Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
Girl, 6, Vanishes From Home

Sadly, I'm sure this child won't be found alive. I hope I'm wrong, but, it is happening too often lately in the US.

I guess the critera to issuing an Amber Alert is finding body parts or the child's clothing.

This is a video link. It took a minute or so to start playing.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...hp&form=msnrll

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 PM
DeeMarieGK
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:73
A chick.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12915
Re: Girl, 6, Vanishes From Home

Amber Alert is only issued if an abduction is witnessed, a make of car and a lot of missing children cases do not meet the threshold for an Amber Alert.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeeMarieGK For This Useful Post:
Dynamo47, K9Grip, Vera Wang
Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM
bigmikeymike
Offline:
To infinity and beyond!
Poster Rank:538
Weener

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1140

Well that's just fucked up.

But then again alot of peoples kids run away so I guess I can kind of understand why there would be some kind of "criteria"

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” -Stephen Roberts

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

With a child this young and here last being seen at night, I think the Alert should go right out! They're wasting time!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 PM
DeeMarieGK
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
A chick.

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12915

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
With a child this young and here last being seen at night, I think the Alert should go right out! They're wasting time!
I know. But there is still a strict criteria to meet for issuing an Amber and Silver Alert. I guess we would be seeing them a lot more often if there weren't, but I think we would feel a lot better.
They deploy a FBI Child Abduction and Evidence Response Team faster than they do an Amber Alert.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:56 PM
DeeMarieGK
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
A chick.

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12915

Bedroom abductions are really rare, and usually end very badly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeeMarieGK For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Dynamo47
Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 AM
DeeMarieGK
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
A chick.

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12915

Here are more details about Amber Alerts. Unfortunately there is that one part where there needs to be details about the abduction. The 11 year old Celina Cass way up in NH, and Molly Bish are just a couple of high profile cases that did not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert. For some reason it seemed the 90's were a really bad time for missing children. That, and in Florida as well. Or maybe there are way too many now for each one to get the attention like, say, Amber Hagerman,(1996, Amber Alert) Polly Klass (1993) Megan Kanka, (1994, Megans law)etc....
Guidelines for Issuing AMBER Alerts

Every successful AMBER plan contains clearly defined activation criteria. The following guidance is designed to achieve a uniform, interoperable network of plans across the country, and to minimize potentially deadly delays because of confusion among varying jurisdictions. The following are criteria recommendations:

Law Enforcement Confirms an Abduction

AMBER plans require law enforcement to confirm an abduction prior to issuing an alert. This is essential when determining the level of risk to the child. Clearly, stranger abductions are the most dangerous for children and thus are primary to the mission of an AMBER Alert. To allow activations in the absence of significant information that an abduction has occurred could lead to abuse of the system and ultimately weaken its effectiveness. At the same time, each case must be appraised on its own merits and a judgment call made quickly. Law enforcement must understand that a “best judgment” approach, based on the evidence, is appropriate and necessary.

Risk of Serious Bodily Injury or Death

Plans require a child be at risk for serious bodily harm or death before an alert can be issued. This element is clearly related to law enforcement’s recognition that stranger abductions represent the greatest danger to children. The need for timely, accurate information based on strict and clearly understood criteria is critical, again keeping in mind the “best judgment” approach.

Sufficient Descriptive Information

For an AMBER Alert to be effective in recovering a missing child, the law enforcement agency must have enough information to believe that an immediate broadcast to the public will enhance the efforts of law enforcement to locate the child and apprehend the suspect. This element requires as much descriptive information as possible about the abducted child and the abduction, as well as descriptive information about the suspect and the suspect’s vehicle. Issuing alerts in the absence of significant information that an abduction has occurred could lead to abuse of the system and ultimately weaken its effectiveness.

Age of Child

Every state adopt the “17 years of age or younger” standard; or, at a minimum, agree to honor the request of any other state to issue an AMBER Alert, even if the case does not meet the responding state’s age criterion, as long as it meets the age criterion of the requesting state. Most AMBER plans call for activation of the alert for children under a certain age. The problem is that age can vary---some plans specify 10, some 12, some 14, 15, and 16. Differences in age requirements create confusion when an activation requires multiple alerts across states and jurisdictions. Overuse of the AMBER Alert system will undermine its effectiveness as a tool for recovering abducted children.

NCIC Data Entry

Immediately enter AMBER Alert data into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system. Text information describing the circumstances surrounding the abduction of the child should be entered, and the case flagged as a Child Abduction. Many plans do not mandate entry of the data into NCIC, but this omission undermines the entire mission of the AMBER Alert initiative. The notation on the entry should be sufficient to explain the circumstances of the disappearance of the child. Entry of the alert data into NCIC expands the search for an abducted child from the local, state, or regional level to the national. This is a critical element of any effective AMBER Alert plan.

Summary of Department of Justice Recommended Criteria

There is reasonable belief by law enforcement that an abduction has occurred.
The law enforcement agency believes that the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death.
There is enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction for law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child.
The abduction is of a child aged 17 years or younger.
The child’s name and other critical data elements, including the Child Abduction flag, have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeeMarieGK For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, diamondsmiles, Dynamo47, gatagato, K9Grip, Sharon, Stevee
Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 AM
TheCapn
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:856
Male

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss545

..like 80% of child abduction cases are performed by family members. estranged fathers, mothers or grandparents.

Thats why they don't need to make them all amber alerts, otherwise itd be constant shit on tv.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Dynamo47
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:379
Male

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1905

This is very sad and I hope the little girl is found OK. I have partial custody of my son and when he is with my I stay in the room with him. Partially because he wants me to but partially for his protection.

If someone were to try they would need to get through 2 Boxers and then my two rifles and finally me before they would get to him.

Very sad as this is happening all too often anymore.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dynamo47 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, gatagato, Stevee
Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5490

Isabel Mercedes Celis Missing: FBI Dogs Search Disappeared Girl's Tucson Home

TUCSON, Ariz. — Investigators are keeping the family of a 6-year-old girl who disappeared away from their home in Tucson, Ariz.
Quote:
Authorities say they decided to keep the family of first-grader Isabel Mercedes Celis (SELL-uhs) away from the home after a search early Monday of the house by FBI dogs.

Police Chief Robert Villasenor says the information turned up by the dogs required follow-up but he wouldn't reveal what was found.

Two days of searching by scores of police and officers from several agencies have failed to locate Isabel.

Police says she was last seen by her family in her bedroom at 11 p.m. Friday. She was discovered missing at 8 a.m. Saturday.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1445330.html
Quote:
Investigators early Monday sent FBI dogs trained for urban searches into the Tucson home where a 6-year-old girl disappeared as teams of law officers worked to determine if she was abducted.
Two days of searching by scores of police and officers from several agencies failed to locate first-grader Isabel Mercedes Celis, who police said was last seen by her family in her bedroom at 11 p.m. Friday. When she was discovered missing at 8 a.m. Saturday, they called police.
The dogs arrived from the FBI's Virginia headquarters late Sunday and began searching at the home around midnight, said police Sgt. Marco Borboa.
Another news is about a 'Possible entry point' found in search for the little girl:

'Possible entry point' found in search for Isabel Mercedes Celis, 6, in Tucson
Quote:
Updated at 11:16 p.m. ET: Investigators found "suspicious circumstances around a possible entry point" at the home of a 6-year-old Arizona girl whose disappearance has prompted a massive search, with more than 150 law enforcement officers trying to figure out whether she was abducted, a police spokeswoman said Sunday, according to the Associated Press.
Tucson police Sgt. Maria Hawke wouldn't comment Sunday on whether the entry point was a bedroom window or a door. But family friend Mary Littlehorn said she heard from others close to the family that a window screen in the girl's bedroom had been knocked down.
The parents of first-grader Isabel Mercedes Celis have said they last saw her in her bedroom at 11 p.m. Friday, according to Hawke. She was discovered missing at about 8 a.m. Saturday, and the parents phoned 911 minutes later.
Officers kept the whole neighborhood block where Isabel lives cordoned off for a second day and fanned out over a wide area looking for clues to the possible kidnapping. A fourth search of a three-mile radius around the home was completed Sunday afternoon in temperatures that reached the high-90s, police Lt. Fabian Pacheco said at a Sunday evening news conference.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...in-tucson?lite

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
DeeMarieGK, diamondsmiles, Dynamo47