Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4407
Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

The Atlantic
Jul 23 2012, Max Fisher

I've heard it said that, if you take a walk around Waikiki, it's only a matter of time until someone hands you a flyer of scantily clad women clutching handguns, overlaid with English and maybe Japanese text advertising one of the many local shooting ranges. The city's largest, the Royal Hawaiian Shooting Club, advertises instructors fluent in Japanese, which is also the default language of its website. For years, this peculiar Hawaiian industry has explicitly targeted Japanese tourists, drawing them away from beaches and resorts into shopping malls, to do things that are forbidden in their own country.

Waikiki's Japanese-filled ranges are the sort of quirk you might find in any major tourist town, but they're also an intersection of two societies with wildly different approaches to guns and their role in society. Friday's horrific shooting at an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater has been a reminder that America's gun control laws are the loosest in the developed world and its rate of gun-related homicide is the highest. Of the world's 23 "rich" countries, the U.S. gun-related murder rate is almost 20 times that of the other 22. With almost one privately owned firearm per person, America's ownership rate is the highest in the world; tribal-conflict-torn Yemen is ranked second, with a rate about half of America's.

But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally.

Almost no one in Japan owns a gun. Most kinds are illegal, with onerous restrictions on buying and maintaining the few that are allowed. Even the country's infamous, mafia-like Yakuza tend to forgo guns; the few exceptions tend to become big national news stories.

Japanese tourists who fire off a few rounds at the Royal Hawaiian Shooting Club would be breaking three separate laws back in Japan -- one for holding a handgun, one for possessing unlicensed bullets, and another violation for firing them -- the first of which alone is punishable by one to ten years in jail. Handguns are forbidden absolutely. Small-caliber rifles have been illegal to buy, sell, or transfer since 1971. Anyone who owned a rifle before then is allowed to keep it, but their heirs are required to turn it over to the police once the owner dies.

The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it's not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel's landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

Even the most basic framework of Japan's approach to gun ownership is almost the polar opposite of America's. U.S. gun law begins with the second amendment's affirmation of the "right of the people to keep and bear arms" and narrows it down from there. Japanese law, however, starts with the 1958 act stating that "No person shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords," later adding a few exceptions. In other words, American law is designed to enshrine access to guns, while Japan starts with the premise of forbidding it. The history of that is complicated, but it's worth noting that U.S. gun law has its roots in resistance to British gun restrictions, whereas some academic literature links the Japanese law to the national campaign to forcibly disarm the samurai, which may partially explain why the 1958 mentions firearms and swords side-by-side.

Of course, Japan and the U.S. are separated by a number of cultural and historical difference much wider than their gun policies. Kopel explains that, for whatever reason, Japanese tend to be more tolerant of the broad search and seizure police powers necessary to enforce the ban. "Japanese, both criminals and ordinary citizens, are much more willing than their American counterparts to consent to searches and to answer questions from the police," he writes. But even the police did not carry firearms themselves until, in 1946, the American occupation authority ordered them to. Now, Japanese police receive more hours of training than their American counterparts, are forbidden from carrying off-duty, and invest hours in studying martial arts in part because they "are expected to use [firearms] in only the rarest of circumstances," according to Kopel.

The Japanese and American ways of thinking about crime, privacy, and police powers are so different -- and Japan is such a generally peaceful country -- that it's functionally impossible to fully isolate and compare the two gun control regiments. It's not much easier to balance the costs and benefits of Japan's unusual approach, which helps keep its murder rate at the second-lowest in the world, though at the cost of restrictions that Kopel calls a "police state," a worrying suggestion that it hands the government too much power over its citizens. After all, the U.S. constitution's second amendment is intended in part to maintain "the security of a free State" by ensuring that the government doesn't have a monopoly on force. Though it's worth considering another police state here: Tunisia, which had the lowest firearm ownership rate in the world (one gun per thousand citizens, compared to America's 890) when its people toppled a brutal, 24-year dictatorship and sparked the Arab Spring.

Salladhor Saan - GAME OF THRONES

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LadyPox For This Useful Post:
Bastet, diamondsmiles, Faline, Impotent Rage, invertigo, Seven Of Nine, Sharon, steve999
Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Eskimo Aids
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2208

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss128
Re: Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

I'm so tired of people saying guns don't kill people, people kill people. Well that's just bullshit cause guns sure as hell make it a lot eaiser. Get rid of the guns and you get rid of the killings. Good post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eskimo Aids For This Useful Post:
chefbob09, JulianTD, steve999
The Following 6 Users Disliked Eskimo Aids For This Post:
ace8466, GlassToTheArson, knuggy, Mdcastle, Monoxide, Silent_steve
Old 12-20-2012, 03:18 AM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Aids View Post
I'm so tired of people saying guns don't kill people, people kill people. Well that's just bullshit cause guns sure as hell make it a lot eaiser. Get rid of the guns and you get rid of the killings. Good post
(another great chance to quote Chris Rock :D )

“You don’t need no gun control, you know what you need? We need some bullet control. Man, we need to control the bullets, that’s right. I think all bullets should cost five thousand dollars… five thousand dollars per bullet… You know why? Cause if a bullet cost five thousand dollars there would be no more innocent bystanders.
Every time somebody get shot we’d say, ‘Damn, he must have done something ... They put fifty thousand dollars worth of bullets in his ass.’

