Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123
Home Daycare Fire...3 Confirmed Dead

HOUSTON -

Three children have been confirmed dead following a child care center fire in west Houston. Four others remain hospitalized, and at least two of the surviving four were being transported to Shriners Burn Hospital in Galveston late Thursday night.

In all, seven children were under the care of one adult at that home in the 2800 block of Crest Park Drive at Waypark Drive. The ages of those children ranged from 18 months to three years.
Throughout the day, reports of deaths trickled in. The first victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The latest victim was confirmed dead around 4:40 p.m.

SkyFOX cameras were over the scene as emergency crews rushed the small children to nearby ambulances. It appeared the children were unresponsive as they were carried by firefighters and EMS officials.

Cameras captured footage of rescuers cradling babies in their arms. Another heart-wrenching image showed firefighters on their bellies trying to revive the children on the front yard of the burning home.

"Understand most of these members (of the fire department) here are parents or uncles or aunts," said HFD Assistant Chief Rick Flanagan.

Though no fire was visible from the air, smoke could be seen billowing from the roof of the house/daycare center. Flanagan said the smoke was so heavy when firefighters arrived on scene; they ripped a hole in the roof of the house and used an infrared camera to locate the babies.

An official with Child Protective Services said the home is a registered family home and not a day care center as previously reported. A registered family home can care for 12 children including their own.

A day care center can take care of 200 to 300 children at a time.

The home is owned and operated by Jackie's Daycare. There is no record of concerns or complaints filed against the organization.

Prior to receiving their child care license in March 1, 2010, Jackie's Daycare was cited for not having a fire extinguisher and carbon monoxide detector inside the home. The company bought both items the very next day.

Neighbor Sandy Sawyer identified the daycare operator as "Jessica." She said she spoke to Jessica shortly after firefighters arrived.

"She's more calm (now) than she was earlier. She was really upset," Sawyer said. S

Sawyer didn't know if Jessica helped get the babies out of the home.

"I'm not sure about that," Sawyer said. "She told me that she herself passed out from the smoke."

Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM
alpha.first.one
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:670
male

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss808
Re: Home Daycare Fire...3 Confirmed Dead

the lady was at the store when fire started

Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

yeah....I heard that. They have her on tape at the store. Apparently a 4th child died today from burns.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Frank_Furter
Offline:
Der ├╝bliche Verd├Ąchtige
Poster Rank:706
Peckerwood

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss747

Poor parents! Even though it is in no way heir fault, they're going to feel guilt and second guess themselves forever. "What if..." "If only..."

Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 AM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

The media vultures were quick to swoop down on them to find out how they felt about the whole thing instead of leaving them to grieve and let the event sink in.

I'd probably second guess myself forever too.