Poster Rank:230

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3865
Re: Leaked ISIS Documents

Just talking of Egypt brings a scowl to my face , without going into a diatribe , I'll say I'm happy that the army took over . That's a very complicated arena that breeds an ancient brand of hate .As you well know ,Egypt was once a great ally of the United States , maybe again someday soon

Old 03-12-2016, 12:26 AM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:435

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

We might have to agree to disagree there.
Great ally on the face of it, but what he did to dissidents and our support of it didn't exactly do us any favors.
Regarding the Muslim Brotherhood, I'm not a fan. That being said, they won and therefore should have been given the chance to screw up.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a175 For This Useful Post:
icheerthebull, rob666, wmbondurant
Old 03-12-2016, 01:32 PM
wmbondurant
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
10/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3865

Let me correct this ; A good ally in the region at a moment in time . The Muslim Brotherhood were gangsters slowly murdering , imprisoning and replacing its foe . Actually , a good old fashion coup can be as democratic as an election . . I'm not a fan of Egypt .. I was eluding to our own Leaders in a round about way . I didn't want this conversation to become overtly political . I have strong opinions about our leadership that some would find offensive .

The Following User Says Thank You to wmbondurant For This Useful Post:
a175
Old 03-12-2016, 01:46 PM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbondurant View Post
Let me correct this ; A good ally in the region at a moment in time . The Muslim Brotherhood were gangsters slowly murdering , imprisoning and replacing its foe . Actually , a good old fashion coup can be as democratic as an election . . I'm not a fan of Egypt .. I was eluding to our own Leaders in a round about way . I didn't want this conversation to become overtly political . I have strong opinions about our leadership that some would find offensive .
Agree on the Muslim Brotherhood tactics. I would argue though that it's pretty much the same tactics used both previously by Mubarak and currently by the Egyptian military. That's where the disillusionment comes into play. We supported Mubarak and helped overthrow the MB in favor of the military. Same results. If we think this won't be remembered and capitalized on by radicals, we are definitely not learning any lessons from our past activities.

It's indicative of our selective outrage. Terrorists are kidnapping and murdering, governments are imprisoning and executing. Both are horrible atrocities, yet we somehow find it palatable when our "friends" do it.

That's what I say to get out and cut ties. We are either terrible judges of character or we are willing to overlook tyranny when it benefits us. Neither case is acceptable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a175 For This Useful Post:
rob666, winvens, wmbondurant
Old 03-12-2016, 02:19 PM
wmbondurant
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
10/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3865

Quote:
Originally Posted by a175 View Post
Agree on the Muslim Brotherhood tactics. I would argue though that it's pretty much the same tactics used both previously by Mubarak and currently by the Egyptian military. That's where the disillusionment comes into play. We supported Mubarak and helped overthrow the MB in favor of the military. Same results. If we think this won't be remembered and capitalized on by radicals, we are definitely not learning any lessons from our past activities.

It's indicative of our selective outrage. Terrorists are kidnapping and murdering, governments are imprisoning and executing. Both are horrible atrocities, yet we somehow find it palatable when our "friends" do it.

That's what I say to get out and cut ties. We are either terrible judges of character or we are willing to overlook tyranny when it benefits us. Neither case is acceptable.
Self preservation is and can be a great moral dilemma . There are forces in this universe and especially on this Earth that naturally balance us and our surroundings . Our sense of time and space is perversely limited naturally due to our organic nature . Without getting philosophical , I dig what you are saying and agree . You seem more informed than I on this subject . My opinions are product of a cumulative actions ,alongside a smidgen of prejudice (self preservation ).
Doing the next rite thing is more subjective than one could imagine . Having a good moral compass on the basics would ultimately stop all these wars and military actions .Mahatma Ghandi ; the non violent resolution .
It's just not going to happen in my life time or my child's lifetime . Surely there will be periods of peace in our future ,,,,,,,,, not

a175
Old 03-12-2016, 03:39 PM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

Agreed. And don't shy away from philosophy, my friend.

At most, peace in this world is relative.
We are only human. We have two eyes that both face the same direction, and therefore are more or less unable to judge what we are looking at in relation to what surrounds us.
We see the Middle East as a place of unending violence from the dawn of man until the end of time. Yet, this is simply a human trait. We are a quarrelsome species, and every civilization across this great planet throughout our history has been a violent civilization.
It amazes me how we are able to call others barbaric while disregarding our on sense of barbarism. Beheadings, mutilation, slavery... all are horrible things to witness. On the other hand, we have no issues with a head exploding from a sniper's well-placed headshot. We've made death and destruction into a video game with the advent of armed drones. We will separate and destroy families for violating what is considered law in one jurisdiction but not the next.

It's about perspective, brother. Gaining it requires that we leave our comfort zones, and that still terrifies me. But I also know how rewarding it can be. Once you're able to see even the worst monsters of humanity as real people, everything begins to change.
Until then we'll be fighting battles without winning wars.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a175 For This Useful Post:
winvens, wmbondurant
Old 03-12-2016, 09:26 PM
wmbondurant
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
10/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3865

It's about perspective, brother. Gaining it requires that we leave our comfort zones, and that still terrifies me. But I also know how rewarding it can be. Once you're able to see even the worst monsters of humanity as real people, everything begins to change.
Until then we'll be fighting battles without winning wars.[/QUOTE]
We grow at the speed of pain " pain just doesn't show up in our lives for no reason . It's a sign that something in our lives needs to change "

a175
Old 03-13-2016, 01:03 AM
a175
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1534

Well said, my man.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:29 AM
wmbondurant
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★

Activity Longevity
10/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3865

Quote:
Originally Posted by a175 View Post
Well said, my man.
Thanks bud , it's been a thoughtful conversation .

a175
Old 03-13-2016, 01:58 AM
Pink.
Offline:
TROLLBEGONE!!!!!
Poster Rank:8
female

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 9043 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss63927

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbondurant View Post
Hard to believe the authorities would put this information out to the public ,as to , put everybody on alert to change course .
There would havd to be a reason for it.not just putting people onm alert.

I would say its real if it were to a target audience...an audience with some wherewithall...but political correctness would disallow that now wouldnt it?

wmbondurant