Poster Rank:4692

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss36
Re: Launch Code for US Nukes Was 00000000 for 20 Years

This is actually false information. The original PALs only had 4 digits, then 6 and now 12.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 PM
azdesertsnake01
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:640
Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss871

I heard that during the Clinton years it was 6969696969, lol.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azdesertsnake01 For This Useful Post:
Megamel29, uloveme
Old 12-15-2013, 06:54 PM
uloveme
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1244
Male

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss302

Lol this is a very well known secret, there's an oxymoron. But I have read that the Officer in charge set it to all zero's because there was nothing that said they couldn't. It makes logical sense that in a time of crises theoretically with Soviet missile launches spotted by low orbital geosynchronous birds then it would make sense to be able to respond as quickly as possible. There are quite a few nuclear scares MUCH worse than this, read about the Soviet's "Dead Hand" which is still supposed to be in place, or the infamous "computer tape incident" which happened on nov 9th, 74. Too much to explain here but if you like that sorta stuff please look it up, its VERY interesting and somewhat scary.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 PM
uloveme
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1244
Male

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa1nt View Post
This is actually false information. The original PALs only had 4 digits, then 6 and now 12.

You're totally right, but there is something that don't quite add up. Depending on the Class of PAL that is with the Capsule will determine the numbers involved with the PAL code, also there were differences involved with each class, but the classes were A: 4 digits, B: 4 digits (basically just a small upgrade to A class) C: 6, D: 6, F: 12.
The all zero's code was true up until 1977. That was because the 50 minutemen silo's controlled by the SAC (strategic air command) absolutely hated the man forcing them to install and use PAL codes (Sec of Defense McNamara) so after he left, all 50 of the minutemen silo's controlled by the SAC were set to "eight zero's". That is a quote by Dr. Bruce Blair. I cannot confirm that or anything because I can't find a PAL class that used exactly 8 numbers. If anyone can answer that please let me know. But it overall was like this.

The whole thing sorta works like this (this is for everyone, not just a reply to you) First of all there are different kinds of missiles but this is the OVERALL idea of how it works. Also all nuclear weapons including SLBM's work under the "Two Man Rule" at all times. (Also this is how it would've worked with the all zero's code that was in place during that era), we don't use SIOP anymore so this doesn't apply anymore but it went like this.

The CJCS will communicate to the General Officer on duty (along with one other officer) at the (NMCC) at the Pentagon to release an EAM (emergency action message) which will contain an EWO, which is like the shit hit the fan message to all nuclear forces, and at least one more Officer at the Pentagon must confirm the EWO is real. The order also goes out to several other command centers but I'm keeping this short and sweet.

The the EAM orders continue down through the command structure, until it reaches the actual launch platforms themselves. Here is the relevant part, the EAM will contain the "PAL" code which will just simply "activate" or "arm" the weapon. The PAL code cannot launch the nuclear missile. It just simply arms it, that's all. And if the nuclear missile doesn't have technical things put into it during the final stages of a launch, such as the expected delivery path, zero-gravity coasting, and many aspects that have to do with its hypersonic reentry into the atmosphere, then the missile isn't going to do anything but sit there. And some of them are programmed to completely disable itself if it doesn't receive everything else needed to launch except the arming code (PAL) and therefore makes the PAL code useless.

Also there are "Environmental sensing devices" that make it INCREDIBLY near impossible for anybody but the whole command structure to launch and have an ICBM detonate over a target (yes those are two totally different things) this deals with the missile knowing it is going along the exact specific path that it was programmed with before launch. Along with sensing the exact temperature, acceleration curve etc....that it should be if it was following the path it was programmed with. Which is another entire subject into itself.

But I just wanted to clear that up so that nobody thinks the all zero's code made us close to launching a nuclear weapon or starting a war lol. It's just not knowing how the full launch command structure works and I hope I cleared that up for you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uloveme For This Useful Post:
Arsedestroyer, JohnFrash
Old 12-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Overgrued
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:6205
m-16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

THIS IS DELICIOUS KNOWLEDGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b View Post
As human beings it is our duty to rid the earth of the scourge of nuclear weapons.
^strike that, reverse it

Old 12-23-2013, 04:34 PM
PTSD Is My Life
Offline:
Your Mothers Nightmare...
Poster Rank:302
Male

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b View Post
As human beings it is our duty to rid the earth of the scourge of nuclear weapons.
As nuclear weapons its our duty to rid the earth of the scourge of human beings

Siegfried Sassoon