Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1884
Re: Kids Left in Cars - GRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
Not a textbook psych...which is funny because I can't read. Sorry for trying to help. If you must know, I think your wacky reaction to folks having children in their cars is way over the top and you're going to either have the local coppers called on you or someone is going to beat the hell out of you. Here's my idea...why don't you go to the library and pull out a book called the DSM V (and for those that don't have a background in psych treatment DSM V stands for the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Volume 5). Look up PTSD and read all about the symptoms you described having in your posts...see if that might fit your ridicules reactions. My textbook analysis is that your coping mechanisms suck. And you know what...just continue doing what you're doing it sounds great...you'll get no more sympathy from me. Sorry for trying to help.
HUH WTF???

Old 09-29-2014, 04:27 AM
cheekymarls
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:384
Female

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
Not a textbook psych...which is funny because I can't read. Sorry for trying to help. If you must know, I think your wacky reaction to folks having children in their cars is way over the top and you're going to either have the local coppers called on you or someone is going to beat the hell out of you. Here's my idea...why don't you go to the library and pull out a book called the DSM V (and for those that don't have a background in psych treatment DSM V stands for the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Volume 5). Look up PTSD and read all about the symptoms you described having in your posts...see if that might fit your ridicules reactions. My textbook analysis is that your coping mechanisms suck. And you know what...just continue doing what you're doing it sounds great...you'll get no more sympathy from me. Sorry for trying to help.
I am having a problem understanding why you think that i have PTSD?
When it comes to safety of kids, i do tend to care more. Sue me for giving a shit

Are you saying that if you saw a kid alone in a car, you would walk on by?

kids getting left in cars is such a big concern in Australia, that they have set up a ph number specifically to report these things rather than go to the police. It would have to be quite drastic for me to make a call.

seriously, i have no idea why you come across attacking me when i thought that most people do give a fuck about kids being left in cars.. i guess i was wrong

Old 09-29-2014, 12:50 PM
30564U
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekymarls View Post
When it comes to safety of kids, i do tend to care more. Sue me for giving a shit

kids getting left in cars is such a big concern in Australia, that they have set up a ph number specifically to report these things rather than go to the police. It would have to be quite drastic for me to make a call.

seriously, i have no idea why you come across attacking me when i thought that most people do give a fuck about kids being left in cars.. i guess i was wrong
Ok...you asked, so I'll make this as clear as I can. First off, why don't you actually look up what the definition of PTSD is...that might help you understand why your actions might not be the best. You keep asking what makes me think that you have undiagnosed PTSD? My assumption of PTSD would be based solely on your comments that you made throughout this post. Let's examine your comments:
1.) "Every time I see a baby in the car, i cannot move. I wait until the parent or carer returns. I have called the police so many times. One time, not long ago I just told a mum not to leave her kids in the car, she nearly knocked me down. Just yesterday a guy was filling up his tank at a servo and car turned off, windows fully up and 2 babies in the car."
2.) "...leaving windows fully closed when no adult inside still freaks me out a bit"
3.) "I was too scared to say anything but stared at him alot hoping he could read my mind i bet he thought i was having a perve instead lol"
4.) "i guess thats what happens when people have been through something traumatic, they do tend to go overboard if the issue arises in front of them"
5.) "i guess seeing that baby nearly dead in car traumatized me that i notice it more than most i guess"
6.) "seeing kids in car with windows up just instantly takes me back to the original distressed baby, i do feel sick but not angry, just more panicked Because In am on the road alot, I see alot of it. It continually haunts me on a weekly basis."

If you looked up the textbook definition of PTSD you'll have noticed how your comments might just fit into that category. Let me say that I really could care less if you act like a complete loon every time you see a kid alone in a car. I'm sorry I even offered my advise in the first place. I'm not attacking you, because it doesn't matter to me if you take my advise or not...continue to suffer. When your condition gets worse or something significant happens perhaps you'll understand and seek help...then again perhaps you won't. As I said do as you wish. You have in your hands several good suggestions, from me and others, there is plenty of information for you to investigate/study as you choose. Go forth and continue to act goofy or help yourself and stop. The ball is in your court.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:54 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Please see previous post for specific details and DSM V for therapeutic definitions.

Why yes...I'm sure you care more than anyone else...you might wish to look up in the DSM V about a God complex. Though I certainly won't sue you, if your odd antics continue and escalate, you might just get sued. Mind your own business, unless a life is truly in danger or a child is distressed.

None...never said that, but it depends on the situation, outside temperature, vehicle location, and immediacy of the situation. If there was no distress in the child's actions, I would just call the local police or fire service and wait until they showed up. I would only break the car window out if there was an emergent immediate situation.

Leaving kids in cars in high heat is a big deal in every developed country. We have a special telephone number to report such stupidity...it's called 911. Here in the US it's a fairly serious crime. I wouldn't hesitate to call if I was that concerned.

