Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865
Florida Girl's Lip Reconstructed After Dog Bite

A Florida girl is recovering from surgery to reconstruct her upper lip and nose after being attacked by a friend's dog during a sleepover.

Jacklyn Tucker, 11, said she fell off the couch in her sleep. When she looked up, she saw the family dog, Tanker, growling at her.

"I just laid there, and I closed my eyes, hoping the dog would just go away," Tucker said, according to the Palm Beach Post.

Instead, the Jack Russell terrier-English bulldog cross lunged at Tucker's face, tearing off three-quarters of her upper lip and part of her nose.

Doctors at St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach tried to reattach the piece of severed skin, which was picked up by the dog's owner and given to paramedics. But because of blood vessel damage, the patch of skin quickly turned grey and died.

"We had to remove the dead tissue," said Dr. Drew Schnitt, a plastic and craniofacial surgeon at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital in Hollywood, Fla., where Tucker was transferred for special surgery. "At that point, we were basically looking at teeth and gums."

Schnitt and fellow plastic surgeon Dr. Christopher Brooks decided the best way to repair the gaping wound was to borrow tissue from Tucker's bottom lip.

"It's called a lip switch," said Schnitt, describing the procedure to take a wedge from the lower lip, flip it upside down and insert it into the upper lip.

The lip switch allowed Schnitt and Brooks to take advantage of Tucker's lip color and texture.

"That's the beauty of using that local tissue," said Schnitt. "It gives a much better chance of normal anatomical function and normal appearance."

Schnitt then used skin from Tucker's chin to reconstruct part of her nose damaged by the bite.

"I think it was very successful," he said.

Tucker, who lives with her father in Royal Palm Beach, was released from the hospital Saturday. But her mouth is currently sewn shut because the wedge of skin used to reconstruct her upper lip is still connected to blood vessels in her lower lip, Schnitt said.

"In two to three weeks, new blood vessels will grow into the tissue," he said. "Then she'll come back in for a separation procedure."

In the meantime, Tucker's family and friends are rallying to raise money to offset her mounting medical costs.

"Before the second round of surgery, the bill was already over $70,000," said Jennifer Calderon, a family friend helping to organize a July 26 fundraiser. "Her dad had to leave his job to take care of her."

Tanker the dog was surrendered to Animal Care and Control, according to local reports. He will likely be euthanized.

Despite her injuries, Tucker has no hard feelings toward the dog's owners.

"She doesn't want anybody to be mad at her friend," said Calderon. "This was the dog's faul
t."

The Following User Says Thank You to Brometheus For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865
Re: Florida Girl's Lip Reconstructed After Dog Bite

im guessing the one on the left is the "after"..

Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Sandbwoy
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:445
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1471

Jack Russell Terriers, though small, can be extremely vicious. I know the dog in this newspiece was crossed with an English Bulldog, but out of those 2 breeds I'd say the Jack Russell is the most vicious.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbwoy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2012, 07:59 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524

Luckily, she is healing well :)

Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 AM
Shelbeano ^-^
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:648
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post
im guessing the one on the left is the "after"..
I think the one on the right is the after. In the article, it states that they took part of her bottom lip, flipped it upside down, attached it to her top lip, and sewed her mouth shut. That is clearly seen in the picture on the right. Also, they took a bit of skin from her chin for her nose, which is also visible in picture number 2. The third thing is that there is a scar on her right cheek matching where stitches are in the picture on the left.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Be interesting to see what it looks like in a few months

The Following User Says Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
lkduke3
Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 PM
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:163
Female

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6033

Flipping Jack Russells. They are vicious little bastards and should be banned. Ferocious ankle biters. AND face biters too now. Give me a pitbull or any other BIG dog any day.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 401

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61141

I would never allow a "stranger" sleeping in the same room as my dog as dogs can be very protective about their territory.

She fell off the couch so maybe she fell partially on the dog or the dog heard the noise and assumed, in the dark, there was an intruder.

Dog didn't bite her numerous times so prolly a scare or defend reaction.

When i used to touch my dog when it was asleep the first reaction was a biting motion backwards to where it got touched.

so i blame the dog owner.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
dogcel.jpg  

dogcell.jpg