Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4798 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
7/11 ssss12970
Re: Huge Satellite to Plunge to Earth: NASA

Thanks Kelly. I was outside for 45 minutes plus with eye in the sky. The last video shows the ars site I went to with the program I downloaded for the flight path and other cool crap.

The Following User Says Thank You to BryanXavier For This Useful Post:
Faline
Old 09-24-2011, 04:11 PM
BryanXavier
Offline:
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4798 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
7/11 ssss12970

Then I am pretty sure I saw it. I'm in Michigan and when I said "I SEE IT" I guess I saw it close to the horizon but I saw it from the NE

Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 AM
gatagato
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss5486

***Update

Reported Debris in Alberta is a Hoax

Quote:
CALGARY—Officials in the U.S. and Canada are trying to determine where debris from an American satellite have landed, but the RCMP is shooting down reports that some pieces fell in an Alberta community.

More than 15 hours after the spacecraft plunged over the north Pacific Ocean early Saturday, U.S. space officials didn't know just where it crashed.

No injuries or damage were reported, leading NASA to conclude there's a good likelihood most of the space junk dropped safely into the sea.

The spacecraft entered the atmosphere around 12:15 a.m. ET over the coast of Washington state, said Jonathan McDowell of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

He said while the ocean was the likeliest crash pad, some debris may have made it to Canada, such as Calgary or Saskatoon, Sask. Portland, Ore. and Seattle also might have been hit.

Those locations were possible because the last track for the satellite included Canada, starting north of Seattle and then making a large arc north and then south, said NASA spokesman Steve Cole.

NASA has received no credible reports of debris on the ground.

Phil Langill, director of the Rothney Astrophysics Observatory at the University of Calgary, said figuring out where the 26 pieces rained down is difficult because the re-entry track was unpredictable.

“Having no solid predictions means that it's just luck of the draw,” he said. “And if it happened to be cloudy — worse of all if it happened to be daytime when this thing came down — most people would have missed it even if they knew where to look.”

A YouTube video and comments on Twitter triggered speculation that debris may have hit Okotoks, a town south of Calgary. But the RCMP said it found no evidence support that.

RCMP Sgt. Patrick Webb said the video is likely a hoax, adding police have heard nothing about falling debris in the area.

“If that video is real, I will buy you a cup of coffee,” Webb said in an interview.

On the video, the videographers talk throughout the footage and at one point, a person says — “I am Oklahoma City, looking southeast and... the debris pieces keep on coming.”

The video was titled “Okotoks, Canada - UARS Fiery Footage” and the Oklahoma City reference was not immediately clear.

Speculation spiralled wildly on Twitter over where the pieces made landfall. Some users posted more obviously fake videos that at first sounded like they could be real in attempts to generate views.

“It's pretty goofy,” Langill said with a chuckle. “What does that say about people and getting attention? It's more of a psychological and sociological experiment than a scientific experiment.”

He said that if conditions were ideal, there could have been a spectacular light show similar to a meteor flashing through the sky, but the display would be brighter as the pieces burned up and stayed illuminated longer.

“It would have had a nice long tail and would have initially been one bright spot and then broken up into two or three bright spots,” he said.

Were anyone to find any debris on the ground, most would be smaller than a baseball and look like melted metal blobs, Langill said. However, NASA said it expected the biggest surviving chunk could weigh as much as 136 kilograms.

High above the earth, the satellite weighed six tons.

McDowell said he'd be surprised if anyone was hurt by the debris because it appears to have fallen in such remote areas.

“I do think people saw lights in the sky and fireballs and may well be bits of UARS falling down,” he said.

All the buzz surrounding the satellite's descent amused Langill, who said objects fall from the sky more frequently than the public realizes.

“The only thing that was really different about this one is that there may be a chance that some of the larger, denser pieces could make it down to the ground,” he said. “I think that's what made the story more interesting for everyone.”
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...n-alberta?bn=1

See also:
Satellite hoax had 'debris' falling over Alberta

Also, NASA just confirmed that precise re-entry time and location of debris impacts have not been determined.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
kellyhound, Sharon
Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
spycosis
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:683
XY

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss783

could be coz a lot of satellites have nuclear power sources onboard

Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss51378

Quote:
Originally Posted by spycosis View Post
could be coz a lot of satellites have nuclear power sources onboard
That sounds scary Aren't they all brought down over sea?