Go Back  

Family Sues For $18 Million Over Meme 

Current Rating:

View Poll Results: What best describes your attitude over Adam Hollands family lawsuit
The use of the word 'retard' is archaic and offensive- I agree with this lawsuit 4 11.76%
The word 'retard' is archaic and offensive- but you can't sue over a meme 11 32.35%
This kind of censorship is absurd, I hope they get laughed out of court 9 26.47%
I don't care either way 3 8.82%
Fuck these whiney cocksuckers 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Join NowJoin Now

Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3275
Family Sues For $18 Million Over Meme

The Adam Holland Lawsuit: Family Of Man With Down Syndrome Sue For $18 Million After Photo Sparks Meme

Quote:
The family of a Tennessee man with Down syndrome was devastated when they discovered a photo of their disabled son had spawned a derogatory Internet meme. So to quash the widespread use of the altered image and -- hopefully -- help others who may be subjected to the offense in the future, Adam Holland's family filed a $18 million lawsuit last week.

The photo of a teenage Holland holding up a piece of his artwork during a class at the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center in 2004 did not make waves until last year, when modified versions of the image that included defamatory messages popped up on numerous websites.

"It was devastating for this family, emotionally," Larry Crain, the attorney who represents the Hollands, told Nashville's WSMV-TV. "He's a very likable, very presentable young man who I don't think fully appreciates the hurt that's been inflicted on him."

Though the family is not aware of exactly how the photo sparked the meme nearly a decade later, the Hollands pinpointed several sites, including the website of Florida radio station WHPT-FM, that allegedly repurposed the photo.

Having filed the defamation suit in a Tennessee U.S. District Court on April 22, the Hollands seek from three parties $3 million in compensatory damages and $3 million in punitive damages, amounting to $18 million in total.

Whether the Holland family's lawsuit triumphs or not, advocacy groups are campaigning to ban the widespread use of messages that are offensive to people with special needs.

"Spread the Word to End the Word," a collaboration between the Special Olympics and Best Buddies that launched in 2009 to ban the word "retard," seeks to spread awareness of the "dehumanizing and hurtful effects" of the so-called "r-word." As ABC News reports, the group got involved in the Holland's case over the summer, contacting the Florida radio station about the altered photo, which featured Holland holding a sign that read "Retarded News." In response, Program Director Michael Sharkey apologized in an email to the campaign, adding that the image had been removed.

"The segment 'Retarded News' is designed to highlight odd stories that are seemingly always in the news," he explained, according to the lawsuit. "These stories are NOT about disabled individuals. However, in our investigation, we noted the picture that he was using did denote a person with Down syndrome."

Woodrow Hartzog, an assistant professor at Alabama's Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, said cases like Holland's -- which involve an image being repurposed as a meme -- raise a host of legal questions and are "very difficult."

"The torts that traditionally protected individuals against harmful use of depictions and photos are largely ineffective today,” Hartzog told Nashville's The City Paper. "They are really difficult to win at trial because it’s hard to prove things like damages -- and the First Amendment has really pulled back on the scope of many of these torts."

Wow... Just, wow. Sueing over meme's

If this man doesn't understand the 'hurt' that's been inflicted on him, maybe it's because he isn't hurt- his family is just indignant, and everyone has to pay for it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ef=mostpopular

EPIC_FAIL, icheerthebull, Impotent Rage, kellyhound, Megamel29, Pyramid_Head, sherrimccharles
Old 05-01-2013, 02:32 PM
icheerthebull
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:290
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2802
Re: Family Sues For $18 Million Over Meme

never seen that meme

America is just the country that shows how all the written guarantees in the world for freedom are no protection against tyranny and oppression of the worst kind. There the politician has come to be looked upon as the very scum of society - Peter Kropotkin
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to icheerthebull For This Useful Post:
alpha.first.one, K9Grip, myss)(phit, turkiller
Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

I wonder if they realise that now it's been on the news it will now be used and altered even more.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
invertigo, K9Grip
Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

They just want money.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
EPIC_FAIL, K9Grip, kellyhound, Megamel29
Old 05-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Unless this meme made money for someone, the family shouldn't be allowed to sue. Since when did it become a crime to hurt someone's feelings? Also, if this young man doesn't realize how hurt he should feel, his family seems determined to make him realize it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
invertigo, juliemd, K9Grip
Old 05-01-2013, 04:42 PM
juliemd
Offline:
Hey, Ass-butt!
Poster Rank:376
female

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1921

who exactly are they going to sue? the whole freaking internet? I have never seen that particular meme, but I have seen another one with a special needs guy in it.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Only found these when searching:

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
lMiIE3x.jpg  

8642a64353cdd70679a695455fdc4abc.jpg  

tumblr_ltv3hfMvsm1qhh3bco1_500.jpg  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
invertigo, K9Grip, Kanda444, Megamel29
Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 412

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss61159

pathetic way to gain money not too mention it's hard to proof they were devestated etc.
b.s.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 AM
pbaj12
Offline:
Captain of a Sinking Ship
Poster Rank:887
Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss523

Never seen it till now. I think they should attempt to sue the entire interwebz

If I was retarded..I'd rather someone say..oh that guy's retarded but he's cool..instead of there's the mentally handicapped or special needs guy. But I'm not someone that cries softly at night because I can't take someone calling me something they think is offensive.
If people tried to be cool instead of ashamed with whatever people thought of them, life would be a lot easier. If you make fun of yourself about something before others can, it's not a big deal and people will like you more in my opinion.
If this guy like 10 years later made a similar picture holding a sign saying something like, "Round 2" I would think he's cool as hell.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaj12 View Post
Never seen it till now. I think they should attempt to sue the entire interwebz

If I was retarded..I'd rather someone say..oh that guy's retarded but he's cool..instead of there's the mentally handicapped or special needs guy. But I'm not someone that cries softly at night because I can't take someone calling me something they think is offensive.
If people tried to be cool instead of ashamed with whatever people thought of them, life would be a lot easier. If you make fun of yourself about something before others can, it's not a big deal and people will like you more in my opinion.
If this guy like 10 years later made a similar picture holding a sign saying something like, "Round 2" I would think he's cool as hell.
As far as I can tell, Adam himself really doesn't have a problem with it, in fact I think he might be a tad bit proud of sparking a meme, derogatory or not. His relatives are the ones with proverbial stick up their asses.

Megamel29, pbaj12