direction," Lopez told NBCMiami.

NBCMiami.com reported that a manager told Lopez to call 911 instead. Lopez said he couldn't just sit back and do nothing while the man was in trouble.

By the time he arrived, the man had been pulled out the water by other beachgoers, but he assisted in treating the victim.

After filing an incident report, Lopez was fired, the Sentinel reported.

"They didn't tell me in a bad way. It was more like they were sorry, but rules are rules," Lopez said. "I couldn't believe what was happening."

Several coworkers said they quit in protest.

"On radio I heard Tommy saying, 'I'm going for a rescue but it’s out of our zone,' said Kalok Geng, a coworker who quit.

Company president Jeff Ellis, said that one employee was fired and three had resigned.

Ellis told the station previously that an investigation would be conducted.

"If he was well-intentioned and tried to do what he believed was the right thing, even if he deviated from policy, I'm not sure termination was the right thing to do," Ellis said in a statement.

Watch US News videos on msnbc.com

City officials felt the situation called for Lopez to go and help the man in trouble.

"The city's position is if there's an actual emergency, the lifeguard should assist instead of waiting for a perceived emergency," Hallandale Beach spokesman Peter Dobens told NBCMiami.com.

*This guy took his job title seriously! Rulese are rules, but, sometimes, they have to be bended. I think this is one such instance.

I had a similar situation with a car accident when I was a teenager. A guy hit me and two cars pulled over the drunk at a gas station. The Police who arrive couldn't do anything because the on which I was hit was one street into another district. They didn't even call the correct district!*

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, durt, luciddrmr
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Flaka
Offline:
Tuya
Poster Rank:19

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37570
Re: Lifeguard Fired For Attempting to Save a Life

although the swimmer was stupid for swimming outside the safe zone, that lifeguard did the right thing and if anything, should be rewarded. A human life is far more important than some company rules. Fuck that company.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flaka For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, diamondsmiles, durt, luciddrmr, NeckKnifeWarrior
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM
bobblob23
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3527

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaka View Post
although the swimmer was stupid for swimming outside the safe zone, that lifeguard did the right thing and if anything, should be rewarded. A human life is far more important than some company rules. Fuck that company.
im sure if it hadnt recieved so much media attention, the companys president wouldnt be doing shit right now

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobblob23 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Flaka
Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Flaka
Offline:
Tuya

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37570

I agree.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flaka For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 07-06-2012, 12:50 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

When I first saw it on the news, the first thought it my head was, "Did I miss something here or not hear correctly? Lifeguard fired for saving life?"

Lifeguard = guard life

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, bobblob23
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 AM
redelefant
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:830
2 heads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssssss572

They should get a lifeguard for that other zone.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:49 AM
dean mclean
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:350
male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2115

I feel like the purpose of those zones should be to prevent litigation by swimmers, not to discipline lifeguards

The Following User Says Thank You to dean mclean For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
k_dub
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:285

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2893

Wtf. I would actually smack the firer in the face.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 PM
durt
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:95
male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11280

the media is reporting that the company realized it's (stupid) mistake, and re-hired him!

The Following User Says Thank You to durt For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 07-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Flaka
Offline:
Tuya

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts