Go Back  

Hugging a Cop at Your Birthday Party May Kill You!!! 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 07-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865
Hugging a Cop at Your Birthday Party May Kill You!!!

This story really is bizarre and horrific. Reportedly a woman celebrating her 25th birthday at a party hugged the wrong guy -- I mean maybe he was a nice guy and all, but definitely the wrong dude to embrace. Adaisha Miller came up to a fellow partygoer and hugged him from behind, triggering the gun he had in his holster. The whole scenario is made even more tragic because the gun wearer was an off-duty police officer. The woman died.

Word has it that the police officer, who has been placed on desk duty while the incident is investigated, was wearing a waist holster made of lightweight material that would make it possible to squeeze the trigger right through the holster.

Now, I'm no gun expert, but what the hell? Aren't there locks on guns? And do officers carry their guns everywhere -- even to the birthday parties of friends? Seems like there should have been some precautions here. Additionally, the woman reportedly hugged him from behind -- so how she managed to pull the trigger on a gun is beyond me.

Wouldn't a gun that could go off at a moment's (or hugger's) notice be dangerous for the man to wear? And what if a child had come up and tugged at his shirt or something? I'm just baffled. Maybe some police officers or family members of police officers can tell me what happened here, because I'm not getting it.

Perhaps it is just common sense never to touch a police officer -- ever. But he was at a party. Presumably he didn't have his uniform on. This just seems like a tragedy that could have been avoided with more common sense and precaution.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_ne..._hugs_a_cop_at

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brometheus For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, diamondsmiles, gatagato, kellyhound, luciddrmr
Old 07-14-2012, 10:46 AM
gatagato
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss5487
Re: Hugging a Cop at Your Birthday Party May Kill You!!!

According to Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee Jr., the gun had the trigger that could be reached through holster.

Quote:
Police are investigating the incident and say preliminary findings show the holster may have allowed the trigger to be "manipulated" while the gun was stored.

In most incidents, he said, a weapon “does not go off without the trigger being engaged in some manner.”

Godbee said the department does not have a policy regarding what holsters officers should use for their guns when off duty.

The shooting is being investigated by the department’s internal affairs unit, but, in the preliminary investigation, it appears the shooting was accidental and the officer did not touch his gun, Godbee said.

Based on the preliminary investigation and witness accounts, Godbee said, the shooting occurred after Miller was dancing with Parrish, embraced him from behind and touched his waist.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office performed an autopsy and determined Miller died from a single gunshot wound to the chest, county spokeswoman Brooke Blackwell said. Her death was ruled a homicide.

The gun is a Smith & Wesson M&P 40-caliber semi-automatic. Police said the gun does not have an external safety, but does have an internal safety in the trigger.
If the internal safety is like the ones that i know, then the gun will shot anyway in case you pull the trigger: it works only in the event that the pistol is dropped (for example) to prevent accidental shots, but i don't know that S&W M&P .40 at all.
Crazy story anyway, not a nice birthday gift

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, kellyhound
Old 07-15-2012, 05:26 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss61174

what are the odds ?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post
This story really is bizarre and horrific. Reportedly a woman celebrating her 25th birthday at a party hugged the wrong guy -- I mean maybe he was a nice guy and all, but definitely the wrong dude to embrace. Adaisha Miller came up to a fellow partygoer and hugged him from behind, triggering the gun he had in his holster. The whole scenario is made even more tragic because the gun wearer was an off-duty police officer. The woman died.

Word has it that the police officer, who has been placed on desk duty while the incident is investigated, was wearing a waist holster made of lightweight material that would make it possible to squeeze the trigger right through the holster.

Now, I'm no gun expert, but what the hell? Aren't there locks on guns? And do officers carry their guns everywhere -- even to the birthday parties of friends? Seems like there should have been some precautions here. Additionally, the woman reportedly hugged him from behind -- so how she managed to pull the trigger on a gun is beyond me.

