Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5490
Hawaii Woman Told To Shorten Her 35-Letter Last Name For Driver's License

Quote:
Hawaii driver's licenses haven't garnered this much attention since McLovin made his debut.

Now the Hawaii Department of Transportation is under the microscope for shortening a woman's 35-letter-long last name.

For the past 20 years, Janice “Lokelani” Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele (watch the KHON2 video to hear it pronounced
-- expertly, we might add
) has had to carry two IDs -- a state ID card and a driver's license. Her Hawaii driver's license dropped one letter in her last name and didn't even include her first or middle names. In the past, the governor's office made a special adjustment to accommodate her full name on her state ID, but when that expired in May, her new state ID came back incomplete, just like her driver's license.

This, as you could imagine, makes things like traffic stops and travel difficult. Describing a recent traffic stop, Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele told KHON2 News that the police officer “looked at [the ID] and he goes, ‘Well, where is your first name?’ And I said, ‘Don’t blame me. This is your department, this is the county.’”

Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele has been told by the county to shorten or change her name, to which, she told KHON, she responded, "How disrespectful of the Hawaiian people!"

Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele was married to a Hawaiian man who is now deceased, and the name is not only how she honors his memory, but also his heritage. In an old email to a tool supplier that Gawker dug up, Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele wrote:

Quote:
You see, to some people in the world, your name is everything. If I say my name to an elder Hawaiian (kupuna), they know everything about my husband's family going back many generations ... just from the name. When the name is sliced up, changed or altered it distorts the intention and meaning that the name represents. Unfortunately, many people have been shamed into hiding their real names because they don't fit in with the dominant culture's lack of respect for the name.
A Department of Transportation Spokesperson told KHON2 that they are working to expand the number of characters allowed on a driver's license to 40.

http://www.khon2.com/2013/09/10/acti...ivers-license/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ref=weird-news

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
130912_2ten-9f4cb.jpg  

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Faline, Iliketurtles, Kanda444, kellyhound, Megamel29, Xfactor
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM
calisphere
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1507
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss229
Re: Hawaii Woman Told To Shorten Her 35-Letter Last Name For Driver's License

Even after hearing it, I still couldn't pronounce it. It sure is a hard one! That being said, I completely agree with the woman. As humans, we place special meaning to names and labels. I would never ever ask someone to change their name just to make my life easier. She should keep her name and be able to get official documents written as it should be.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calisphere For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, gatagato, Megamel29, Pigeon, winvens
Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Xfactor
Offline:
Avoiding Limelight
Poster Rank:98
Male
Contributions: 5

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10967

They are retarded and think they have Hawaiian culture.

gatagato, myss)(phit
Old 09-14-2013, 10:49 PM
brandielou
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:4704
Female

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss36

The douche here in Alabama wouldn't allow me to use my first, middle, maiden and last name but for some reason that doesn't always apply. I work in law enforcement and see people with 5 names and 17-letter last names. But an only daughter of my mother and father (wanting to keep my maiden) and my middle name shared 7 generations down my mother's family, wasn't good enough reason to let me have them. I was told directly by the Social Security Administration, "Get rid of the middle and make the middle your maiden or don't take your married name". Another example of The Bible Belt honor or traditions....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brandielou For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, gatagato, winvens
Old 09-15-2013, 09:41 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 20/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss61189

there's enough room for at least another ten letters on the driver's license so a simple adjustment can fix this discussion me thinks.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:50 PM
banana dick
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:481

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1327

are they retarded or just lazy? just give her a special card.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Zambini
Offline:
Instigator Extraordinaire
Poster Rank:53
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 8124 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss17005

Put her name on the card and move on

Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 PM
statics
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3290
i have lady parts

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss66

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandielou View Post
The douche here in Alabama wouldn't allow me to use my first, middle, maiden and last name but for some reason that doesn't always apply. I work in law enforcement and see people with 5 names and 17-letter last names. But an only daughter of my mother and father (wanting to keep my maiden) and my middle name shared 7 generations down my mother's family, wasn't good enough reason to let me have them. I was told directly by the Social Security Administration, "Get rid of the middle and make the middle your maiden or don't take your married name". Another example of The Bible Belt honor or traditions....
That's so strange, I had the complete opposite problem, also in Alabama. After I got married I wanted to drop my maiden name. My SSC has my first, middle, and last name. They gave me the option for my DL of first, middle, maiden, married or first, maiden, married. Fucking ridiculous.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to statics For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, gatagato, winvens
Old 09-16-2013, 01:57 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by statics View Post
That's so strange, I had the complete opposite problem, also in Alabama. After I got married I wanted to drop my maiden name. My SSC has my first, middle, and last name. They gave me the option for my DL of first, middle, maiden, married or first, maiden, married. Fucking ridiculous.
That is strange. Weird rules. Meanwhile, in Wisconsin...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...-bop-arrested/

A Wisconsin man with a unique name is in jail after police said he violated his bail conditions from a previous problem with the law.
Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, formerly Jeffrey Drew Wilschke, was arrested for carrying a concealed knife, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana and a probation violation on Thursday.

The Capital Times reports that according to a police news release, residents near Reynolds Park called police to report alleged excessive drinking and drug use near the park.

"Officers contacted a subject they had previous dealings with, identified as Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop," said police spokesman Howard Payne.

Court records show that Zopittybop-Bop-Bop legally changed his name in October. He remained behind bars as of Sunday, and jail records don't list a bail amount or attorney.

Zopittybop-Bop-Bop was spotted near the tennis courts of the park. "A search of his property revealed a knife, marijuana and drug paraphernalia," Payne said.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, gatagato
Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 AM
MrCorpse
*DR's nice guy*
Poster Rank:44
Male

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 6879 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 14/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss19100

That's not a Hawaiian name, that's latin... Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele is a type of cockroach.