Go Back  

Iraq | 500,000 Flee Mosul As Sunni Jihadists Pose 'mortal Threat' to Nation 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
 
  #51  
Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 PM
rob666's Avatar
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55
Join Date: May 2009
 
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: Iraq | 500,000 Flee Mosul As Sunni Jihadists Pose 'mortal Threat' to Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0g View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0ET11320140618

Speaking on live television to a crowd, Iran's President Hassan Rouhani made the clearest declaration yet that Tehran was prepared to mobilize.

"Regarding the holy Shia shines in Karbala, Najaf, Kadhimiya and Samarra, we announce to the killers and terrorists that the big Iranian nation will not hesitate to protect holy shrines," he said.

He said many people had signed up to go to Iraq to fight, although he also emphasized that Iraqis were prepared to defend themselves: "Thanks be to God, I’ll tell the dear people of Iran that veterans and various forces - Sunnis Shias and Kurds all over Iraq - are ready for sacrifice."
So the end result of this could be Iran occupying Iraq.

Better off without saddam? The trillion dollar question.

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Oswald2001
  #52  
Old 06-21-2014, 07:05 PM
the hawk's Avatar
the hawk
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:663
Male
Join Date: Jun 2012
 
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss822
Re: Iraq | 500,000 Flee Mosul As Sunni Jihadists Pose 'mortal Threat' to Nation

I'm normally not the one to turn a cold shoulder to people in distress, but they just seem so intent on destroying themselves over religion, I think the time has come to just let them fight their war and kill each other. It's the only way they know and a bunch of white 'infidels' ain't gonna change their ways. That is of course assuming the west is actually over there selflessly, which is extremely debatable.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the hawk For This Useful Post:
rob666
  #53  
Old 06-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Metal Mike's Avatar
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable
Join Date: Jun 2013
 
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388
Re: Iraq | 500,000 Flee Mosul As Sunni Jihadists Pose 'mortal Threat' to Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
So the end result of this could be Iran occupying Iraq.

Better off without saddam? The trillion dollar question.
Better off without Saddam if we had come up with a solid plan for long-term occupation/colonization.

Worse off without Saddam if "America-is-the-Great-Satan Death-to-Israel" crowd running Iran do indeed occupy and take over.

Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Metal Mike's Avatar
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable
Join Date: Jun 2013
 
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388
Re: Iraq | 500,000 Flee Mosul As Sunni Jihadists Pose 'mortal Threat' to Nation

Either way, it's just history repeating itself.

Stupid federal politicians devise self-serving means of installing a dictator in some third-world shit-hole, then overthrow said dictator and watch stupidly as something much worse and virulently anti-Western fills the power vacuum.

Either the powers-that-be will never learn, or they simply don't care. Given our current era's classification as the Information Age, my money is on the latter.

Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
gatagato, rob666, winvens
  #55  
Old 06-21-2014, 10:42 PM
rob666's Avatar
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55
Join Date: May 2009
 
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: Iraq | 500,000 Flee Mosul As Sunni Jihadists Pose 'mortal Threat' to Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post
Better off without Saddam if we had come up with a solid plan for long-term occupation/colonization.

Worse off without Saddam if "America-is-the-Great-Satan Death-to-Israel" crowd running Iran do indeed occupy and take over.
Colonization is what contributed to this mess in the first place.

Let them sort themselves out, we had to, Europe has to from time to time, it's sad but it's the way it is. All that happens when we get involved is bring their hate towards us.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
winvens
  #56  
Old 06-22-2014, 12:52 AM
Metal Mike's Avatar
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable
Join Date: Jun 2013
 
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388
Re: Iraq | 500,000 Flee Mosul As Sunni Jihadists Pose 'mortal Threat' to Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
Colonization is what contributed to this mess in the first place.

Let them sort themselves out, we had to, Europe has to from time to time, it's sad but it's the way it is. All that happens when we get involved is bring their hate towards us.
That last part isn't entirely true. Most Iraq vets (grunts and NCOs, not commissioned politicians in camo) will tell you that they had high hopes for the U.S. presence in their country. If the entire country had been opposed to the occupation, they would have run us out en masse long ago. Strange to think that the Iraqis could have been just as split on the occupation as Americans were.

The real problem arises when we leave them to twist in the wind on their own for the sake of political expediency. Hard-line sectarian militants and extremists will always hate us, but our abandonment of the rank-and-file Iraqi people is what earns us new enemies just as surely as stray cruise missiles and fatal miscommunications at traffic control points.

Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-22-2014, 11:42 PM
rob666's Avatar
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55
Join Date: May 2009
 
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: Iraq | 500,000 Flee Mosul As Sunni Jihadists Pose 'mortal Threat' to Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mike View Post
That last part isn't entirely true. Most Iraq vets (grunts and NCOs, not commissioned politicians in camo) will tell you that they had high hopes for the U.S. presence in their country. If the entire country had been opposed to the occupation, they would have run us out en masse long ago. Strange to think that the Iraqis could have been just as split on the occupation as Americans were.

The real problem arises when we leave them to twist in the wind on their own for the sake of political expediency. Hard-line sectarian militants and extremists will always hate us, but our abandonment of the rank-and-file Iraqi people is what earns us new enemies just as surely as stray cruise missiles and fatal miscommunications at traffic control points.
The grunts go in and do what they do, part of being a good soldier is never questioning the validity of the mission.
I'm sure that the majority did have high hopes. They had to be considering previous administrations passed on the chance of toppling saddam out if fear that this exact situation would develop.
I doubt that the minority Sunni were ever in favour of saddams removal. The Kurds and Shiite were, because he was keeping them from taking over.

It was never about the better of Iraq for any of these groups. They have no concept of national unity, they are split along tribal and religious lines that go back to the Stone Age. Given the chance, they will happily kill the other to extinction, just like they have tried for the past few thousand years.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
winvens
  #58  
Old 06-23-2014, 12:45 AM
Metal Mike's Avatar
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable
Join Date: Jun 2013
 
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388
Re: Iraq | 500,000 Flee Mosul As Sunni Jihadists Pose 'mortal Threat' to Nation

That's exactly why only a century-long occupation would solve such issues. It would take several generations of Western rule and the forceful imposition of democratic principles to instill any sort of first-world mentality among the masses. What's sad is that the tribal mentality didn't exist within Iraq's Christian community; it is an exclusively Muslim thought process.

Reply With Quote

Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2010 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO