Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649
Re: At Least Ten Killed in Charlie Hebdo Shooting in France

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBR View Post
Let me guess, they were in the context of WWII, and maybe, just maybe WWI. German history spans thousands of years. Imagine if someone from another country comes and starts asking the same questions that were asked before, about a time period that does not describe their culture and current state.

72% of French people have a good opinion on Angela Merkel, in poll did by IFOP recently.
Just like a recent poll that came out saying that Obama was the most admired man in America. Which we all know is nonsense.

It just shows what part of the population showed up to vote in the poll.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
niknik, Oswald2001, wujuan
Old 01-08-2015, 06:04 PM
MCBR
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:76

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12857

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Grip View Post
Tell me all about how cool you are since you're part of the EU, again?

You harp all over the US, so you have zero ground here.
I'm serious. Those are all shitty jokes I post when bored, in the Watercooler.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:06 PM
MCBR
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:76

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12857

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Grip View Post
Just like a recent poll that came out saying that Obama was the most admired man in America. Which we all know is nonsense.

It just shows what part of the population showed up to vote in the poll.
Doesn't change the fact that you visited the place, while I speak from experience by living here and the fact that everyone I know shares the opinion.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:06 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
I'm serious. Those are all shitty jokes I post when bored, in the Watercooler.
Sure. That's why you do it all the time. If you're that bored, get a hobby.

The Following User Says Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001
Old 01-08-2015, 06:07 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat

Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that you visited the place, while I speak from experience by living here and the fact that everyone I know shares the opinion.
Read my other comment. I did not "visit" I lived there. I went to college in Mannheim.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
MCBR, Oswald2001
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM
iwannasee
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:4444

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss39

I actually came in here to look at stuff about the Charlie shooting but I'll throw a comment out about the Nazi conversation. My father is American, Mother is German. They met when my dad was in the Army stationed in Germany. I am in Germany every 2 years and my mom is in Germany every year for 4/12 (1/3) months and on the phone with Germany 365 days a year (yak yak yak yak). I have had extended conversations (yes many) with my five Uncles and Oma and great Uncles and cousins etc. on the wars and Nazis. They are all very educated on the topic. There is no shyness about talking about it as a lot (can't say most because I don't have numbers) were against what the Nazis were doing. There was no cheering on the Nazis like you see in the movies and propaganda. They lived in fear of the Nazis. That is why you hear them referred to in third person. They were not "Germany". I have three cousins visiting in a couple of weeks and we will have many long conversations about it again as they ask typical questions about America, I will about Germany. Please let me know if there are any questions you want me to ask.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iwannasee For This Useful Post:
BBKF, wujuan
Old 01-08-2015, 07:42 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat

Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannasee View Post
I actually came in here to look at stuff about the Charlie shooting but I'll throw a comment out about the Nazi conversation. My father is American, Mother is German. They met when my dad was in the Army stationed in Germany. I am in Germany every 2 years and my mom is in Germany every year for 4/12 (1/3) months and on the phone with Germany 365 days a year (yak yak yak yak). I have had extended conversations (yes many) with my five Uncles and Oma and great Uncles and cousins etc. on the wars and Nazis. They are all very educated on the topic. There is no shyness about talking about it as a lot (can't say most because I don't have numbers) were against what the Nazis were doing. There was no cheering on the Nazis like you see in the movies and propaganda. They lived in fear of the Nazis. That is why you hear them referred to in third person. They were not "Germany". I have three cousins visiting in a couple of weeks and we will have many long conversations about it again as they ask typical questions about America, I will about Germany. Please let me know if there are any questions you want me to ask.
I'm not being rude, but that's you family. My grandfather talked for ages about his involvement in WWII, but I'm his granddaughter.

There's no doubt there were people who lived in fear, but an operation like the Nazi's doesn't come to power without support - and support in high places, as well.

I don't blame people for wanting to remove themselves from the situation, it was obviously grotesque and in many cases unimaginable. But, everyone pretending they had no involvement is an absolute lie.

I had all my questions answered, through my own research. Thanks anyhow.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001, spudigitti, wujuan
Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 PM
TheVrist
Offline:
😉
Poster Rank:88
dude

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4573 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss11707

The people of Germany, and the whole Nazi deal, is like the whites in America over the slave deal.

Everyone knows about it, some are passive about it, some take some form of pride on it, then we have a white guilt sector.

K9Grip, spudigitti, TheFallOfTroyML, winvens, wujuan
Old 01-08-2015, 08:28 PM
iwannasee
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:4444

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss39

I wouldn't say my "family" but the whole town. The majority of these conversations didn't happen behind closed doors or in confidence, they happened out in the streets, at the pool, with friends and strangers more than a few occasions joining in on the conversation. I'm just saying that there was never a time when I felt that we weren't supposed to talk about it or that someone was uneducated. Even doing touristy stuff like visiting castles and churches, they would talk about the nazis' involvement/roles in the use and destruction. It was an open book. The good and the bad. And of course they had supporters but like you said, they had supporters in the right areas. They took advantage of the times and gave boys and men something to give to their family. So at the beginning, they did have the support. But it didn't last long. And I wasn't targeting you at all, K9Grip. Just throwing my .02 out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to iwannasee For This Useful Post:
BBKF
Old 01-08-2015, 08:48 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat

Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannasee View Post
I wouldn't say my "family" but the whole town. The majority of these conversations didn't happen behind closed doors or in confidence, they happened out in the streets, at the pool, with friends and strangers more than a few occasions joining in on the conversation. I'm just saying that there was never a time when I felt that we weren't supposed to talk about it or that someone was uneducated. Even doing touristy stuff like visiting castles and churches, they would talk about the nazis' involvement/roles in the use and destruction. It was an open book. The good and the bad. And of course they had supporters but like you said, they had supporters in the right areas. They took advantage of the times and gave boys and men something to give to their family. So at the beginning, they did have the support. But it didn't last long. And I wasn't targeting you at all, K9Grip. Just throwing my .02 out there.

When I was hitting the tourist sites, people gab. There are no secrets there, but then again you can't really hide when you're staring at the truth.

I lived on an old German military site and I had tried to figure out what had happened there during WWII that people kept mum about. I did eventually figure it, without the help of any of my German friends. But, it always made me feel weird why no one would talk about it. With everything that happened during WWII, there was nothing on this particular Kaserne that would even compare to what happened in the concentration camps.

I didn't think you were singling me out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
iwannasee, Oswald2001