Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392
Harvard Professor Seeks Mother for Cloned Cave Baby

Quote:
A leading geneticist is on the hunt for an 'adventurous woman' to help turn back the hands of time - and give birth to a Neanderthal baby.
George Church, a genetics professor at Harvard Medical School, believes he can bring back the extinct ancestor of modern man after more than 33,000 years.
Contrary to popular belief, Neanderthals were in fact a highly intelligent race and Prof Church believes they could be recreated through modern medicine.
He told German magazine, Der Spiegel: 'I have already managed to attract enough DNA from fossil bones to reconstruct the DNA of the human species largely extinct. Now I need an adventurous female human.
'It depends on a lot of things, but I think it can be done. The reason I would consider it a possibility is that a bunch of technologies are developing faster than ever before.
'In particular, reading and writing DNA is now about a million times faster than seven or eight years ago.
'Another technology that the de-extinction of a Neanderthal would require is human cloning.
'We can clone all kinds of mammals, so it's very likely that we could clone a human. Why shouldn't we be able to do so?"

Prof Church, 58, is a pioneer in synthetic biology, which aims is to create synthetic DNA and organisms in the laboratory.
During the 1980s, he helped initiate the Human Genome Project that created a map of the human genome.
He admits his project may have shades of Frankenstein about it, but he believes recreating Neanderthals would benefit mankind.
Prof Church added: 'Neanderthals might think differently than we do. We know that they had a larger cranial size. They could even be more intelligent than us.
'When the time comes to deal with an epidemic or getting off the planet or whatever, it's conceivable that their way of thinking could be beneficial.
'They could maybe even create a new neo-Neanderthal culture and become a political force. The main goal is to increase diversity. The one thing that is bad for society is low diversity.
'This is true for culture or evolution, for species and also for whole societies. If you become a monoculture, you are at great risk of perishing.
'Therefore the recreation of Neanderthals would be mainly a question of societal risk avoidance.'
The geneticist also explains how the process could theoretically be carried out.
'The first thing you have to do is to sequence the Neanderthal genome, and that has actually been done.
'The next step would be to chop this genome up into, say, 10,000 chunks and then synthesize these. Finally, you would introduce these chunks into a human stem cell.
'If we do that often enough, then we would generate a stem cell line that would get closer and closer to the corresponding sequence of the Neanderthal.
'We developed the semi-automated procedure required to do that in my lab.
'Finally, we assemble all the chunks in a human stem cell, which would enable you to finally create a Neanderthal clone.'
The missing puzzle in his plan is a surrogate mother for the project, who would be a human female.
According to experts, Prof Church's plan is technically possible.
Many of his suggestions formed the central plot-line of the 1993 Steven Spielberg film Jurassic Park, in which dinosaur DNA that had been embedded in chunks of amber was extracted to recreate the monsters that once dominated Earth.
Neanderthals are named after the site in the Neander Valley, Germany, where archaeologists first discovered the species in 1856 - three years before Charles Darwin published his On The Origin Of Species.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, kellyhound, Pyramid_Head
Old 01-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Viking64
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:5
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 24600 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss70998
Re: Harvard Professor Seeks Mother for Cloned Cave Baby

If a woman wants to breed with a Neanderthal, all she has to do is go and get drunk at any local sports bar.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Viking64 For This Useful Post:
juliemd, Oswald2001, rocknsweets, slapchoppa
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM
253bumper
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1115
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss352

damn larger cranial huh...feel sorry for that ladys cooch lol ...but Hah watch it be the anit christ tho lol....be crazy of tru tho

The Following User Says Thank You to 253bumper For This Useful Post:
juliemd
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 PM
juliemd
Offline:
Hey, Ass-butt!
Poster Rank:376
female

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by 253bumper View Post
damn larger cranial huh...feel sorry for that ladys cooch lol ...but Hah watch it be the anit christ tho lol....be crazy of tru tho
I was thinking the same thing. that overly large head! I wonder even if it could be carried full term due to changes in DNA and other factors?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Creepy
Offline:
AFK
Poster Rank:47

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6540 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss18408

I'll be the guinea pig. I am awfy broody these days.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creepy For This Useful Post:
K9Grip
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 AM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy View Post
Yeah, but if you did it, then it would turn out all cute and soft.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM
BryanXavier
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss12963
Cloning is Fucked Up on So Many Levels.

We have no clue to the ethics of it.

Wanted: 'Adventurous woman' to give birth to Neanderthal man - Harvard professor seeks mother for cloned cave baby

Professor George Church of Harvard Medical School believes he can reconstruct Neanderthal DNA
His ambitious plan requires a human volunteer willing to allow the DNA to be put into stem cells, then a human embryo

By ALLAN HALL and FIONA MACRAE
PUBLISHED: 10:36 EST, 20 January 2013 | UPDATED: 04:16 EST, 21 January 2013
Comments (736)

Neanderthals have been extinct for 33,000 years, but George Church, a genetics professor at Harvard Medical School, believes he can bring them back with the help of a surrogate human mother.
They're usually thought of as a brutish, primitive species.

So what woman would want to give birth to a Neanderthal baby?

Yet this incredible scenario is the plan of one of the world’s leading geneticists, who is seeking a volunteer to help bring man’s long-extinct close relative back to life.

Professor George Church of Harvard Medical School believes he can reconstruct Neanderthal DNA and resurrect the species which became extinct 33,000 years ago.

His scheme is reminiscent of Jurassic Park but, while in the film dinosaurs were created in a laboratory, Professor Church’s ambitious plan requires a human volunteer.

He said his analysis of Neanderthal genetic code using samples from bones is complete enough to reconstruct their DNA.

He said: ‘Now I need an adventurous female human.

‘It depends on a hell of a lot of things, but I think it can be done.’

Professor Church’s plan would begin by artificially creating Neanderthal DNA based on genetic code found in fossil remains. He would put this DNA into stem cells.

These would be injected into cells from a human embryo in the early stages of life.

It is thought that the stem cells would steer the development of the hybrid embryo on Neanderthal lines, rather than human ones.

After growing in the lab for a few days, the ‘neo-Neanderthal’ embryo would be implanted in the womb of a surrogate mother – the volunteer. Professor Church, 58, is a pioneer in synthetic biology who helped initiate the Human Genome Project that mapped our DNA.

He says Neanderthals were not the lumbering brutes of the stereotype, but highly intelligent. Their brains were roughly the same size as man’s, and they made primitive tools.

Cloning the caveman: Geneticist Professor George Church
He believes his project could benefit mankind.
He told German magazine Der Spiegel: ‘Neanderthals might think differently than we do. They could even be more intelligent than us.
‘When the time comes to deal with an epidemic or getting off the planet, it’s conceivable that their way of thinking could be beneficial.’

Scientists say that his plan is theoretically possible, although in Britain, like most countries, human reproductive cloning is a criminal offence.
But Professor Church’s proposal is so cutting-edge that it may not be covered by existing laws.
However, experts worry that neo-Neanderthals might lack the immunity to modern diseases to survive, and some fear that the process might lead to deformity.

There is also uncertainty over how they would fit into today’s world. Bioethicist Bernard Rollin of Colorado State University said: ‘I don’t think it’s fair to put people... into a circumstance where they are going to be mocked and possibly feared.’
In a scathing reaction, Philippa Taylor of the Christian Medical Fellowship said: ‘It is hard to know where to begin with the ethical and safety concerns.’

Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy View Post
Me too but i'll pass on this one lol

Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Xfactor
Offline:
Avoiding Limelight
Poster Rank:98
Male
Contributions: 4

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20