Poster Rank:295
Male

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 3/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2734
Re: Indonesia Goes Ahead with Executions.

Yeah yeah...but remember that Indonesia signed the International Covenant of Civil & Political Rights treaty in 2006. Only the most serious crimes warrant the death penalty. Surely drug trafficking doesn't enter the realm of cold-blooded murder?

The Following User Says Thank You to Watertorque For This Useful Post:
Blood Queen
Old 05-11-2015, 06:31 AM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:363
Female

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 7/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2028

It does enter the realm of murder.
Bringing in a highly addictive and deadly substance to sell indiscriminately? That's destroying many lives. Not just the people choosing to take the drugs, but the people in the addict's life, too.

Drug trafficking is usually highly destructive and poisonous to many, many more people than all serial killers victims combined.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrunchyCripple For This Useful Post:
rob666, winvens
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Covered up
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:986
Male

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 3/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss440

I believe all drugs should be legal. Take the crime out of it. It's the only way.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Watertorque
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 3/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2734

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyCripple View Post
It does enter the realm of murder.
Bringing in a highly addictive and deadly substance to sell indiscriminately? That's destroying many lives. Not just the people choosing to take the drugs, but the people in the addict's life, too.

Drug trafficking is usually highly destructive and poisonous to many, many more people than all serial killers victims combined.
Of course some drugs kill...but it's a lifestyle choice.
Alcohol and tobacco are by far the biggest killers...and it's legal because the government can tax it.

Covered up
Old 05-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Top Gear
Offline:
1095 DAMASCUS STEEL
Poster Rank:51
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 9780 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss17110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertorque View Post
Alcohol and tobacco are by far the biggest killers...and it's legal because the government can tax it.
Peddling drugs is also a lifestyle choice, they made that decision and they paid the price...case closed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top Gear For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple, rob666
Old 05-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Watertorque
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 3/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gear View Post
Peddling drugs is also a lifestyle choice, they made that decision and they paid the price...case closed.
Well what I'm trying to get at is under the said International Civil & Political Rights treaty signed by Indonesia, what constitutes a "very serious crime" differs very much from country to country and allows for a legal loophole in this case, which was ignored by Indonesian authorities. And as mentioned before, the drug traffickers were caught as a result from a tipoff by the AFP, that originally came from a concerned parent of one of the Bali Nine.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:25 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
I agree with the hypocrisy you're pointing out, but the problem with hard drugs is there comes a point where it's no longer a choice for the user

I'd like to see some other form of enforcement, rather than just hand it over to the cartels, but I have no sympathy for people that get caught selling hard drugs either

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
Watertorque
Old 05-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Watertorque
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 3/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2734

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
I agree with the hypocrisy you're pointing out, but the problem with hard drugs is there comes a point where it's no longer a choice for the user

I'd like to see some other form of enforcement, rather than just hand it over to the cartels, but I have no sympathy for people that get caught selling hard drugs either
I'm not into drug traffickers at all, but given their age at the time and then 10 years of rehabilitation in prison, should've counted for something at least. Why give them hope and a chance to make change, to only execute them a decade later!?

Total bureaucratic bullshit if you ask me. Money is always the agenda is cases like this, and everyone wants a slice of the pie.

Here's the latest polli-crap...let me know what you think: http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2015/...nine-backflip/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Watertorque For This Useful Post:
Blood Queen, rob666
Old 05-12-2015, 06:32 AM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
I'm not into drug traffickers at all, but given their age at the time and then 10 years of rehabilitation in prison, should've counted for something at least. Why give them hope and a chance to make change, to only execute them a decade later!?

Total bureaucratic bullshit if you ask me. Money is always the agenda is cases like this, and everyone wants a slice of the pie.

Here's the latest polli-crap...let me know what you think: http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2015/...nine-backflip/
I don't know what the motivation is in Indonesia for severe sentencing, seems a lot of places like that have a zero tolerance attitude.

In America it seems that it became a right wing, get tough on crime political agenda, and even though it's been proven to be a disaster ( prohibition in all it's forms ) they are still doubling down
There's the whole issue of privatization of the prison systems too.

Canada takes a more rehabilitation based approach.
Most drug crimes are treated a lot more leniently, I think the maximum for cannabis crime is 15 years, and with parole you'd be out in 1/3 of that approximately..... And that would be an extreme case.
Until recently cultivation was sometimes not even prosecuted, and even now possession is hardly ever prosecuted...... Stores are popping up selling weed openly, even though it's still illegal.... And the police are not enforcing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
Watertorque
Old 05-12-2015, 06:52 AM
Watertorque
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 3/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2734

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
I don't know what the motivation is in Indonesia for severe sentencing, seems a lot of places like that have a zero tolerance attitude.

In America it seems that it became a right wing, get tough on crime political agenda, and even though it's been proven to be a disaster ( prohibition in all it's forms ) they are still doubling down
There's the whole issue of privatization of the prison systems too.

Canada takes a more rehabilitation based approach.
Most drug crimes are treated a lot more leniently, I think the maximum for cannabis crime is 15 years, and with parole you'd be out in 1/3 of that approximately..... And that would be an extreme case.
Until recently cultivation was sometimes not even prosecuted, and even now possession is hardly ever prosecuted...... Stores are popping up selling weed openly, even though it's still illegal.... And the police are not enforcing it.
Indonesia is one of the most populated countries in the world. For that reason I reckon these harsh sentences exist...to lessen the load. And also a lengthy court case always brings in the dosh$$$...it's as simple as that.

Years ago I did business in Indonesia. I asked the locals when I arrived, if there were any dodgy places or people that I should be mindful of. They told me that the police were the only people whom I should avoid at all costs...on account of all the corruption. You could be minding your own business and bump into them walking down the street...next minute you are been charged with possession of an illicit drug that you never had and paying the costs.

rob666