5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526
Fifty Years Ago, Smoking Became Bad

msn.com

January 10, 2014
AP Online Video

http://news.msn.com/videos/?videoid=...0339b0&ap=True

In January, 1964, the US Surgeon General issued the first government report linking smoking to disease and death. It ushered in an era of regulation that fifty years later has helped to cut the smoking rate for American adults by more than half.
most viewed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Megamel29, rob666
Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: Fifty Years Ago, Smoking Became Bad

And never even acknowledged by the Tobacco Industry until the
'90s wasn't it?
The whole issue of Tobacco really showed me the power of big business, and how many people are willing to sell their ethics to make a buck.... The Tobacco lobby had Politicians and Scientists willing to lie and say that smoking wasn't harmful, all for a few bucks.
All they needed to do was pay a few scientists to say it wasn't harmful, to make it look like there was a open debate in the scientific community and nothing was certain..... The same strategy being used now by Big Oil, and others that deny Global warming and profit from fossil fuels.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Megamel29
Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

I think tobacco and liquor were gifts to the US from the Native Americans for us taking their land, but, that's just a thought.

As a person with breathing issues, I'm glad smoking is banned. I always believed it should only be allowed in cemetaries and private homes with the windows closed.

I like the car windows closed while smoking, too. We can smell it and it is an irritant!

It pisses me off on a hot, humid day to see smokers or them shivering outside in the cold while I'm glad I can breathe to make it from the car to the building. I need the air conditioning and the wind is bad for asthmatics, too.

I think if children want to smoke when they are 18, they should decide, not be forced to inhale from adults. I think I have breathing issues because my father smoked until my mother got pregnant with me.

For smokers, they don't know the other side. If I have friends who smoke, I will park the car and let them get out, if need be, so we can all get along, and I do appreciate the courtesy of people asking if smoking bothers me, and anyone else.

I also believe cancer in children is due to something the parents did or didn't do. Those babies didn't ask to be born sick!

When I watch the old black and white shows and movies, every one smoked, drank and had fresh coffee, even if you woke them up at 3 AM, lol! They also appear 20 or so years older than their stated ages.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
moonleya, rob666
Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 PM
Shadedwill
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:250
Male (evidently surprisingly)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3421

My mom died of lung cancer. She didnt smoke but her parents smoked a couple packs a day each while she was growing up. Figured that may have something to do with it..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadedwill For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, rob666
Old 01-10-2014, 11:40 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadedwill View Post
My mom died of lung cancer. She didnt smoke but her parents smoked a couple packs a day each while she was growing up. Figured that may have something to do with it..
I'm sorry for your loss <3

All three of my brothers died from various stages of alcohol or alcohol-related issues with and without other drugs. My father had diabetes, Parkinson's and dementia and was the shell of the man he once was. Just mom and me now.

My paternal grandfather always had at least an inch of ash hanging from his cigarette, which was hanging out of his mouth all the time.

A few of my aunts and their husbands/boyfriends smoked, a lot of my cousins smoked, they all drank and the cousins did all kinds of drugs.

I am not a big drinker and haven't had anything for two years or so since being diagnosed diabetic. I tried meth for medicinal purposes because I wanted certain cheekbones, which I finally realized, I would never get, and would rather keep my nose and teeth.

Meth and champagne with Chambord...

I think there is a connection in some people, but, like legal drugs, what is good for one of us will kill the next person...

I prefer not to be around it though. Seeing babies with asthma makes my heart ache. Seeing them sick with anything hurts me

If you need to talk, please feel free to PM me. I'm watching, "Grimm", now, then the news, but, I'll be back. I am in EST and am on late night/early morning, my time :)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
gatagato, JONESJIM, Megamel29, Shadedwill
Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 AM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

I used to smoke regularly. I still have maybe 1 a month or less, its kind of a treat if I'm having a particularly stressful day or whatnot.
I haven't bought a pack in about 10 years, haven't smoked more than 1 a month in that time either.
I smoked for about 10-12 years though regularly. It really messed my lungs up, and I'm scared of the damage I've done to my body.

Its a hell of a thing to quit. It's made me sympathetic to the plight of someone going through any kind of addiction, I can't imagine how bad heroin or meth addiction must be.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, invertigo, Megamel29
Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Shakey
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:18
MAN

Mentioned: 448 Post(s)
Quoted: 21484 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37777

Stupid habit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shakey For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 01-13-2014, 07:39 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
I used to smoke regularly. I still have maybe 1 a month or less, its kind of a treat if I'm having a particularly stressful day or whatnot.
I haven't bought a pack in about 10 years, haven't smoked more than 1 a month in that time either.
I smoked for about 10-12 years though regularly. It really messed my lungs up, and I'm scared of the damage I've done to my body.

Its a hell of a thing to quit. It's made me sympathetic to the plight of someone going through any kind of addiction, I can't imagine how bad heroin or meth addiction must be.
Congratulations! And good luck

I have no doubt it's not easy.

I have seen those who only smoke when they drink. There must be a connection with some in that area, too.

We had a balcony collapse over the weekend here. It was all the smokers standing outside

Old 01-14-2014, 12:47 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
Meth and champagne with Chambord...
You so fancy.

I smoke. Terrible habit I know. I average about 2 a day, unless I'm hanging out and drinking. I don't know what it is either about drinking and smoking. I don't smoke around kids or in my car if I have a passenger. And I only smoke outside. I would never even think of lighting up in someone's house unless they smoke there, and I would ask first anyway. I think most of the time I just do it because I'm bored.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
You so fancy.

I had more money then, lol!

I cannot tell you last time I had either

The drink is called a Kir Royale, and was suggested by a bartender at The Four Seasons, at a Christmas party. He put a cherry in it for more color.

All the women started drinking them that night :)

I also had great natural nails then, which were red to match my dress, so it matched well.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Megamel29