And people would think before they killed somebody if a bullet cost five thousand dollars. ‘Man I would blow your fucking head off…if I could afford it.’ ‘I’m gonna get me another job, I’m going to start saving some money, and you’re a dead man. You’d better hope I can’t get no bullets on layaway.’

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to invertigo For This Useful Post:
Bastet, dcaccount22, Eskimo Aids, GlassToTheArson, Kanda444, LadyPox, Megamel29, Seven Of Nine
The Following Users Disliked This Post By invertigo:
ace8466
Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 PM
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:276

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3029

Japan is sooooooooooooooo different from the America. They don't seem to have a drug problem their own govt declared war on drugs 3 decades ago, yet continues to bring across the border daily. They don't any of the problems we have. Its a whole other culture so don't compare. Our guns aren't going anywhere.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AmericanIllusions For This Useful Post:
GlassToTheArson, Kanda444, pbaj12
Old 12-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51379

Good on them

Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 AM
meade2763
Offline:
Poster Rank:2318

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss120

Guns would probably be a convenience for the kids of Japan, then they wouldn't have to go to the trouble of climbing the nearest tall building when they get a B+ in an exam.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:27 AM
dcaccount22
Offline:
Poster Rank:1474

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss236

I believe a happy medium would be the best policy. Allow people to have guns, but make it difficult and much more regulated. The mental health screenings are a good thing too.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:16 AM
hambone
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1063

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Aids View Post
we dont blame cars for drunk drivers killing people, we dont blame pencils for misspelling words, and we dont blame forks for obesiety. your logic isnt logical. timothy mcveigh killed hundreds of people including 18 children never once firing a round. murderers will murder because they are murderous. should we outlaw sticks and stones? i hear they make excellent weapons.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hambone For This Useful Post:
GregK, Kanda444
The Following 3 Users Disliked hambone For This Post:
chefbob09, Eskimo Aids, JulianTD
Old 12-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Impotent Rage
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:916
Contributions: 5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss490

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanIllusions View Post
Japan is sooooooooooooooo different from the America. <snip. Its a whole other culture so don't compare. Our guns aren't going anywhere.
Why shouldn't you compare? There are loads of instances of countries implementing new laws, having seen the legislation's positive effects in another nation. TBH I'm really not a fan of argumentum ad populum but you've got to take a look around when you're in an appalling situation compared with everyone else. Whether your country decides that approach is suitable or not, they might learn something that helps by comparing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kottnmouthalien View Post
we dont blame cars for drunk drivers killing people, we dont blame pencils for misspelling words, and we dont blame forks for obesiety. your logic isnt logical. timothy mcveigh killed hundreds of people including 18 children never once firing a round. murderers will murder because they are murderous. should we outlaw sticks and stones? i hear they make excellent weapons.
You are completely missing the point. Guns are designed, manufactured and sold for the purpose of firing a projectile into the body of another person or animal. They serve no other practical purpose.

Some guns are clearly intended for hunting animals; fine, no problem there. Allow RESPONSIBLE people to own those weapons.

The other guns [auto, semi-auto, assault rifles, hand guns etc...] are designed for killing humans and when you've got them firmly present in households and your nation's psyche then it changes everything. Such weapons are so normal to Americans that not only will they be the weapon of choice; they bring the gun-slinging fantasy right out of the history books and Hollywood and place it in your streets, homes and public spaces. But then I wonder, how will you ever know it's a fantastical, dated situation if you're the ones living it?

And before you say there will be misuse from hunting weapons, OF COURSE there will!!! If someone really wants to kill another then they'll find a way to do it.

Gun control is not about eradicating guns, that is not possible. The theory behind gun control is that when people can easily obtain a hand-held, purpose-designed, murder contraption WHAT THE HECK do you expect them to do with it???

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impotent Rage For This Useful Post:
chefbob09, TheCapn
Old 12-24-2012, 03:26 PM
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:276

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impotent Rage View Post
Why shouldn't you compare? There are loads of instances of countries implementing new laws, having seen the legislation's positive effects in another nation. TBH I'm really not a fan of argumentum ad populum but you've got to take a look around when you're in an appalling situation compared with everyone else. Whether your country decides that approach is suitable or not, they might learn something that helps by comparing.

You are completely missing the point. Guns are designed, manufactured and sold for the purpose of firing a projectile into the body of another person or animal. They serve no other practical purpose.

Some guns are clearly intended for hunting animals; fine, no problem there. Allow RESPONSIBLE people to own those weapons.

The other guns [auto, semi-auto, assault rifles, hand guns etc...] are designed for killing humans and when you've got them firmly present in households and your nation's psyche then it changes everything. Such weapons are so normal to Americans that not only will they be the weapon of choice; they bring the gun-slinging fantasy right out of the history books and Hollywood and place it in your streets, homes and public spaces. But then I wonder, how will you ever know it's a fantastical, dated situation if you're the ones living it?

And before you say there will be misuse from hunting weapons, OF COURSE there will!!! If someone really wants to kill another then they'll find a way to do it.

Gun control is not about eradicating guns, that is not possible. The theory behind gun control is that when people can easily obtain a hand-held, purpose-designed, murder contraption WHAT THE HECK do you expect them to do with it???
Its not even up for discussion gotdammit.