Quoted: 4489 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173
Re: Ferguson Lesson: Police Can Better Calm Situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbid75 View Post
I think the real lesson is police can do better by not starting situations. Do not mistake abuse of authority by using authority. Police are in a position of authority. With it comes great responsibility and the knowledge to use it wisely. You can avert situations by having a command presence or making it known you will take no shit by how you carry yourself. You do not have to be aggressive, rude or even mean just have the body language you mean business. This is not taught in rookie school and comes for some later and some never get it. But it is effective in doing an extremely difficult job, protecting yourself but also finding compassion and understanding for others. There are a lot of people who probably should not be cops because they cover their weakness and lack of command presence with aggression that escalates situations. While we are on this subject I wanted to add that the race problem the media is hyping is more of a class issue. Yes there are more black people arrested and in jail but most of them are guilty and poor. This is NOT the 40's, 50's and 60's where atrocities were committed and sanctioned against black people because of their race. There are more opportunities for minority racial groups to succeed as far as in school, jobs, etc. Although these demonstrations are meant to I
highlight a social problem they only really are looking at the spurious correlation of race and police brutality, imprisonment and violence. The real cause is class or specifically poverty where there still is a gap between minority groups as far as numbers living in poverty. But the poor black or white get arrested more and serve more time. Notice during these 'demonstrations' the upper class black folk are not there-except the politicians who need votes. They are not there because they do not identify with it. They got ahead. Lest we forget OJ. He may be in jail now but he used his wealth to get him off. Again with the class variable. Had he been poor he would have never gotten off. So my point is this is not a race issue it comes down to money and pretige. So Obama is an activist - great. But would he let his daughters date someone like Michael Brown? Of course not as he was a poor gangster. Class matters more than race.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Mr Poo
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:122

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4489 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173
Re: Ferguson Lesson: Police Can Better Calm Situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
Is that the lesson?

Like I said. Try and prove the system is broken, and the authority is wrong. No justice No peace.

I suppose justice is what they say it is.
It's the lesson the author of the article felt was learned, as well as numerous police departments..