Poster Rank:124

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123
Firefighter Refused 911 Call

Can Not Do This!!!!!!!:2gunsf iring_v1: We can't ever refuse a call...just like we can't refuse patient care to ANYONE

Firefighter Refused Call to Tucson Shooting

Updated: Thursday, 17 Feb 2011, 8:44 PM CST
Published : Thursday, 17 Feb 2011, 8:44 PM CST

(NewsCore) - A Tucson firefighter refused to respond to a 911 call to the Jan. 8 shooting spree that left six people dead and 14 injured, including Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, the Arizona Daily Star reported Thursday.

Mark Ekstrum, who was part of a team trained to deal with major emergencies, quit the force two days later as management was investigating possible disciplinary action against him.

According to a memo obtained by the Daily Star, Tucson Fire Department Capt. Ben Williams said Ekstrum told him he would not go on the call.

"He mentioned something about 'political bantering' and he did not want to be part of it," the memo stated.

Williams wrote that Ekstrum "started to say something about how he had a much different political viewpoint than the rest of the crew and he was concerned."

Ekstrum then informed Williams he was going home sick and the crew attended the scene without him.

The shooting took place at a political event hosted by Giffords (D-Ariz.).

The congresswoman was shot in the head at point-blank range and is currently undergoing rehabilitation at a facility in Houston. The accused gunman, Jared Lee Loughner, is before the courts.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:18 AM
TheHag
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:242
formerly male

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3613
Re: Firefighter Refused 911 Call

That is the dumbest excuse for not going on a fucking call....

Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 AM
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:276

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3029

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHag View Post
That is the dumbest excuse for not going on a fucking call....
Yeah but how did that girl manage to fit that huge ass in that tiny skirt-that's all I wanna know

Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 AM
becca320
Offline:
Fuck that shit
Poster Rank:241
female

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3642

Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 AM
dooshman
Offline:
*Born Retard*
Poster Rank:58
Dude

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16098

Firefighters are civil servants. We pay their salaries, and in turn, they provide a service for us. These guys and gals MUST risk their lives to save others in time of peril. It is unconditional. They must not be swayed by politics, culture, gender, religion, or race.

This dude definitely failed at his job.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:17 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

Firefighter Refused to Respond to Tucson Shooting
Caused responding crew to be delayed

Updated: Friday, 18 Feb 2011, 1:11 PM CST
Published : Friday, 18 Feb 2011, 10:07 AM CST

TUCSON, Ariz. - A firefighter refused to respond to the 911 call from the mass shootings in Tucson where six people were killed and 13 were injured, according to information released Friday by a Tucson newspaper.

The Arizona Daily Star was able to obtain internal fire department memos that say Mark Ekstrum refused go on the call after he mentioned something about “political bantering,” and said he “did not want to be part of it.”

The memos say Ekstrum started to say something about how he had a much different political viewpoint than the rest of the crew, and he was concerned. Ekstrum then said he was going home sick.

Fire crews said because of his decision, they had to pick up a replacement firefighter at another station, which delayed their response to the shooting.

Ekstrum quit the force two days later as the department was figuring out how to punish him.

He had been in the force for nearly 30 years.

The newspaper said it could not find any record of Ekstrum ever even voting in an election.

He has since written a letter saying he refused to go to the mass shootings because he was distraught over how the event would affect our country.

Ekstrum's Statement:
"I was distracted to the point of not being able to perform my routine station duties to such an extent that I seriously doubted my ability to focus on an emergency call."

That's right. We don't refuse patient care ever. EVER. I'm pissed about this whole story. People already try to look through what EMS and FD do with a fine tooth comb......this is going to make it so much worse