Poster Rank:583

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1008
Girl Commits Suicide After Having to Marry Her Rapist

RABAT, Morocco — The case of a 16-year-old girl who killed herself after she was forced to marry her rapist has spurred outrage among Morocco's internet activists and calls for changes to the country's laws.

An online petition, a Facebook page and countless tweets expressed horror over the suicide of Amina Filali, who swallowed rat poison on Saturday to protest her marriage to the man who raped her a year earlier.

Article 475 of the Moroccan penal code allows for the "kidnapper" of a minor to marry his victim to escape prosecution, and it has been used to justify a traditional practice of making a rapist marry his victim to preserve the honor of the woman's family.

"Amina, 16, was triply violated, by her rapist, by tradition and by Article 475 of the Moroccan law," tweeted activist Abadila Maaelaynine.

Abdelaziz Nouaydi, who runs the Adala Assocation for legal reform, said a judge can recommend marriage only in the case of agreement by the victim and both families.

"It is not something that happens a great deal — it is very rare," he said, but admitted that the family of the victim sometimes agrees out of fear that she won't be able to find a husband if it is known she was raped.

The marriage is then pushed on the victim by the families to avoid scandal, said Fouzia Assouli, president of Democratic League for Women's Rights.

"It is unfortunately a recurring phenomenon," she said."We have been asking for years for the cancellation of Article 475 of the penal code which allows the rapist to escape justice."

The victim's father said in an interview with an online Moroccan newspaper that it was the court officials who suggested from the beginning the marriage option when they reported the rape.

"The prosecutor advised my daughter to marry, he said 'go and make the marriage contract,'" said Lahcen Filali in an interview that appeared on goud.ma Tuesday night.

In many societies, the loss of a woman's virginity outside of wedlock is a huge stain of honor on the family.

In many parts of the Middle East, there is a tradition whereby a rapist can escape prosecution if he marries his victim, thereby restoring her honor. There is a similar injunction in the Old Testament's Book of Deuteronomy

Morocco updated its family code in 2004 in a landmark improvement of the situation of women, but activists say there's still room for improvement.

In cases of rape, the burden of proof is often on the victim and if she can't prove she was attacked, a woman risks being prosecuted for debauchery.

"In Morocco, the law protects public morality but not the individual," said Assouli, adding that legislation outlawing all forms of violence against women, including rape within marriage, has been stuck in the government since 2006.

According to the father's interview, the girl was accosted on the street and raped when she was 15, but it was two months before she told her parents.

He said the court pushed the marriage, even though the perpetrator initially refused. He only consented when faced with prosecution. The penalty for rape is between five and 10 years in prison, but rises to 10 to 20 in the case of a minor.

Filali said Amina complained to her mother that her husband was beating her repeatedly during the five months of marriage but that her mother counseled patience.

A Facebook page called "We are all Amina Filali" has been formed and an online petition calling for Morocco to end the practice of marrying rapists and their victims has already gathered more than 1,000 signatures

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1039116

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TwistedPrincess For This Useful Post:
Brainplague, diamondsmiles, GFX-707, K9Grip, kellyhound, kordy, luciddrmr, Pyramid_Head
Old 03-16-2012, 02:41 AM
TheJewishYeti
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1528
Yeti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss223
Re: Girl Commits Suicide After Having to Marry Her Rapist

Disgusting. The only choice given in such a case should be as to which end to string him up by

Old 03-16-2012, 04:03 AM
Iliketurtles
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:641

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss864

This is in the bible no?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iliketurtles For This Useful Post:
Asoss, bigmikeymike, usa galor, ZXY
The Following 4 Users Disliked Iliketurtles For This Post:
banana dick, DavidDemonic, Ozzman, Zambini
Old 03-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Brainplague
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:246
Female

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3529

I'm guessing that the girl was probably blamed for being raped, and since she was no longer a "virgin", and she was damaged goods, and her father couldn't marry her off for the gain of the family.

So why not marry her to rapist? It solves the problem of getting rid of the daughter by marriage and preserves the family honor, right?

It's so sad that this poor child had no say in the matter, and had to kill her self to escape a situation that she had no hand in creating. Requiem in Pace.

diamondsmiles, K9Grip
The Following Users Disliked This Post By Brainplague:
usa galor
Old 03-16-2012, 05:44 AM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:396
Male

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1836

this is fucking sad,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thissiteisfuckedup For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, K9Grip
Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 AM
mpcronin
Offline:
Captain
Poster Rank:224
meat & veggies
Contributions: 16

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3913

If I were the girls dad, I would kill that fucker and claim it as an "honor killing".

banana dick, Blewvane, diamondsmiles, Flaka, icheerthebull, K9Grip, kellyhound, usa galor
Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61206

Quote:
Local media reports say that the girl complained to her family about her mistreatment at the hands of the man who raped her – but they disowned her, prompting her to take her own life.

Witnesses say her husband became so outraged when she drank the poison he dragged her down the street by her hair – and she died shortly afterwards.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

She should have cut his balls off before doing the poison.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blewvane For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, draken, Flaka, K9Grip, usa galor
Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
stephaniewalker
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1253
woman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

I would do unspeakable things to this barnyard idiot if he harmed one of my Children.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephaniewalker For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, usa galor
Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 PM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:356
Contributions: 1

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2093

Internet activists = people too cowardly or plain fucking lazy to actually go out and do something.

The Following 4 Users Disliked DannyDrama For This Post:
BigFoot, diamondsmiles, K9Grip, Ozzman