Quoted: 1544 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3871
Re: Leaked ISIS Documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink. View Post
There would havd to be a reason for it.not just putting people onm alert.

I would say its real if it were to a target audience...an audience with some wherewithall...but political correctness would disallow that now wouldnt it?
I was thinking about that as well . There's no telling how old this news is .
Do they have people under watch then put the information out to see them moving .
Have they followed all the information as far as it can go then made a strategic move to quite the public . Who knows . Not me .

The Following User Says Thank You to wmbondurant For This Useful Post:
a175
Old 03-13-2016, 02:43 PM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:435

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

I do believe some of the information is 2 to 3 years old. The value in this could be tracking those that have gone to Syria and returned to Europe (which I still think is nuts), as well as working to unlock the logistical/personnel side of things. Since the lists also should have next-of-kin information, it wouldn't be a bad idea to question the families (many of which, it has been reported, disagreed with those that joined ISIS or are unaware of it) in order to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
Being that it seems the information went to the media, it's just speculation by my opinions are that either:
A. The media didn't think the government is doing enough, and decided to put pressure on the intelligence agencies by publicizing the information
B. Governments addressing this is damage control
C. This is just old-fashioned media doing what media does... talking about things that perhaps they shouldn't. Wouldn't be the first time.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:55 PM
wmbondurant
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:229

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3871

Quote:
Originally Posted by a175 View Post
I do believe some of the information is 2 to 3 years old. The value in this could be tracking those that have gone to Syria and returned to Europe (which I still think is nuts), as well as working to unlock the logistical/personnel side of things. Since the lists also should have next-of-kin information, it wouldn't be a bad idea to question the families (many of which, it has been reported, disagreed with those that joined ISIS or are unaware of it) in order to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
Being that it seems the information went to the media, it's just speculation by my opinions are that either:
A. The media didn't think the government is doing enough, and decided to put pressure on the intelligence agencies by publicizing the information
B. Governments addressing this is damage control
C. This is just old-fashioned media doing what media does... talking about things that perhaps they shouldn't. Wouldn't be the first time.
D: it's an election year and anything goes .
So, yes that you be B.&C. Rolled into one .
Terrorism is the number one thought after the economy or visa -versa ?

a175
Old 03-13-2016, 03:33 PM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

Indeed. It is often the case that news stories are either pushed or covered during election cycles.

The Following User Says Thank You to a175 For This Useful Post:
wmbondurant
Old 03-13-2016, 03:59 PM
wmbondurant
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
8/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3871

There is not a lot of coverage about the "ceasefire " in Syria . I would think this would be "hot news" ? I'm guessing it's all so tentative , no news is good news ?

a175
Old 03-13-2016, 04:25 PM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbondurant View Post
There is not a lot of coverage about the "ceasefire " in Syria . I would think this would be "hot news" ? I'm guessing it's all so tentative , no news is good news ?
Hard to say.
It would be a good thing, indeed. I think the insistence on Assad stepping down before anything happens needs to be dropped. He won't give up easily, and most of the reports that incriminate him comes from some seriously biased sources.
There are so many facets to the issue, and honestly the least of which is sectarianism. Contrary to popular belief, there hasn't been a Sunni-Shia war going on for 1400 years. Those who benefit the most from the sectarian conflicts are neither Sunni not Shia, and those two groups have managed to live next to each other in relative harmony on many occasions and in many places.
That's not to say there hasn't been conflict between the two.
However, much of it has come from outside influence and the results have almost always been bad for everyone except those pulling the strings (which still have suffered conequences, just not as obvious or dramatically as the pawns).
When we look at majority-minority struggles, the thing that keeps any of my optimism checked is the historical results. When oppressed minorities finally claim victory, rarely does peace follow. I suppose that's a human trait. It's not often people forgive the oppressor when they finally get the foot taken off their heads.
As you've stated before, there is a balance. The more we fight it, the less we as a species succeed.
I would use Lebanon (well, not now but in years past) as a decent example of balance in the region. Syria has also been an example, but obviously that's been shot to hell.
Iraq was a dismal failure-
It was a Sunni majority that oppressed Shia and Kurds, yet under secular rule. It seems odd on the face of it, but it had more to do with ethnic and tribal differences than anything else. In our attempt to right the wrongs, we reversed the scenario rather than levelling the playing field. Predictable results followed. We should have known better, and in our naivety we seemed to forget that Iran would benefit the most from our actions. Furthermore, while on the outside sectarianism violence overran the region, radicals from both sides managed to find common ground against the "occupation".
I mean, I'm all for teamwork but that's not the kind we need.

As has been stated before, there is a moral dilemma. Staying out of the region may look harsh and make us seem heartless, but it's better if we don't get involved any more than we already have. Unfortunately, I don't think we are capable at this time to be impartial. We have too many self-conflicting interests.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a175 For This Useful Post:
Pink., wmbondurant
Old 03-13-2016, 10:20 PM
wmbondurant
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
8/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3871

I can remember when the Syria channel came on line @ liveleak . I followed it in awe for several years , wanting us to help those poor people that were getting slaughtered . 25000 dead then 50000 and on and on .
As the civil war wore on , I started to gain more insight about Assad and started to think more along the lines as you were stating .
I'm not so sure that being an isolationist country would Benifit us or the world as a whole but I do agree that we should be very sparing with our military assistance . At best , arming particular groups to fight Thier oun wars .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmbondurant For This Useful Post:
a175, Pink.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:43 PM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
Poster Rank:8
female

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 9043 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbondurant View Post
I was thinking about that as well . There's no telling how old this news is .
Do they have people under watch then put the information out to see them moving .
Have they followed all the information as far as it can go then made a strategic move to quite the public . Who knows . Not me .
You seem to know quite a bit about the machinations of the governmental entities working that region at this moment in time. this is apparently a case of followig the information, following specific subjects or groups of subjects, and allowing them to perform certain actions until they are wither following their wishes or NOT, wither way....then the information is exposed to the public...including the anti government/anti public movements.....or the pro public actions....depending upon how it is wanted to be...ddepeding upon the desires of the governments...if you can call them that,

Then you have xonquest and domination or you have mass slaughter,,,,It may be in the form of a saviour or a despo.,

a175, wmbondurant