Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913
Family Awarded $90 Mil After Kid is Hit by Car

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/04...ash-87520.html

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. (AP) - A Prince George's County jury has awarded $90 million to the family of a 13-year-old girl who died after being struck by a car in as she tried to cross the street to reach her bus stop.
Continue reading
The family of Ashley Davis sued the Prince George's County Board of Education after she died of her injuries from the Sept. 1, 2009 crash. An attorney for Davis's parents, John Costello, argued that the school system did not provide safe and adequate transportation.
The Washington Post reports a six-member jury handed down the wrongful death verdict this month. Costello says he expects the school system to appeal.
School system spokesman Briant Coleman said he could not comment on the case because it is pending.

********Update provided by DiamondSmiles
By GABRIELLE LEVY, UPI.com

A jury awarded $90 million the family of Ashley Davis, who was 13 when she was hit by a car and killed in 2009.

The Davis family sued the Prince George's County, (Maryland), Board of Education after Ashley was hit by a Lincoln Continental while crossing the street to get to the bus stop.

The car went on to strike a minivan and a 17-year-old boy.

The lawsuit said the school district was negligent, failing to provide safe transportation to school, NBC Washington reported..

"The policy was they were going to pick up Ashley on her own side of the street," said Davis family lawyer John Costello. "They never did. They forced her to cross the street. She got killed crossing the street."

“If she didn’t have to cross the street … she’d be graduating this year,” said Nycole Davis, Ashley's mother. “She’d be going to prom this year.”

Nycole Davis said she didn't expect anywhere near the amount awarded by the jury -- for damages, medical expenses and funeral costs -- but since there are caps on certain cases against school systems and municipalities at $100,000, more legal action is expected before a payout is made.

“I didn’t ask anyone to give me any money or anything like that,” Nycole Davis said. “I just want someone held responsible for what happened to my daughter.

**After Teen’s Death, Family Awarded $90M In Wrongful Death Su

April 17, 2013

A Virginia family has been awarded $90 million in a wrongful death suit, four years after their teenage daughter was killed in a pedestrian car accident.

The jury award stems from a tragic incident in September of 2009, during which 13-year-old Ashley Davis was struck and killed by a Lincoln Continental while her classmates watched in horror.

After the vehicle hit Davis, it careened into another vehicle, a van, as well as a 17-year-old boy, who survived the accident. Ashley initially survived as well, but two weeks after the incident, she succumbed to her injuries and died at a local hospital.

Davis’ family was awarded the $90M this year, a bittersweet legal victory on what would be the year she graduated. Ashley was a freshman at Crossland High School in Prince George’s County when she died, and was slated to be a senior this year.

Local news sources report that after the accident for which the family was awarded $90M, the Davis family sued the Prince George’s County School Board for negligence leading to the girl’s death. John Costello, the Davis family lawyer, explained why:

“The school board was negligent … They had adopted a policy to provide for safe transportation. The policy was they were going to pick up Ashley on her own side of the street. They never did. They forced her to cross the street. She got killed crossing the street.”

Nycole Davis, Ashley’s mom, said of the accident that claimed her daughter’s life:

“She was on her way … She was doing the right thing. She was going to school. She was a good girl. She didn’t deserve this … If she didn’t have to cross the street … she’d be graduating this year. She’d be going to prom this year.”

While the family was awarded $90M, Davis explains that the suit was, for Ashley’s family members, not about money:

“I didn’t ask anyone to give me any money or anything like that. I just want someone held responsible for what happened to my daughter.”

Thread Contributions
ashley.jpg  

Contributors to this thread: diamondsmiles (118)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, Wage
Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61178
Re: Family Awarded $90 Mil After Kid is Hit by Car

sure blame the school system and sue ridiculous lawsuits.
a 13 yo should be smart enough to know how to cross the street. Maybe sue her parents for not teaching her how to do that properly.

The Following Users Disliked This Post By kellyhound:
Wage
Old 04-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhound View Post
sure blame the school system and sue ridiculous lawsuits.
a 13 yo should be smart enough to know how to cross the street. Maybe sue her parents for not teaching her how to do that properly.
That's exactly what I was thinking. They say they went after the school board instead of the driver who hit their daughter so they could make the school board make sure bus stops were safe. The real reason, I think, is because the school board has deeper pockets. Think of all the kids that lose out if they actually receive this money.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
dcaccount22, diamondsmiles, kellyhound
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM
juliemd
Offline:
Hey, Ass-butt!
Poster Rank:376
female

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1921

what the hell is wrong with people today?!?!?! instead of going after the person who KILLED your child, you go after the school system..... 90 million dollars drained from education.. What exactly could the bus driver have done besides put out the little stop sign? the child was old enough to look both ways by herself. She just ended up in a bad spot when someone didn't stop for a bus.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juliemd For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Megamel29
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Gaydolf Shitler
Offline:
DETECTIVE JOHN KIMBAL!
Poster Rank:143
cocksack

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 13/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss6912

How the hell does this make anything better?

dcaccount22, diamondsmiles
The Following Users Disliked This Post By Gaydolf Shitler:
Wage
Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Iliketurtles
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:641

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss864

90 mil? lol wut who comes up with these numbers?

