Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1747
Fossil Found in Meteorite

Quote:
This is a close-up electron microscope image of the external layer (frustule) of a diatom (algae) fossil found enmeshed in the rock matrix of a meteorite found in Sri Lanka. Scientists who’ve studied this and other diatoms in the rock believe this is proof of extraterrestrial life in the universe.
If a group of scientists are correct, tiny fossils uncovered inside a meteorite found in Sri Lanka in December are proof of extraterrestrial life.

In a detailed paper called "Fossil Diatoms In A New Carbonaceous Meteorite" that is appearing in the Journal of Cosmology, Chandra Wickramasinghe claims to have found strong evidence that life exists throughout the universe.

An electron microscope was used to study the reported remains of a large meteorite (see image below) that fell near the Sri Lanka village of Polonnaruwa on Dec. 29.

Wickramasinghe is the director of the Buckingham Centre for Astrobiology at the University of Buckingham in the U.K. In December, he and his colleagues found "a microstructure and morphology characteristic of a wide class of terrestrial diatoms." The group concluded that "the presence of structures of this kind in any extraterrestrial setting could be construed as unequivocal proof of biology" -- in other words, proof of life outside of planet Earth.

Diatom a major group of algae, and are one of the most common types of phytoplankton. Most diatoms are unicellular, although they can exist as colonies in the shape of filaments or ribbons (e.g. Fragilaria), fans (e.g. Meridion), zigzags (e.g. Tabellaria), or stellate colonies (e.g. Asterionella). Diatoms are producers within the food chain. A characteristic feature of diatom cells is that they are encased within a cell wall made of silica (hydrated silicon dioxide) called a frustule. These frustules show a wide diversity in form, but are usually almost bilaterally symmetrical, hence the group name. The symmetry is not perfect since one of the valves is slightly larger than the other allowing one valve to fit inside the edge of the other. Fossil evidence suggests that they originated during, or before, the early Jurassic Period. Only male gametes of centric diatoms are capable of movement by means of flagella. Diatom communities are a popular tool for monitoring environmental conditions, past and present, and are commonly used in studies of water quality.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gh007 For This Useful Post:
BLVCK, chefbob09, Eaton, Faline, gatagato, JayceeBugg, kellyhound, Mizz_Russia, Parannoyed, Pyramid_Head, Rudebwoy, slapchoppa, Xfactor
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM
BryanXavier
Offline:
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss12986
Re: Fossil Found in Meteorite

What???? I don't believe it. Why would an extraterrestrial life form mirror ours - carbon-based and almost identical to ours?

It could be true but it would go against everything I've heard speculated about life elsewhere.

I'm intrigued! Thanks.

Kanda444
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
BryanXavier
Offline:
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss12986

Slate had a field day debunking this.

I don't like Slate much but here's the link.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...meteorite.html

gatagato, Kanda444, kellyhound, Rudebwoy
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Gh007
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:407
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanXavier View Post
What???? I don't believe it. Why would an extraterrestrial life form mirror ours - carbon-based and almost identical to ours?

It could be true but it would go against everything I've heard speculated about life elsewhere.

I'm intrigued! Thanks.
the building blocks of all life [the complex materials that make proteins] on earth can be created with some common gasses found in early earths atmosphere mixed with ionization [lightning strikes] in that environment, Diatoms are just the basic most rudimentary single celled things that existed on earth at one point. As far as why are they carbon based... it may be the only way life exists as human beings it the only kind we can find here so it might just be the only way, besides that carbon is the most plentiful element in the universe, and as life develops into more complex life forms I'm sure we would see life that is vastly different than what we find on Earth.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Gh007
Offline:
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanXavier View Post
Slate had a field day debunking this.

I don't like Slate much but here's the link.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...meteorite.html
I would be interested in reading this bloggers peer reviewed scientific paper on the subject.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Rudebwoy
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1440

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss245

He seems kinda right.
The fact that those things are an exact match of our algae species makes it more likely that its contamination. Our algae have already gone through millions of years' worth of evolutionary change and we found those exact matches on a meteorite? and a guy with a clear bias found it? Who has been shown to be wrong multiple times in the past?
I wont hold my breath...
BTW how come noone else reported this so far? Is it a conspiracy?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rudebwoy For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

Awesome news to put it lightly. I'm a very strong believer in UFO, aliens, etc. So this is a nice way to prove we are NOT alone.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3655

The only evidence I need to know we're not alone is the size of space.

1 planet called Earth with humanity as the most intelligent? What a waste.

The Following User Says Thank You to ices For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Gh007
Offline:
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1747

The reason I posted this article is because, its a published scientific article from a major legitimate news source. Not sure why its not recieving more publicity. if you remember in 96-98 they found a metorite in the antartic that had what appeared to be fossils, that was debunked... this seems to have more validity and has so far stood up to scrutiny.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gh007 For This Useful Post:
Wage
Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Xfactor
Offline:
Avoiding Limelight
Poster Rank:98
Male
Contributions: 4

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss10964

I remember when Bill Clinton announce this.