Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss279
Finding Historical Records

Anybody any good at it? I have been researching an old workhouse, then it was an institution for females with mental problems. It's in somerset, uk. It was the frome workhouse then called Weymouth house, then selwood hospital. What I am really interested In are medical records of the hospital. I found loads about the workhouse, even newspapers from the 1800's including suicides there. Any help really appreciated

Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Arkoquisa
Offline:
King of East Texas
Poster Rank:272
XY
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3066
Re: Finding Historical Records

med records i'm not sure, but i am a historian and LOVE to archive dig. Go check online, many sources are digitized these days, other than that read every footnote/endnote and bibliography then follow names mentioned. I had to learn spanish for my topic, and most of what i need is in Mexico or Spain, it's all about data mining and following who was looking at the same things before you so look for those specific in your field. If your in college take advantage of your advisers, my adviser was amazing.

good luck, and aren't old news papers amazing, they way people wrote back in the 1800's one has to have actual control of the language they speak to read them. Best part is that there were no PC police back then and people were far more honest in their approach to topics. I had to change lots of things i wrote about in college, you know how many times i was told not to use the word 'negro'.

Does the UK have some kind of state or royal archives? check there most sources of official contents usually end up there, the ones that i need are at big name colleges, like the UNAM, or the national archives in Mexico city and Madrid

The Following User Says Thank You to Arkoquisa For This Useful Post:
lkduke3
Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 AM
MissBehave
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1309
Female

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss279

hiya, I managed to find the cencus records of when it was a victorian workhouse. They called inmates things like imbocile, idiot etc lol! I have found out a fair bit now, would anybody like to see the info I found? My house was an asylum after the workhouse and my neighbour used to work here, our two houses and the one on the end housed the extremely violent patients. She said they were really nasty. I also discovered they found big cages when they renovated it all and my other neighbour said some builders refused to work here! There was also a priest called out about 20 years ago to clear the place

Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Gh007
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:407
Male

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1747

My grandparents own a property that was a civil war hospital here in the States. I was able to to a thorough historical work up for my family.. If you can give me an address I can try to look up what I can or point you in some directions that could help you learn more.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 AM
Arkoquisa
Offline:
King of East Texas
Poster Rank:272
XY
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3066

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBehave View Post
hiya, I managed to find the cencus records of when it was a victorian workhouse. They called inmates things like imbocile, idiot etc lol! I have found out a fair bit now, would anybody like to see the info I found? My house was an asylum after the workhouse and my neighbour used to work here, our two houses and the one on the end housed the extremely violent patients. She said they were really nasty. I also discovered they found big cages when they renovated it all and my other neighbour said some builders refused to work here! There was also a priest called out about 20 years ago to clear the place
bring outs the info, sounds like a good read