Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392
French Coffee House Owner Refuses to Sell His Life’s Work – A Story of Courage

Quote:
lthough his is the only standing building in what used to be an old neighborhood of Roubaix, in Northern France, Salah Oudjani refuses to sell the coffee house he has worked in for the last 46 years.

The title doesn’t sound like anything special, after all, many people refuse to have their property demolished, at least in the beginning, until they get a good price or they notice everyone else is selling except them. But for the 71-year-old business owner neither of the above reasons were good enough. The two-story triangular building once located at the intersection of two streets appears to be the only survivor of a serious air raid. Everything around it has been turned to rubble and taken to local landfills, brick by brick, and Oudjani’s place looks like it’s the only sign of life in a wasteland. Like all the other residents, the café owner has received numerous proposals for his property, but he never even considered selling it. “I will not sell! I worked for it, this coffee house. They will not make me go, I’m used to pressure” Oudjani says, and everyone knows he means it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salah-Oudjani-550x385.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	328183

Originally from Algeria, Salah Oudjani came to France in 1949, and worked hard for many years before he and his wife Ginette bought the “Café Chez Salah” building, in 1965, and claimed their financial and social independence. All through the 70s, the streets of Roubaix were teaming with all kinds of people, from doctors to miners and shoemakers, and the inside of his cafe is a reminder of those days; faded curtains, an old jukebox playing timeless classics, yellowed photos and postcards on the walls, they all tell stories of a time when everyone had a workplace and life was easier. And Salah doesn’t want to part with his memories and life’s work: “I told them I will die here” he says, “I don’t need money, it goes too quikly. I will never move, this is my life, here. And this will be my life. Why go elsewhere when it’s better here?”

Name:	Salah-Oudjani3-550x344.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	328185

Since 2000, every piece of land in Salah Oudjani’s neighborhood was bought from the community, and in 2003 and 2004 the last two factories closed. The new Union eco-district was supposed to be built on the empty lot, but Chez Salah is located right at the junction of two axes the city is trying to rehabilitate. The project is spread over 80 hectares and will provide homes for 240,000 people. 174 million euros are to be invested in the process, and it’s scheduled for completion in 2022. Developers hoped Salah could be swayed until they reached his coffee house, but he is determined to live in the same place he has for the last 46 years. His telephone, gas, and power are occasionally cut off, and garbage trucks don’t even stop by his place anymore, but he keeps serving pints of beer and cups of coffee as if nothing happened. He hasn’t got too many customers apart from some old regulars, but that doesn’t seem to scare him at all.

Name:	Salah-Oudjani2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	328186

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
Alydia, Cumulonimbus, daughterofthenight, SuceMaTub
Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Viking64
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:5
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 24600 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss70998
Re: French Coffee House Owner Refuses to Sell His Life’s Work – A Story of Courage

Cheers to him!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viking64 For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight, kellyhound, SuceMaTub
Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 PM
güttsfükk
Offline:
Super *********
Poster Rank:34

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22942
Re: French Coffee House Owner Refuses to Sell His Life’s Work – A Story of Courage

wonder if he has a few of these helping him out

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
kids2.jpg  

kids3.jpg  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to güttsfükk For This Useful Post:
Cumulonimbus
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 412

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss61159

luv those those stubborn people

Old 01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
blue devil
Offline:
on the outside looking in
Poster Rank:222
male

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3966

Good for him.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

I understand why he won't sell but being stubborn will only hinder him at his time of life, sell it ya silly old bastard retire and enjoy the rest of your natural.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Cumulonimbus
Offline:
Meh
Poster Rank:262

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3156

Quote:
Originally Posted by güttsfükk View Post
wonder if he has a few of these helping him out
Batteries Not Included? I loved that movie when I was a kid