The Following User Says Thank You to Iliketurtles For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Smackeddie
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:225
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3913

i sure hope they donate a lot of that back into the education system. who needs $90 mil ?.

The Following User Says Thank You to Smackeddie For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 04-30-2013, 10:47 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemd View Post
what the hell is wrong with people today?!?!?! instead of going after the person who KILLED your child, you go after the school system..... 90 million dollars drained from education.. What exactly could the bus driver have done besides put out the little stop sign? the child was old enough to look both ways by herself. She just ended up in a bad spot when someone didn't stop for a bus.

Remember the woman/asshole who had to hold a sign up for passing a school bus on the sidewalk?

I like that as part of the punishment, but, she's lucky no children were killed.

13 is old enough to know better! I hope she wasn't texting!

Our school buses have flashing blue and red light like police cars and the stop signs, which also have red lights on them.

If you can't see a school bus with no lights, you don't deserve to have a license, or don't drive near schools!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, juliemd, Megamel29
Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

Here is a bit more information. A 17 year old boy was struck, too. It appears to me, the driver of the Lincoln and the van should have been charged. The bus company, if it was true that the girl was supposed to have been picked up on the opposite side of the street, as well.

**By GABRIELLE LEVY, UPI.com

A jury awarded $90 million the family of Ashley Davis, who was 13 when she was hit by a car and killed in 2009.

The Davis family sued the Prince George's County, (Maryland), Board of Education after Ashley was hit by a Lincoln Continental while crossing the street to get to the bus stop.

The car went on to strike a minivan and a 17-year-old boy.

The lawsuit said the school district was negligent, failing to provide safe transportation to school, NBC Washington reported..

"The policy was they were going to pick up Ashley on her own side of the street," said Davis family lawyer John Costello. "They never did. They forced her to cross the street. She got killed crossing the street."

“If she didn’t have to cross the street … she’d be graduating this year,” said Nycole Davis, Ashley's mother. “She’d be going to prom this year.”

Nycole Davis said she didn't expect anywhere near the amount awarded by the jury -- for damages, medical expenses and funeral costs -- but since there are caps on certain cases against school systems and municipalities at $100,000, more legal action is expected before a payout is made.

“I didn’t ask anyone to give me any money or anything like that,” Nycole Davis said. “I just want someone held responsible for what happened to my daughter.

**After Teen’s Death, Family Awarded $90M In Wrongful Death Su

April 17, 2013

A Virginia family has been awarded $90 million in a wrongful death suit, four years after their teenage daughter was killed in a pedestrian car accident.

The jury award stems from a tragic incident in September of 2009, during which 13-year-old Ashley Davis was struck and killed by a Lincoln Continental while her classmates watched in horror.

After the vehicle hit Davis, it careened into another vehicle, a van, as well as a 17-year-old boy, who survived the accident. Ashley initially survived as well, but two weeks after the incident, she succumbed to her injuries and died at a local hospital.

Davis’ family was awarded the $90M this year, a bittersweet legal victory on what would be the year she graduated. Ashley was a freshman at Crossland High School in Prince George’s County when she died, and was slated to be a senior this year.

Local news sources report that after the accident for which the family was awarded $90M, the Davis family sued the Prince George’s County School Board for negligence leading to the girl’s death. John Costello, the Davis family lawyer, explained why:

“The school board was negligent … They had adopted a policy to provide for safe transportation. The policy was they were going to pick up Ashley on her own side of the street. They never did. They forced her to cross the street. She got killed crossing the street.”

Nycole Davis, Ashley’s mom, said of the accident that claimed her daughter’s life:

“She was on her way … She was doing the right thing. She was going to school. She was a good girl. She didn’t deserve this … If she didn’t have to cross the street … she’d be graduating this year. She’d be going to prom this year.”

While the family was awarded $90M, Davis explains that the suit was, for Ashley’s family members, not about money:

“I didn’t ask anyone to give me any money or anything like that. I just want someone held responsible for what happened to my daughter.”

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
bruffed, Megamel29
Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity