Go Back  

George Zimmerman In Custody, Charged With Second-Degree Murder In Trayvon Martin Case 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Jackobotzie
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:2527
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss103
George Zimmerman In Custody, Charged With Second-Degree Murder In Trayvon Martin Case

The special prosecutor investigating the death of Trayvon Martin announced Wednesday evening that George Zimmerman, who told police he shot the teen in self defense, has been charged with second-degree murder.

Zimmerman faces up to life in prison if convicted.

Authorities said that Zimmerman, who has been in hiding for weeks, was in police custody. Special prosecutor Angela Corey said during a news conference that she would not reveal where Zimmerman was out of concern for his safety. "He is within the custody of law enforcement officers in the state of Florida," Corey said.

The murder charge indicates that prosecutors believe that they can prove Zimmerman shot Martin with malice, though without premeditation. A manslaughter charge would have required prosecutors only to prove that Zimmerman acted unlawfully and with criminal negligence in shooting the teen.

"The difference between murder and manslaughter is your mental state," said Mark Geragos, a Los Angeles defense attorney, who is not connected to the case. "To elevate it to murder, you have to have the element of malice."

Malice is generally defined as showing ill will or "extreme indifference" to human life.

The announcement of the charges comes a day after Zimmerman's attorneys withdrew their counsel, saying they lost contact with him and that he repeatedly ignored their legal advice.

Zimmerman, 28, shot and killed 17-year-old Martin 43 days ago in a gated community in Sanford, Fla., where Martin was visiting with his father and his father's girlfriend. Zimmerman served as the captain of the neighborhood watch and told the police that he shot Martin in self-defense after the teen attacked him.

On the night of the shooting, Zimmerman was questioned at the police station, but he was released shortly thereafter. The police said there was not enough evidence to refute his claims of self-defense.

From the start, Martin’s family and their attorneys questioned the impartiality and thoroughness of the police investigation into the teen’s killing. Law enforcement experts said that Sanford police made key errors early in the investigation and made crucial decisions before important evidence was gathered. Martin's cell phone records were not immediately checked. Investigators did not talk with key witnesses for more than a week. While police conducted a criminal background check on Martin, as well as drug and alcohol tests, Zimmerman was not subject any of the same tests. It was learned later that Zimmerman was arrested in 2005 for assaulting a police officer and has had a history of aggression and violence, including domestic violence.

The killing and the subsequent handling of the investigation into Martin's death sparked national outrage and calls for Zimmerman's arrest. Protests were held across Florida and in other city's including New York City, Detroit and Philadelphia. The case has become a flashpoint in the national debates over racial profiling and gun control.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jackobotzie For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 PM
mrmojo
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1557

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss218
Re: George Zimmerman In Custody, Charged With Second-Degree Murder In Trayvon Martin

Light the torch and let the riots begin!!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrmojo For This Useful Post:
Syphilis
Old 04-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865
Re: George Zimmerman In Custody, Charged With Second-Degree Murder In Trayvon Martin

riots from who?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Seven Of Nine
Offline:
de-assimilated
Poster Rank:214
Female
Contributions: 4

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post
riots from who?

Ya... from who?

The Following User Says Thank You to Seven Of Nine For This Useful Post:
Eskimo Aids
Old 04-11-2012, 11:42 PM
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:276

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3029

Its crazy it took this long. So to all the fags out there that were so sure he did "nothing wrong", eat a sun baked dick. The prosecutor thinks he did.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AmericanIllusions For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, Bleeed.exe, clndstn46, enigmawaffles, Flaka, rob666, Seven Of Nine
The Following 2 Users Disliked AmericanIllusions For This Post:
BlueNosePit, Syphilis
Old 04-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Seven Of Nine
Offline:
de-assimilated
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4126

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanIllusions View Post
Its crazy it took this long. So to all the fags out there that were so sure he did "nothing wrong", eat a sun baked dick. The prosecutor thinks he did.
Gawd I wish I could thank you more than once

Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 AM
lroy10
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:1104

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss356

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanIllusions View Post
Well shit, i guess if the second prosecutor assigned to case thinks Zimmerman is guilty there's really no reason to waste everyone's time with a trial.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lroy10 For This Useful Post:
bigmikeymike, Darkest Angel, johnleeknoefler
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Seven Of Nine
Offline:
de-assimilated
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4126

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroy10 View Post
Well shit, i guess if the second prosecutor assigned to case thinks Zimmerman is guilty there's really no reason to waste everyone's time with a trial.
The issue here is that IT TOOK SO LONG TO ARREST AND PUT THE MAN IN JAIL FOR KILLING TRAYVON. I'm not saying he's guilty.

And besides, the Prosecutors DO think he did it, they absolutely wouldn't go to trial without meeting the criteria necessary for a prosecution ....would they??? LMAO Prosecutors make horrid judgements sometimes. It will play out in time.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:16 AM
Wildrice
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1058
girl

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss386

I, for one will be paying attention to the trial.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wildrice For This Useful Post:
Seven Of Nine
Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Self defense my arse he was trying to rob his skittles.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stevee For This Useful Post:
Flaka, KKSki, rob666, Seven Of Nine, TwistedPrincess, Vanznizzle