Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123
Forced Vaccinations?

Taking Liberties: Forced Vaccinations?

To Jennifer Workman, God Himself commands her to protect her 8 year-old daughter Madison.

“I am a steward of the Lord for this child, “she said as she walked outside her single level home in Lenore West Virginia on Monday. “And I am not going to let anyone tell me what's best for my child.”

In 1999, Madison’s older sister developed autism just months after receiving her state-required immunizations for measles, mumps and rubella.

“Right after she received her childhood vaccines…her verbal...her potty training…everything had stopped,” she said.

And so two years ago when it came time for Madison to receive her immunizations, Workman said no. Her elementary school in Lenore responded by barring Madison from attending class. And thus began a two year legal struggle with the State of West Virginia that may very well determine the limits of parental rights in America in regard to vaccines.

Workman says she was shocked when the principal told her Madison had to receive the shots.

“Helpless,” she said. “I mean there is no other word for it. I am helpless. I feel forced.”

“My child is not a ward of the state,” she explained. “And I should be able to make those choices myself.”

Workman’s attorney Patricia Finn is an expert in forced vaccination cases and she is outraged.

“This is a basic human right,” she said. “To be able to decide what is injected in our bodies, in our children’s bodies, is everything.”

Unfortunately, last December, the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals disagreed, and Finn now is vowing to take the case to the Supreme Court if necessary.

“This is a First Amendment issue. This is a 9th Amendment issue. This is about basic freedom,” she said.

Most states, explained Finn have a “religious exemption” for immunizations, giving parents who don’t want their children vaccinated an out.

West Virginia and Mississippi, she says, are the only states who don’t have the exemption. And West Virginia is taking a hard line with Workman.

State attorneys maintain vaccines are safe and that there is no evidence linking them to autism. And some experts, including Dr. Anita Chandra, say those who refuse vaccines not only endanger their children, but other kids as well:

“They're also risking spreading the infection to children who are not immunized because of age, [or are] only partially immunized because they haven't received their booster vaccines.”

Chandra is a spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics, a group that pushes the importance of childhood vaccines. Chandra says we as a society have an obligation to ensure all children are immunized.

“It's important to vaccinate all children so you prevent illness from spreading within that population,” she said.

“If my child is unvaccinated and all these other children are vaccinated, How does my child pose any threat?” responded Workman. “This is my child and it’s a right I should have.”.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 AM
sprchrgdtrky
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1403
Female

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss255
Re: Forced Vaccinations?

when my son was born in 2000 there was a lot of stuff coming out about vaccinations and autism... i asked his pediatrician about risks and such and she was unable to give me any complete answers so i refused vaccinations until someone could tell me the risks of what was supposed to be injected into my kid.... he was about a month old when i recieved a visit from child protective services telling me i had been turned in for neglect for refusing vaccinations... i understand needing to protect our kids from diseases but at the time he was my first born and i was freaked out... needless to say he is up to date on all vaccinations but has adhd and o.d.d., i cant help but wonder if its a side effect of his vaccines... guess i'll never know

The Following User Says Thank You to sprchrgdtrky For This Useful Post:
candymosh
Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 AM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

They have never linked vaccines to Autism or any other disorder.My youngest is autistic. I wonder about the shots sometimes too but I know she is vaccinated against some deadly diseases so I don't worry about it too much.

I think maybe if the shots do play a role, the kids were already at risk for the condition anyway

Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

Very tricky subject, I see both sides but still can't decide conclusively, I would have my kids vaccinated (I think), but I wouldn't take kindly to being forced into it knowing there may be a .0 chance that it may harm them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stevee For This Useful Post:
candymosh
Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 PM
sherrimccharles
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:600

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss948

My younger son has autism. Its quite severe. He is low functioning. I didnt give him vaccines because I was nervous about stuff like that. But by the time he turned two I knew something was very wrong. It turned out he has autism and it has nothing to do with vaccines, because he hadnt had any yet. Right now I have a healthy 8 month old, and she will definatley continue with vaccines.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherrimccharles For This Useful Post:
candymosh, Terminal Expiry
Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

Touchy subject that i will put more thought into when i have my own kids, however, if there is even a 0.000001% chance of the vaccination having an adverse effect on my children then they won't have the shots, and CPS can suck my snot. It is a parents responsibility to protect their children and make these decisions based on cold hard facts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blewvane For This Useful Post:
candymosh, sprchrgdtrky, Stevee
Old 05-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Creepy

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 0/20
Today Posts
sssssssss

so many autistic children being born.

why? someone needs to fucking answer why----- now.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
candymosh
The Following Users Disliked This Post By :
Terminal Expiry
Old 05-28-2011, 02:46 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

Facts are all we have, but try and get them. The scientific community can't agree on what's for lunch, let alone what is causing so many defects in children these days. Autism, allergies, psychotic behaviour in kids??? Something has, or is, altering our DNA and we should focus on this fact. Then again that goes into the conspiracy theory box that no one seems to want to address.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blewvane For This Useful Post:
candymosh, Creepy, Terminal Expiry
Old 05-29-2011, 03:42 AM
TwistedPrincess
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:583

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1008

not a lot of difference in the government forcing parents to have their children vaccinated that there was when jim jones forced the parents to make their kids drink the koolaid.

in both scenarios there is someone on top who is making decisions for the child and the mother and/or father has no say about it. if the government wants to take the liberty to say the child must have vaccines then perhaps they should also take the liberty in paying for the childs upbringing - his/her medical, educational, clothes, toys, books, nutrition, birthday parties, summer camp, movie rentals, computer, car at age 16, etc.

otherwise, leave the parenting and the parenting choices to the parents.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TwistedPrincess For This Useful Post:
Blewvane, sprchrgdtrky, Terminal Expiry
Old 05-29-2011, 07:40 AM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

I do believe they are thinking about this because measles is making a comeback in the US

The Following User Says Thank You to candymosh For This Useful Post:
Terminal Expiry