Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: Heroin to Be Prescribed to Canadian Addicts by Doctors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
Ok...I'm confused here. First off, I didn't know that Beyer still made real brand name Heroin anymore...that's interesting in and of itself. Second, what's with the whole "clinical trials" stuff? Pretty much everyone knows what Heroin does. Are they using it as a natural substitute for traditional Methadone treatment? Third, is this like what the do in the UK where they register and supply Heroin addicts with government issued Heroin? I don't understand this. Sounds stupid...what's next Laudanum therapy? Everything old is new again...next well see the reintroduction of Chinese opium dens as treatment centers. Maybe I'm missing something, but this sounds kinda goofy.
I think they've just gotten tired of failing at the traditional approach, and looking at other places where a similar policy has mitigated the damage somewhat more effectively.

Vancouver has has a heroin epidemic for as long as I can remember. Everything has failed.
This is the last resort, I don't see it being any worse than what it already was.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
30564U, Oswald2001, Xfactor
Old 11-26-2014, 02:54 PM
30564U
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agapeti View Post
Well if you think logically about it, it is going to be given to people that 'traditional therapy' didn't work. Not only will it lower the crime rate because they won't be robbing/burglarizing people for money to buy it on their own, but it will also make it safer - considering needles and HIV. Another thing it will do is decrease deaths from overdoses. So to me, it makes sense.
Yup...that's exactly what they said about Methadone fifty years ago. See how well that worked out? Thank God for the mirical of Methadone! Why crime is nonexistent, burglary is a forgotten crime, there is no more drug abuse, there hasn't been a drug overdose since 1960, and no one has gotten HIV or AIDs in the last thirty years. Three cheers for Methadone...three cheers for Heroin...three cheers for stupid ideas!

The Following User Says Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001
Old 11-26-2014, 03:09 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
I think they've just gotten tired of failing at the traditional approach, and looking at other places where a similar policy has mitigated the damage somewhat more effectively.

Vancouver has has a heroin epidemic for as long as I can remember. Everything has failed.
This is the last resort, I don't see it being any worse than what it already was.
Ok...that's a fair statement, I'll buy that. I just get sick of the whole "new idea" crowd. They love to tell you how whatever theory, technique, or new idea is going to make the heavens open and the angels sing. If you live long enough, you see that nothing (or at least very very little) is really new...it's just the same nonsense that was tried fifty or more years ago just regurgitated and repackaged for a new generation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001, rob666
Old 11-26-2014, 03:17 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
Ok...that's a fair statement, I'll buy that. I just get sick of the whole "new idea" crowd. They love to tell you how whatever theory, technique, or new idea is going to make the heavens open and the angels sing. If you live long enough, you see that nothing (or at least very very little) is really new...it's just the same nonsense that was tried fifty or more years ago just regurgitated and repackaged for a new generation.
East Vancouver is a war zone, just a complete disaster..... I don't like the idea of giving out a horrific drug like heroin either, but sadly even though it will be handed out it likely won't make heroin more available than it already is

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
30564U, Oswald2001
Old 11-26-2014, 03:20 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by commondenom View Post
about time the world fucking woke up to this.....chucking addicts or users in prison is insane..a huge waste of time and money
Chucking drug addicts and drug abusers in prison for simply using/ingesting drugs is a waste of time and money...but, drug addicts and drug abusers who land in prison are there for committing felonious crimes secondary to their drug addictions. As I've said many times before...here in America, not one goes to PRISON for simply using illegal drugs, simple possession of an illegal drugs, or simple being under the influence of illegal drugs. They would have had to have had fairly extensive prior felonies to end up in PRISON. See here in America we have a bifurcated criminal justice system. Light weight felonies and misdemeanors go to County Jail...serious felonies go to State Prison. No one goes to prison in America for simple drug use...no matter what you've heard to the contrary.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
commondenom, Oswald2001
Old 11-26-2014, 03:25 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
East Vancouver is a war zone, just a complete disaster..... I don't like the idea of giving out a horrific drug like heroin either, but sadly even though it will be handed out it likely won't make heroin more available than it already is
So they're going to just hand it out? No registration...no tracking? Wow, I just assumed they would use the British model. That's an extremely dangerous and libelous action that won't work out like they hope it will. Let's just hand out juiced up Heroin and then give it a week and just start anew until Heroin addiction would be just a silly rumor talked about by old retired coppers and firefighters.

The Following User Says Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001
Old 11-26-2014, 03:31 PM
bob351
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:32
male

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 11215 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 9/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss23603

This is great, now if only we could go even further like portugal.

The Following User Says Thank You to bob351 For This Useful Post:
30564U
Old 11-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Oswald2001
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:99

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10543

Quote:
It seemed to me like they were trying to sell it as if it were some kind of new therapeutic breakthrough.

I don't think this will change anything for the better.

With heroin addicts, pretty much everything will fail because of the psychological aspects of addiction.

There is no problem with the efficacy of the current drugs available.

Best of luck to them anyway.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oswald2001 For This Useful Post:
30564U, CrunchyCripple, rob666
Old 11-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20139 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49383

Quote:
Originally Posted by thckoitin View Post
This is ok. They already prescripted methadon and subutex for same reason. What's the difference?
not to mention how often painkillers are given for pain, some of which are essentially synthetic heroin.

30564U, CrunchyCripple, thckoitin
Old 11-26-2014, 06:16 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald2001 View Post
It seemed to me like they were trying to sell it as if it were some kind of new therapeutic breakthrough.

I don't think this will change anything for the better.

With heroin addicts, pretty much everything will fail because of the psychological aspects of addiction.

There is no problem with the efficacy of the current drugs available.

Best of luck to them anyway.
Yup...I thought the same thing. Like, gee look at that Heroin stuff. It looks like it might just work to address Heroin addiction...to bad no one's ever thought of doing that...fighting Heroin with Heroin. Why, I bet we'll get the Nobel Prize.