Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649
Re: Italy | Fears Over Serial Killer After Naked Woman's Body Found 'crucified'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatagato View Post
Hard to believe indeed: he's been charged (for now) only for the murder for technical reasons: this way on monday the judge will be able to validate the arrest, keep him behind bars and open the way to the trial. Now the investigators planned to study all the cases of fatal/non fatal attacks (but also of missing women) occurred in the area. Cops were impressed by his calmness, when they arrived to arrest him he welcomed them as if they were there to have a coffee and say hello: he would never had admitted it if he wasn't caught, so is possible that he has killed before: many other women in the last 48 hours went to the police to witness more attacks, many of them didn't it before for fear: in total, there are now several dozens of cases in which he's thought to be involved with.
Also in this case only volunteer and shelter workers tried to do something, if it wasn't for them now the list of the victims would have been MUCH longer.
I often wonder about serial killers who are married and/or have children and they all live together - exactly what do the other family members think? I have a really hard time believing that the wife (in most cases) doesn't notice anything abnormal. Like we've said, some of these killings go on for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 + years and not a single family member has an suspicion? I call bullshit.

Do you think that he will try to fast track his trial so they investigators don't have time to get all the information on all his victims together?

The Following User Says Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 05-11-2014, 03:15 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
You can bet your life this wouldn't have been his first murder. Serial killers and serial child molesters are very similar...they one they get caught for is never the first...it's usually the tip of the ice berg. I've had limited experience with a couple of serial murders and I know that placing the body in public means something specific, but I don't remember exactly what off the top of my head. Perhaps someone can look up the specifics of his murders and research what the body placements and type of murder. It's been years since I dealt with a serial killer and I'm sure the methodology and science has evolved quite a bit. Just FYI, the police generally won't divulge an active serial murderer even if it means more potential deaths. I know it sounds cold and calculating especially on prostitutes, runaways, and drug users, but it serves a high purpose. When dealing with these folks the task of sorting through and classifying evidence, leads, bodies, killing methods, witnesses, and suspect information can be almost impossible even with computers. The police must prove that there's a serial killer active which in and of it's self is very difficult. Then they need to coordinate all the information from all the separate cases and jurisdictions...this is usually a nightmare. But the overriding issue is to get the killer in an absolutely fool proof case or cases. Because juries are somewhat stupid (at least here in California)
A very very complicated case like a serial killer needs to be as simplified as possible...also a nightmare. I'm sure the Italians did the best they could, but it's an almost impossible crime to solve and then prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
Everything that I'm reading about body placement says it's rare that a killer would leave his victim in an open place to be found quickly. It's saying most want the easiest route to discard/conceal.
I'm thinking he wanted to get caught now since he deviated from his normal body discarding routine.
I wonder if any of his other victims were posed?

The Following User Says Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 05-11-2014, 10:31 PM
30564U
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

I've read about spouses knowing something's going on and others have no clue. I would chalk that up to how really good the killer is at performing the killings. In many cases the killer is fairly rigid about separating his killing life and "normal" life. They also often interweave their working life with their killing life so friends and family aren't suspicious. I've always been suspicious of the spouses as well...common sense would dictate that they certainly would have seen signs. But, like I said, many of these guys are so good that no one would know. Don't forget they're all really well developed psychopaths and sociopaths that have been practicing lying for years and years. Most can even fool psychologists/psychiatrists.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
gatagato, vagabond
Old 05-12-2014, 03:31 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5490

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Grip View Post
Do you think that he will try to fast track his trial so they investigators don't have time to get all the information on all his victims together?
It wouldn't help him as even in case he'd choose the rito abbreviato (which is like to plea bargaining) the sentence won't be lowered, for murder: the prosecutor and investigators have all the interest in getting him committed for trial ASAP for this case, in the meantime they can start the new investigations over the other crimes: in case he'll get committed for trial also for other cases (but different crimes, not murder/s), then he'll be judged in separate trials: IF turns out that he killed before, then the prosecutor will change the accusation from rape, assault and battery, murder, to multiple rape, assault and battery, murder: basically, all he did would be considered as a continuous crime.

Quote:
Like we've said, some of these killings go on for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 + years and not a single family member has an suspicion? I call bullshit.
In this case, most likely nobody had a clue: his mother has been living in a neighboring apartment and she was even more surprised than the rest of the population (while he was being questioned she asked him "is it YOU the monster who did that to that poor woman???" and later stated that she had absolutely no clue, and that her son must pay for what he did. His wife was empolyee at Careggi hospital: the tape used to tie this and several previous victims came from that hospital. Hard to believe that knowing what he need the tape for, she would provide him with a tape which could possibly link her to the crimes.
As 30564U pointed out (and this is definitely the case) "they're all really well developed psychopaths and sociopaths that have been practicing lying for years and years": he was seen by everybody as some ordinary dude, one of those who always greet you when they see you: just very discreet.
He used to drive with the complete toolkit for the professional serial sexual offender in the trunk of his car: a black case containing tape, ropes, pieces of wooden broomsticks, lubricant etcetera.

