Quoted: 6778 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
7/11 ssss13683
Re: Fireball Fills West Virginia Sky After Oil Train Derailing Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Poo View Post
Playing devils advocate, I'd have to say if an underground pipeline pushing millions of gallons of oil were to burst it would cause much more damage than a tanker spill on top of the soil.. I would imagine at least.
The fact it pushes millions of gallons is irrelevant. Because it would have many valves that can be turned off, so if it did break, they would just turn it off.
I agree with Rob, Canada should just refine it themselves. But since they aren't, a underground pipeline certainly is safer, cheaper, and creates less pollution.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:06 PM
spudigitti
Offline:
His Royal Highness
Poster Rank:70
male

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
19/20 5/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss13434

was it hot
did it melt the snow

Old 02-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Mr Poo
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:122

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4489 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
The fact it pushes millions of gallons is irrelevant. Because it would have many valves that can be turned off, so if it did break, they would just turn it off.
I agree with Rob, Canada should just refine it themselves. But since they aren't, a underground pipeline certainly is safer, cheaper, and creates less pollution.
I understand the concept of how a pipeline works. Although it may be shut off in the case of a leak, that oil leaking underground into the water table might pose a greater risk than an oil tanker spill or explosion.

The reason Canada doesn't refine their own oil is basic economic principle. The amount of capital it would take to invest in refineries is greater than the return on investment. From fluctuations in price to a future not necessarily reliant on oil they would be losing money in the long run if they tried doing that.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:16 PM
rapeWhistle
Offline:
Hand of the King
Poster Rank:15
Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 21666 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss40959

Quote:
I understand the concept of how a pipeline works. Although it may be shut off in the case of a leak, that oil leaking underground into the water table might pose a greater risk than an oil tanker spill or explosion.

The reason Canada doesn't refine their own oil is basic economic principle. The amount of capital it would take to invest in refineries is greater than the return on investment. From fluctuations in price to a future not necessarily reliant on oil they would be losing money in the long run if they tried doing that.
Water table?

They aren't that deep; not sure how deep they're planning on doing the XL, but most around here have 5-12 feet of cover so that excavation and decontamination are fairly simple in the event of a rupture.
Pipelines are ultimately safer, more efficient, and less hazardous to the environment - that's why they're the preferred method of transport - better for the bottom line.

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeWhistle View Post
Yeah, i'm still hustling, trying to get another Operator job.
I'm on the construction end....... Everybody up here is in panic mode, sky is falling
My bet is 6 months from now everything is back in track.
The big facilities up here are 50 year projects, once they start building them they're not going to stop halfway because oil took a temporary dip.

If you want to try the cold see if you can land a gig up here, there's huge demand for operators and it's usually $40 hr+......... Not unusual for guys to make $150k with the overtime.

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
rapeWhistle
Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:

Maybe to some degree, but considering some estimates put the reserves in the oil sands at 2 trillion barrels....... And huge, huge areas offshore and in the arctic that haven't been explored yet besides that it might be worth it IMHO.

If keystone doesn't go, they're going to send it east in an existing pipeline and west to the pacific coast, where it'll likely wind up in Asia....... The amount of investment in our resources in the last 15 years is incredible, and what they have planned is huge.
We have this great big land mass with about 30 million people on it, most of the north is unexplored...... We are a resource superpower.

Please don't invade us

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, rapeWhistle
Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Mr Poo
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:122

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4489 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

Quote:
Water table?

They aren't that deep; not sure how deep they're planning on doing the XL, but most around here have 5-12 feet of cover so that excavation and decontamination are fairly simple in the event of a rupture.
Pipelines are ultimately safer, more efficient, and less hazardous to the environment - that's why they're the preferred method of transport - better for the bottom line.
That's good to know for piece of mind.. Yeah they do seem to have just a fewwwww other pipelines already built.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Poo For This Useful Post:
rapeWhistle
Old 02-18-2015, 10:35 PM
rapeWhistle
Offline:
Hand of the King
Poster Rank:15
Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 21666 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss40959

Quote:
That's good to know for piece of mind.. Yeah they do seem to have just a fewwwww other pipelines already built.

Right?

I really don't see what the deal is with the XL.

Seems like something nobody would give a shit about until it became politicized(not sure when that was exactly). I just know articles started popping up on facebook from my uber-left wing people saying it was going to bring about the Apocalypse and right-wing, redneck types saying hippies were trying to stop it and "take'r'jerbs".

I'm not really worried about it.

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rapeWhistle For This Useful Post:
Mr Poo, rob666
Old 02-21-2015, 01:03 PM
b0g
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:713
transgender

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss740

sorry to bump but these photo's of the aftermath are great and sobering atst
EXCLUSIVE: Aerial Photos Of Monday’s West Virginia Train Crash Show Scope Of Devastation
http://www.pixable.com/article/west-...k-photos-83832

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b0g For This Useful Post:
kellyhound, rapeWhistle
Old 02-21-2015, 02:56 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Right?

I really don't see what the deal is with the XL.

Seems like something nobody would give a shit about until it became politicized(not sure when that was exactly). I just know articles started popping up on facebook from my uber-left wing people saying it was going to bring about the Apocalypse and right-wing, redneck types saying hippies were trying to stop it and "take'r'jerbs".

I'm not really worried about it.
IMHO the biggest reason it's an issue is because of the source it's no worse than fracking IMHO.

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
rapeWhistle