Wouldn't a gun that could go off at a moment's (or hugger's) notice be dangerous for the man to wear? And what if a child had come up and tugged at his shirt or something? I'm just baffled. Maybe some police officers or family members of police officers can tell me what happened here, because I'm not getting it.

Perhaps it is just common sense never to touch a police officer -- ever. But he was at a party. Presumably he didn't have his uniform on. This just seems like a tragedy that could have been avoided with more common sense and precaution.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_ne..._hugs_a_cop_at

Unfortunately, common sense really isn't. It's more of an oxymoron.

I was just watching, "1000 Ways to Die", and I saw a finger gun. Do you know of these? Very cool!

Low velocity and small caliber, but, you could should someone in the eye, neck or crotch at close range and cause severe injury. The victim got shot in the eye through his glasses!

I want one!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatagato View Post
According to Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee Jr., the gun had the trigger that could be reached through holster.

If the internal safety is like the ones that i know, then the gun will shot anyway in case you pull the trigger: it works only in the event that the pistol is dropped (for example) to prevent accidental shots, but i don't know that S&W M&P .40 at all.
Crazy story anyway, not a nice birthday gift

When I first saw this, I thought the investigator's name was, "Goodbye", but, I like Godbee, too!

Doesn't sound like a safe weapon to have around children or a party atmosphere.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhound View Post
what are the odds ?

Her number came up.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Hows about better gun control.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stevee For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865

idk.. this just sounds like a cop coverup. still dont see how it shot her and not the ground.. or a foot. maybe he was scared because he knows how black parties go, then got surprised by a prison sex hug and squeezed one off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brometheus For This Useful Post:
JamesPeach, Monoxide
Old 07-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10900 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25832

What a strange story.. Please add updates as the investigation continues.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:00 AM
gatagato
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss5487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post
idk.. this just sounds like a cop coverup. still dont see how it shot her and not the ground.. or a foot. maybe he was scared because he knows how black parties go, then got surprised by a prison sex hug and squeezed one off.
They say she was on her knees when the gun fired; however the mother of the victim said she was told by witnesses that her daughter and Parrish were side by side and she got a birthday hug from Parrish when the gun went off. These are two completely different scenarios.
The first one makes the gunshot angle possible, the second one makes it unlikely if not impossible. The problem is that ballistics becomes an useless science IF witness "A" says she was on her knees, witness "B" says they were side-by-side, witness "C" says she was standing behind him etc... and someone else decide which one of them spells the truth.
First must be established beyond a shadow of a doubt the exact position of the two when the gun fired (NOT that you pick the version that you want), second how tall was the victim and how tall is the cop, third what exact position had the gun in the holster, if the holster allows some rotation on its Y axis, and if yes, what exact angle change it can reach: finally, ballistics can say whether or not the angle was possible. So far investigations seem to have worked the opposite way, picked up the witnesses best matching the version that the accident was caused by the victim and voilà, everything's explained: the official version explains the incident, the problem is that nobody seems to know if it's based on REAL data.
And yet there are many more questions:
for example, what the fuck is supposed to do an off-duty officer carrying a loaded weapon at a birthday party (and this is NOT a matter of procedures, but a matter of reason, logic and common sense)?
or
HOW actually officers handled the case?
or
since the only way to shot from THAT gun is to pull the trigger, why the fuck, having the opportunity to choose the holster, one chooses a model that allows the trigger to be manipulated (which should be BANNED if you ask me)?
or
since "off-duty officers are prohibited by state law from carrying a firearm if their blood alcohol level is 0.02% or above", why didn't he have his blood taken for alcohol and drug testing?

and on top of that:

whenever you carry a weapon, you must PROTECT it at any cost, if someone is touching you in the closeness of the area the weapon is stored, you MUST immediately cover it with your open hand: this is something that even noobs know, and the man is a 16-year veteran of the force, FFS!

I'm not pointing my finger at anybody, but what happened looks definitely like a long list of negligent acts.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Brometheus, kellyhound, k_dub