Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913
Father Charged With Felony Murder in Son's Heat-Stroke Vehicle Death

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=24258412

A Georgia father has been charged with felony murder in the death of his 22-month-old son after the boy was left inside a mini-SUV for hours on a sweltering day.

The man’s family claims it was an honest and tragic mistake. But police disagree – and Justin Ross Harris, 33, now faces heightened charges in Cooper’s heat stroke death, a case that has drawn outrage from people who believe the man has already suffered enough.

Harris buckled his son Cooper into his car seat Wednesday before heading to his job as a Web developer at a Home Depot corporate office near Atlanta. On the way, Harris was supposed to drop off his son at daycare.

He never did.

The temperature outside reached 92 degrees by noon.

Hours passed. As Harris was driving home for the night, he noticed his son still in the backseat and pulled into a shopping center parking lot. Witnesses say he rushed to try to save Cooper.

“He kept saying, ‘What have I done? What have I done,’” witness Dale Hamilton told ABC affiliate station WSB-TV. “He laid his son on the ground and started doing CPR, trying to resuscitate him. Apparently, the child wasn’t responding.”

After searching Harris’s office, police arrested the grieving father and charged him with felony murder and child endangerment.

“Until we more or less run out, a lot of the information that we are having to track down, right now these charges will stand,” Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce said.

The arrest has caused outrage, with some saying the father simply made a mistake, although others agree with police. Supporters have raised more than $18,000 for his defense.

“The justice system can’t punish Ross worse than he is punishing himself,” one commenter wrote.

“It will only cause more pain for a grieving family,” another wrote.

An average of 38 children die across the United States annually after being left in a hot car, with 44 deaths reported nationally last year, according to kidsandcars.org, a national nonprofit devoted to vehicle safety. In Atlanta, more than 22 children have died this way since 1990.

Public safety advocates say these are usually accidents and happen to the most loving and protective parents of every color and socioeconomic background.

Cooper’s death marked the second vehicle heat stroke death involving a child last week. A Florida man, Steven Lillie, faces aggravated manslaughter charges in the June 16 death of his 9-month-old daughter, Anna Marie.

In Harris’ case, police feel strongly about the murder charge, ABC’s Chief Legal Affairs Anchor Dan Abrams said.

“We don’t know exactly what evidence they have, but they’ve executed a search warrant. And it’s not uncommon for computer-related searches to yield information,” Abrams said. “Whatever the evidence is, the authorities believed it warranted bringing charges very quickly.”

Attached Images

Thread Contributions
murderer2.jpg  

babyseat.jpg  

Contributors to this thread: diamondsmiles (118)
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, Bastet, Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, gatagato, invertigo, kellyhound, Kelseecat65, nanigodsmum, Olivia, ousoonerchic, Paupercool1, Pyramid_Head
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 AM
Nite
Offline:
Retarded Genius
Poster Rank:3

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Quoted: 16108 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
12/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss88589
Re: Father Charged With Felony Murder in Son's Heat-Stroke Vehicle Death

Do you know what car makers should install? A sensor in the rear seats based on the weight of the child that if the internal temperature reaches a certain level the adjacent window lowers enough to provide airflow. It really wouldn't be that difficult.
Look at that car, it's clearly designed to accommodate children

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nite For This Useful Post:
Amy, corpsehands, Darkest Angel, GG57, GranTrevino, Kanda444, Paupercool1, Sterlig, tbone79
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 AM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

How much of a fucking idiot do you have to be to lose track of your child when they're sitting in the same vehicle as you?

Remember when Anton LaVey said, "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful"? Sometimes it is.

In other words: Fuck this guy.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
Amy, Azimuth, Darkest Angel, Desensitisation, diamondsmiles, kellyhound, Kelseecat65, Marty666, Olivia, Paupercool1, Pyramid_Head, Raevynn, Shadedwill, St. Geno, Stalker420, Sterlig, swheaton, tbone79
Old 06-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

There is speculation that the baby was dead before the dad left for work and this is just a cover up. Kids die from being left in cars every year. I want to know what the autopsy says and what the police found that was 'chilling'.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
Amy, Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, invertigo, kellyhound, lkduke3, Olivia, Paupercool1, Sterlig, tbone79
Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 PM
spycosis
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:683
XY

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss783

The only realistic thing I can think of that could be construed as evidence would be frequent internet searches on his computer related to death by heat asphyxiation and suchlike.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spycosis For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, Marty666, Olivia, Paupercool1, rapeWhistle, Sterlig
Old 06-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by spycosis View Post
The only realistic thing I can think of that could be construed as evidence would be frequent internet searches on his computer related to death by heat asphyxiation and suchlike.
Or maybe some obvious trauma to the body that would indicate the baby didn't die of heat stroke?

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 06-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss12566

Even if his story is true, he deserves life in prison.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 AM
SouthrnHunnix420
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2473

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss106

Idk ive had a gut feeling that this wasnt an "accident" since the story first broke. They obviously have some type or evidence that they think its important and serious enough to warrant being held with no bond AND such a serious charge. I always wondered why so often people believed that all these deaths from leaving kids in the car are accidents... I can totally see a parent who doesn't want their kid anymore hearing about these deaths and seeing the miniscule, if any, punishment received and deciding to do it as well. Makes sense to me but then again maybe I'm just cynical.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SouthrnHunnix420 For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, GG57, kellyhound, Paupercool1, Sterlig, tootsieflowrslave
Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 PM
cubenesis
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3242

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Do you know what car makers should install? A sensor in the rear seats based on the weight of the child that if the internal temperature reaches a certain level the adjacent window lowers enough to provide airflow. It really wouldn't be that difficult.
Look at that car, it's clearly designed to accommodate children
You literally wouldnt be able to store anything on the back seat, why is there a need for an invention like this? We shouldnt need to invent things to prevent people from letting their offspring die. People need to stop being retarded, and in this case nothing could have really prevented this guy from killing his child (if that is the case)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cubenesis For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, invertigo, Kelseecat65, Sterlig, tootsieflowrslave
The Following Users Disliked This Post By cubenesis:
GranTrevino
Old 06-25-2014, 07:06 PM
30564U
Offline:
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Uh...murder or homicide is always a felony. There's no such think as felony murder...it's just murder. It's like saying he killed him dead.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Kanda444, Stalker420, Sterlig