Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913
Re: Facility Found for Braindead Calif. Teen on Ventilator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcurious View Post
That's exactly what gets me. I was on that blog last night and also read that pdf. According to that "sloughing of the gut" occurred on Jan. 2. If it's true what I read that a feeding tube has been given to her I can't imagine what that will do with decaying insides. I feel terrible for the mom and family I really do. But if all this is happening they need counseling and will need it worse if they see their poor girl's brains oozing out of her ears.

Yikes. How horrid. I imagine now it's even too late to donate her organs. What a tragic waste. Poor girl.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, Kelseecat65, winvens
Old 01-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

A new article, although it's stuff we already know, but interesting never the less!

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2pvsPN760

While searching for new articles, the Wiki page for Jahi came up.

Jahi is the Avestan language name of Zoroastrianism's demoness of lasciviousness. (lustful or lewd or unruly)
Jahi is variously interpreted as "hussy," and "one who leads a licentious life." Her standard epithet is "the Whore."

Mama should have researched the name first!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
aenko, K9Grip, Megamel29, Morgasmgasm, Pigeon
Old 01-09-2014, 06:12 PM
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1830
Femme Fatale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss172

I find this whole situation incomprehensible. She is slowly rotting away, with fluids leaking out of her ears and nose (allegedly) and they are still insisting that she will awake though some miracle?

They should just let go and bury her with the mere whisker of dignity they have left her with

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mollydoublybarrly For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, Kelseecat65, Megamel29, sbcurious
Old 01-10-2014, 04:04 AM
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3102

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss73

She is doing very well and improving

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/08/health...ate/index.html

CNN) -- Under the care of "optimistic" doctors, Jahi McMath -- whom a judge and other doctors have declared brain-dead, over her family's objections -- is "improving" days after her release from an Oakland, California, hospital, her family's lawyer said.
However, barring a misdiagnosis, medical experts say the teen's condition can't improve if she is truly "brain dead," because there's no way to come back to life once brain activity ceases.
Attorney Chris Dolan detailed some of what's happened to the 13-year-old girl since her release Sunday from Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland. After initially "doing poorly she is stabilizing," he said, adding that the teen underwent tracheotomy and gastrostomy tube procedures.
"She is doing very well and getting the treatment she should have gotten 28 days ago," Dolan said Wednesday, referring to what happened to Jahi after a December operation.
"Doctors are optimistic that her condition has stabilized and that her health is improving from when she was taken from (the Oakland hospital)."
Uncle: I pray to see Jahi's smile again Jahi's uncle: Docs don't believe in hope Dr Sanjay Gupta on Jahi McMath
The family hasn't said where the eighth-grader currently is. Dolan has declined to say if she had been transferred to another facility and, if so, to describe that facility.
Instead, they have chosen to lay low as they continue their efforts to care for Jahi. Dolan said the family needs to "heal up from this whole experience" and have "some quiet time" away from media questions.
"(The) family is seeking to focus attention on Jahi," added the lawyer.
CNN could not independently verify Dolan's account about what's happened to the young California teen.
Jahi underwent a December 9 operation at the Northern California hospital to remove her tonsils, adenoids and extra sinus tissue
Doctors had recommended the surgery to treat pediatric obstructive sleep apnea, a condition that made her stop breathing in her sleep and caused other medical problems.
The teen girl was alert and talking to doctors after the procedure, even asking for a Popsicle because her throat hurt. That was a relief in some ways because she'd expressed concerns to her family about the surgery, fearing she would never wake up from it, her uncle has said.
Due to privacy laws, hospital officials have not been able to discuss Jahi's case in detail.
In the hospital's intensive care unit, however, the girl started to bleed, her family has said, and she went into cardiac arrest. Days later, she was declared brain-dead. A judge later sided with the hospital in declaring her dead.
The family, however, did not agree.
That conflict played into a weeks-long battle between the hospital, which wanted to remove Jahi from a ventilator, and her family, who believed she was showing signs of life.
The entire ordeal fueled a sweeping national debate about what legally and ethically constitutes death.
Some medical ethicists have said the case has fed into a misperception that "brain death" is not death; that somehow, the body can live on, and that is life.
It's also sparked fierce emotion, and that is another reason the family is keeping quiet about where the girl will be taken.
"We've had people make threats from around the country," Dolan, who said he and the girl's uncle have received such threats, has told CNN. "It's sad that people act that way."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shinycatcreations For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, Kelseecat65, Megamel29
Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM
sbcurious
Offline:
Poster Rank:2298
Female

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss121

This is a facinating thread on allnurses.. some of whom have seen it all. But the third post down someone gives details on just what will happen if they actually are tube this dead child. Allnurses page 93

Quote:
I'm guessing that there will be gross abdominal distention and likely gram negative necrosis. No bowel sounds since Dec 11th = no peristalsis. Since lower GI tract is already necrotic and sloughing off being expelled when body moved ( no defecation since Dec 12/13) it's most likely the upper GI tract is also necrotic and sloughing off. If the formula even gets in for a full feed volume there is no muscle contractions or peristalsis to move it along. Most likely gross ulceration of the stomach lining and it will expel into the peritoneal cavity hastening the rotting of tissue and further necrosis. The potassium released will stop the heart. If they started feeds today, the opportunistic infections may stop the heart before night's end.

Her alleged cousin reported in a blog comment of a putrid discharge expelling from her nose which is likely liquefied putrid brain tissue or necrotic lung tissue. There is likely alveolar damage as her pulmonary secretions were already tan , sanguineois pasty & foul smelling as of 1/2/14 so soon there will be no lung tissue left to ventilate. The cousin said her skin is gray, sticky (likely extra cellular fluid weeping) and the odor is like rotten chicken cutlets. Amazing the family wants privacy but not so private that they are too humble to continue to accept donations.....

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sbcurious For This Useful Post:
aenko, Azimuth, Catsratz, K9Grip, Kelseecat65, Megamel29
Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM
sbcurious
Offline:
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss121

that should have been "tube feeding"

The Following User Says Thank You to sbcurious For This Useful Post:
Kelseecat65
Old 01-10-2014, 11:40 AM
sbcurious
Offline:
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss121

Seems any doctor that would put a feeding tube in a decaying corpse would be facing criminal charges?

The Following User Says Thank You to sbcurious For This Useful Post:
Kelseecat65
Old 01-10-2014, 11:47 AM
bigjoe
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1242
male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss303

Serious question. How is it this girl was brain dead in December, and is already necrotizing with a decayed abdominal system and leaking brain juice, but the brain dead woman in Texas was brain dead in November, and is "healthy" enough to give nourishment to her baby?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:22 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Serious question. How is it this girl was brain dead in December, and is already necrotizing with a decayed abdominal system and leaking brain juice, but the brain dead woman in Texas was brain dead in November, and is "healthy" enough to give nourishment to her baby?
I know there are some variations of brain death, but I don't work on humans so I can't say for sure.
You'd be surprised at some of the feats the medical world can pull off.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 PM
vagabond
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:141
female

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 6/20
Today Posts
4/11 sssss6953

That damn lawyer is just prolonging the agony for the family- all for the almighty dollar

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vagabond For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, Kelseecat65