I only attacked you because you whined around telling us all you have these feelings and odd reactions to a traumatic experience directly related to leaving kids in hot cars and you refuse to have enough self introspection to see that you have an issue that should be treated before you mildly annoying reactions start to escalate to the point of your being thought of or classified as a certified nut. It's not that your discussing children being locked in hot cars...it's your comments about your reactions to children being locked in hot cars that's the issue. Although locking children in hot cars is a big deal...in the overall scheme of life and what's currently happening in the world, it's statistically irrelevant. I'm sure Australia has very specific laws regarding this type of situation. I'm saying that if you feel so strongly about this type of situation, then call the cops or fire department.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:56 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

PTSD definition as given by the Mayo Clinic:
Symptoms
Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms may start within three months of a traumatic event, but sometimes symptoms may not appear until years after the event. These symptoms can cause significant problems in social or work situations and in relationships.

PTSD symptoms are generally grouped into four types: intrusive memories, avoidance, negative changes in thinking and mood, or changes in emotional reactions.

Intrusive Memories
Symptoms of intrusive memories may include:
Recurrent, unwanted distressing memories of the traumatic event
Reliving the event(s) as if it were happening again-flashbacks
Upsetting dreams about the traumatic event
Severe emotional distress or physical reactions to something that reminds you of the event
Avoidance
Symptoms of avoidance may include:
Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic event
Avoiding places, activities or people that remind you of the traumatic event
Negative changes in thinking and mood
Symptoms of negative changes in thinking and mood may include:
Negative feelings about yourself or other people
Inability to experience positive emotions
Feeling emotionally numb
Lack of interest in activities you once enjoyed
Hopelessness about the future
Memory problems, including not remembering important aspects of the traumatic event
Difficulty maintaining close relationships
Changes in emotional reactions
Symptoms of changes in emotional reactions (also called arousal symptoms) may include:
Irritability, angry outbursts or aggressive behavior
Always being on guard for danger
Overwhelming guilt or shame
Self-destructive behavior, like drinking too much or driving too fast
Trouble concentrating
Trouble sleeping
Being easily startled or frightened
Intensity of Symptoms
PTSD symptoms can vary in intensity over time. You may have more PTSD symptoms when you're stressed in general, or when you run into reminders of what you went through. For example, you may hear a car backfire and relive combat experiences. Or you may see a report on the news about a sexual assault and feel overcome by memories of your own assault.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

Quote:
im just turned 50 and coped fine. I dont break down in sweats or anything.
If i see someone hurting a kid and pace, does that mean i have something else? lol
I told you what i think. Reject it if you want, it's not my concern at all. I was only trying to help.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:24 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewvane View Post
I told you what i think. Reject it if you want, it's not my concern at all. I was only trying to help.
Yup...what is it they say about the crazy always being the last to know they're crazy? Well, I appreciated your advise. I just got sick of her...she was acting so damn dense it was killing me.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:46 PM
cheekymarls
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:384
Female

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1884

What is it with you two?
I mention a few experiences and next minute I am crazy?
Well i had a look of your list
there is only two that fit in so based on that its not severe
1. Emotional distress or physical reactions to something that reminds you of the event.. I deleted "severe" because Ii don't react severely. My heart rate doesnt go up, I dont break out in sweats, I dont burst out crying or shaking or anything. I just sit there watching the kids so no danger comes to them
2. Always being on guard for danger. I do fit with this one but its not all to do with the fear of kids left in cars

I think calling me crazy was uncalled for considering neither of you know me at all.

Whats PDST therapy going to do? make me not give a shit when I see kids left in cars? I'd rather give a shit thanks

Appreciate your assistance but this thread was about kids being left in cars. I shouldn't have written my own experiences, my own do not matter

Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

You are correct...your experiences really don't matter. Especially if you're not going to help yourself. Apparently you're too lacking in self introspection/analysis to recognize, that given the severity of the traumatic event and your rather strange semi-compulsive behaviors when seeing kids left in cars, even hitting two of the indicators of PTSD is very significant. But what do I know? Absolutely nothing...but I do know what PTSD is and how to fix it. Of course my suggestions would only work if you had the common sense to recognize what happened...but, you don't, so everything is just fine. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

I'm so sorry that I even responded to you and your handwringing. Please...go forth and continue doing and "coping" in your own special little way. I'm sure you'll be fine and will never have any more issues. I'm obviously wrong and out of my mind. Please feel free to just keep ignoring your traumatic event and carry on. You'll accomplish nothing by seeking help and will more than likely just open a big can of worms that will bring you only grief and premature death. Just continue doing exactlybwhat you've been doing and have a great life. I'm sorry that I ever suggested you had any issues or might need to seek help...forget I'm alive. I'll just go away now and mind my own business. Very sorry for causing any problems or suggesting that you were anything but normal. Please forgive me.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

Quote:

I think calling me crazy was uncalled for considering neither of you know me at all.
I never called you crazy. I said i think you have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I said that because from reading what you wrote I recognise the symptoms. I recognise the symptoms because I have PTSD myself.