Contributions: 28
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11449
Lee Harvey Oswald's Wedding Band for Auction

Lee Harvey Oswald's gold wedding band is seen next to the Secret Service receipt for the ring. Oswald's widow has put the ring up for auction.

Nearly 50 years after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, Marina Oswald Porter, the widow of the late Lee Harvey Oswald, has decided to auction off her husband’s wedding band.

Porter has spent much of the last 50 years separated from the ring. It was confiscated by the Secret Service 10 days after the assassination and then returned to Porter’s lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas, on December 30, 1964. The ring was recovered from a manila folder marked “Do Not Destroy — Historic Value” in 2004 and was only given to Porter about six months ago, once proper ownership had been established, according to The Dallas Morning News.

In a letter that is to be auctioned in October by New Hampshire’s RR Auction alongside the ring, Porter expresses her wish to sever all ties with Nov. 22, 1963 – a day which she calls “the worst day of my life.”

“I don’t wish to have Lee’s ring in my possession,” Porter writes in the letter “because symbolically I want to let go of my past that is connecting with Nov. 22, 1963.” Porter is remarried, with children and grandchildren.

The letter also chronicles the ring’s history and significance. It was purchased in a jewelry store in Minsk in 1961. Oswald allegedly never took the ring off until the morning of the fateful day, when he left the ring, along with a small amount of money, on his wife’s bedside table.

The ring was mentioned twice in the Warren Commission proceedings. During the investigation, the committee insinuated that the ring – which is engraved with a hammer and sickle – held a deeper meaning for Oswald and, possibly, for his late wife.

The auction house anticipates that the ring will sell for between $30,000 and $50,000.

Marina Oswald Porter documented the ring's history in an accompanying letter dated May 5, 2013, seen with a picture of her and Lee Harvey Oswald.

More in-depth story and many more photos here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GODREKR For This Useful Post:
kellyhound, slapchoppa