Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss12963
Illegal (?) Search - Dorm Hidden Camera

<****** width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4X3VZ9NLL3Q?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></******>

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4538

The University of Kentucky – Lexington (UKL) Police Department says it is reviewing the conduct of two of its officers after they appeared in a viral YouTube video threatening a student with expulsion while forcing their way into his dorm room on Saturday.

The University of Kentucky Police Department is reviewing the conduct of two of their officers after a video of a dorm room raid went viral.
Official university policy, obtained by Campus Reform on Tuesday, states that police officers may not search a student’s dorm room without permission.

The video, which passed 150,000 views on YouTube on Tuesday, is entitled “I hate cops,” and seems to show a student setting up a video camera before berating two campus police officers while refusing them entry into his room.

The officers, who alleged alcohol had been dumped from the dorm room’s window, demanded to search the premises for more alcohol but did not appear to possess a warrant.

Instead, one officer invoked “administrative rights” to enter the room and threatened the student with expulsion for declining to permit entry.

“Listen man, do you want to be kicked out of this university?” he asked. “I can pave that road.”

“We’re going to get you kicked out,” he added.

After the student demanded an explanation, the officer appeared to say “we don’t have to explain anything to you son.”

The officers did not appear to gain consent from the student before finally shoving past him and conducting a cursory search of the premises without turning up any alcohol.

The same officer who threatened expulsion can then be heard remarking that there “is no Fourth Amendment” after opening the student’s refrigerator.

The officer was likely referring to the Fourth Amendment in the Bill of Rights section of the Constitution which guarantees against “against unreasonable searches.”

UKL’s spokesman Jay Blanton told Campus Reform on Tuesday afternoon that “the UK Police Department is reviewing this matter” but refused to address further questions.

The university’s official residence policy, available online, does allow administers and police to enter student’s dorm rooms for a variety of reasons but seems to bar warrantless searches.

“[A]uthorization to enter a student’s room under this policy does not constitute authorization to conduct a search of the room,” it says.

UKL’s police department did not provide a spokesperson to Campus Reform for comment, despite multiple requests and would not reveal whether or not the two officers are still on active duty.

According to a legal guide published by Princeton University, students have the same Fourth amendment protections living on campus as they do off campus. However, the guide notes that some student housing agreements may provide some exceptions.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20100 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49335
Re: Illegal (?) Search - Dorm Hidden Camera

hmmm.... that's a tough one. he should be protected and it should be his right to refuse a search....but he was on private property, so really if the university says cops can enter whenever, i believe they can. he was being a dick to them though....

BryanXavier
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Hvergelmir
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:119
Contributions: 2

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8385

The article says that they cannot enter without permission.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865

in all honesty.. that kid is a troll.. i knew someone just like him when i was in school.. looks just like him too. im sure most of us at the end. wanna bet he doesnt act like this when he doesnt have an audience?

these guys are not REAL cops anyway.. they are pretty much campus cops.. University of Kentucky PD..

The Following User Says Thank You to Brometheus For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 401

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
7/11 ssss61135

Quote:
“We’re going to get you kicked out,” he added.

After the student demanded an explanation, the officer appeared to say “we don’t have to explain anything to you son.”
it's exactly that kind of attitude that makes me wanna hate them also. Some really think they're playing for Jesus.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 PM
MrCorpse
*DR's nice guy*
Poster Rank:44
Male

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 6827 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
6/11 ssss19045

Stupid cops got owned... I hope that fat one loses his job for being such a cocksucker.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrCorpse For This Useful Post:
AmericanIllusions, kellyhound
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 PM
rapeWhistle
Offline:
Hand of the King
Poster Rank:15
Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 479 Post(s)
Quoted: 21586 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40825

He'd look a lot smarter in that video if he'd chilled out with f-bombs and calling them 'stupid'. I totally understand his point; but like Kanda said, it's private property. I'd wager that something with his signature on it, that he signed well before his first day of class or his first frat party, said that the University has the right to search for and seize any 'contraband' on their property.

That cop was WAY out of line for shoving him.

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
The Following User Says Thank You to rapeWhistle For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM
dean mclean
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:350
male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2115

Kid's an idiot
Cops are idiots
Its like a fuckstick convention

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dean mclean For This Useful Post:
Kanda444, rapeWhistle, Zambini
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM
MrCorpse
*DR's nice guy*
Poster Rank:44
Male

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 6827 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
6/11 ssss19045

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeWhistle View Post
He'd look a lot smarter in that video if he'd chilled out with f-bombs and calling them 'stupid'. I totally understand his point; but like Kanda said, it's private property. I'd wager that something with his signature on it, that he signed well before his first day of class or his first frat party, said that the University has the right to search for and seize any 'contraband' on their property.

That cop was WAY out of line for shoving him.

He had to upset them to get the reaction... If he just spoke calmly to them and reasoned with them I doubt he would've got a video worth uploading onto Youtube. He was just trolling for the exact reaction he got. Well played I say.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrCorpse For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20100 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49335

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCorpse View Post
He had to upset them to get the reaction... If he just spoke calmly to them and reasoned with them I doubt he would've got a video worth uploading onto Youtube. He was just trolling for the exact reaction he got. Well played I say.
that's exactly what it was... it wasnt him trying to defend his rights or make a political statement... he was just trolling them so he could get a reaction and post it on youtube.

and the cops reacted just like he wanted them too.

assholes... the whole lot.