Today (in a couple of hours) he'll be questioned by the magistrate in presence of his lawyer, and we'll likely know more about his defence strategy.

The Following User Says Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Megamel29
Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 AM
vagabond
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:141
female

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 6/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss6975

Has he been doing this his whole life- somewhere else? Or did he just get out of jail or what?
Great post!

Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
I often wonder about serial killers who are married and/or have children and they all live together - exactly what do the other family members think? I have a really hard time believing that the wife (in most cases) doesn't notice anything abnormal. Like we've said, some of these killings go on for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 + years and not a single family member has an suspicion? I call bullshit.
Have you seen the show Who the Bleep Did I Marry? I know there was at least one episode that dealt with the wife of a serial killer. Serial killers have a strong desire to appear 'normal' so as to not arouse suspicion. They practice their whole lives to fit in.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 05-12-2014, 06:27 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Male

Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5490

A good example of serial killer living a double life is the one of Robert Lee Yates (23 years of activity): he was so sure he wouldn't be caught that he buried the body of one of his victims (Melody Murfin) just outside of the bedroom window of his family home.
Although authorities thoroughly searched the yard (after his arrest), they found her body only after Yates told them its exact location.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:37 AM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
Has he been doing this his whole life- somewhere else? Or did he just get out of jail or what?
Great post!
That's the big question. I'd say that generally speaking that if it's at all possible (and often it isn't) the Italian police will now scower the country and other neighboring Euro countries for statistical murder matches. In other words, they're going to use the computer program I talked about in an earlier post. Like getting pregnant the first time you have sex, it happens, but it would be quite rare (and unlucky too). With these guys, you can pretty much count on other murders or other really really odd stuff (like child molestation or odd ball cruelty issues) poping up as the investigation progresses. Strangely, a plumber is a really great job for a serial killer...he has access to homes and businesses for fairly long periods of time. He's "just a dumb plumber" and most folks will overlook him and he more than likely drives a van (a serial killer's favorite ride) with all sorts of tools. Most, if not all (actually around 97%) of these guys are White, middle age, and look rather unremarkable...just like serial child molesters. Don't forget, the first thing all the neighbors, friends, and relatives say to the reporter is, "he was such a quiet man...and was always so nice and polite." these guys are the very tip of the criminal sword...it's extremely rare to catch one. It appears the Italian police kinda fell into this one and got him extremely quick...which is very unusual. It'll be an interesting case to follow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
gatagato, vagabond
Old 05-13-2014, 04:04 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Male

Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5490

I'll try to recap as much as possible of what is known for sure so far.

The judge yesterday denied release from prison: she wrote in her motivations for the man's continued incarceration that he was lucid, and thus capable of understanding, wanting and being aware of what he was doing.
She also wrote he was at risk of fleeing if released.

Viti admitted to killing the woman under interrogation, at the presence of his defense attorney.

The suspect apparently has shown remorse and said "he would give his life to be able to restore the life of the girl".

He is now officially charged with murder, sexual assault and kidnapping, and is suspected of carrying out as many as nine other rapes of sex workers (this figure is, however, expected to rise), according to police.

One prostitute said she would have been killed by Viti during a sexual assault last March if he hadn't been interrupted by a barking dog and footsteps.

Viti's DNA was already found on three other raped prostitutes in addition to the Romanian who died from his assault near Florence.

In my opinion (despite it has not been explicitly mentioned), his defense strategy will be based on both he being unfit to plea/unable to understand and take action (which won't work for sure), and the "consensual sex game gone wrong" way: he claimed since the start that he did it in the past, and that sometimes the game ended the expected way, some other other times, after realizing that the victims were scared, he fled the scene.

Police will also try to find out whether there's been some escalation in his criminal timeline, or the level of violence has been always the same, or it was random.

So the score is now
1 murder, kidnapping, sex assault
1 attempted murder, kidnapping, sex assault
9 kidnapping, sex assault

And counting.

And we're just at the beginning of understanding what he really did during the last 15/20 (but maybe many more) years.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
776deec5fd74660a2e304b8b48aad923.jpg  

Old 05-13-2014, 01:52 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Yup...just what I expected. They usually start out as peepers (usually in early teens), then move up to semi-sexual touching, then sexual touching, then indecent exposure, then very sexual touching, then attempted rape, then rape, then murder. Like serial rapists and child molesters, it's a long gradual spiral into depravity and finally murder...which is why few if any notice what's happening. I'm sure this guy will have some weird sex/woman issue(s) that happen when he was a child. I'm very familure with serial sex offenders/pedophiles. These guys will always have some kind of traumatic sexual type incident that took place as a child or young adult. At whatever age this traumatic event happened, that's the age group that the pedophile usually prefers. It's like they stopped sexually maturing and fixated on that age group. Interesting isn't it? Serial pedophiles are also extremely (and I mean extremely) organized, clean, and well put together. The theory is that they somehow internally know that they're out of control so they over control everything that they can...like their looks, haircut, cleanliness, organization, etc. I've never seen a pedophile that wasn't tidy to the point of absurdity. Aren't people strange?