Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss49
Re: Facility Found for Braindead Calif. Teen on Ventilator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycatcreations View Post
What did they use for suction? If they did that without calling nurses thats messed up. My husband was in the hospital and as soon as something went wrong or looked remotely wierd I called somebody in. Did I read someone in her family was a nurse or was that my imagination?
and also to KelseeCat -

No, you are not imagining things. Her grandmother is either an LPN or LVN, I cannot remember which. Regarding the info I cited, it came from the blog I linked before, which someone else upthread had linked before me. Those who were commenting felt the suction likely was a Yankauer suction tip but obviously cannot confirm. If suction was used improperly or too long, it could definitely damage fresh post-op tissues and/or cause the nerve stimulation I mentioned. Still, Jahi may have had the same outcome even if medical staff was present at onset.

I'm linking to my local NBC affiliate, but this is an AP article. It finally mentions the other surgical procedures Jahi had. Apparently she is on the move today.

Doc Holliday: Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!
The Following User Says Thank You to Samara For This Useful Post:
Kelseecat65
Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara View Post
and also to KelseeCat -
Regarding the info I cited, it came from the blog I linked before, which someone else upthread had linked before me.
I read the entire blog as well, most interesting. It's maddening that none of this is out there. Each time the news reports they call it a simple tonsil surgery.
I'm going to go check out the link you just posted now.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:11 PM
rapeWhistle
Offline:
Hand of the King
Poster Rank:15
Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 21621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssss40876

Quote:
Doctors at Children's Hospital concluded the girl was brain dead on Dec. 12 and wanted to remove her from life support. The family said they believe she is still alive.
Hmmm, i wonder were the family got their medical degrees...?

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rapeWhistle For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, Kelseecat65
Old 01-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Oswald2001
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:99

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 15/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss10542

Is the family paying for this?

Let me guess...

Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 PM
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3102

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss73

Thanks for the info on the suctioning, looks like one from the dentist. How would damage be done? you think they were sticking it down her throat/mouth as opposed to just around her mouth on the outside?
When I'm at the dentist I ask to hold mine and only use it at the corner of my mouth and tip of my tongue.
Last I heard (read) a few days ago donations were at 41k. If they stop coming in though, that's not going to last too long.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:13 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Latest word is that she was moved into another care facility last night and is deteriorating fast. They are blaming it on Children's for not feeding her the entire month she was there.
There will come a day when they will have to take personal responsibility, but at this point it looks like it's years away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
Firegirl1, Kelseecat65
Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat

Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycatcreations View Post
Thanks for the info on the suctioning, looks like one from the dentist. How would damage be done? you think they were sticking it down her throat/mouth as opposed to just around her mouth on the outside?
When I'm at the dentist I ask to hold mine and only use it at the corner of my mouth and tip of my tongue.
Last I heard (read) a few days ago donations were at 41k. If they stop coming in though, that's not going to last too long.
They most likely damaged the area where the sutures were and suctioned out the blood clots. Remember that that area is highly vascular.

Firegirl1, Kelseecat65
Old 01-06-2014, 05:15 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat

Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald2001 View Post
Is the family paying for this?

Let me guess...
Gofundme.com They were able to fool enough idiots into handing over their hard earned cash.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:21 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat

Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelseecat65 View Post
I read the entire blog as well, most interesting. It's maddening that none of this is out there. Each time the news reports they call it a simple tonsil surgery.
I'm going to go check out the link you just posted now.
This is the one thing that pisses me off the most. It wasn't a simple surgery. Add in that the family hasn't been honest and it leaves a lot of people pissed off.

Obviously it's sad that a child has died, but the death isn't entirely on the hands of the hospital.

Their scumbag lawyer is loving these press conferences.

Firegirl1, Kelseecat65
Old 01-06-2014, 05:33 PM
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3102

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss73

Her lawyer says she's deteriorating and they don't know if she's going to make it...... no comment, I don't even know what to say to that. Anyway they were at 47k now and the transport was about 32k. Doesn't leave much left. Why the hell does it cost so much to transport someone from one place to another?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...disclosed-care

OAKLAND -- A brain-dead girl released into her family's custody left Children's Hospital Oakland on Sunday night and was checked in at an undisclosed care facility by the next morning, the family's attorney said.

Jahi McMath's body had "deteriorated so badly," that her chances for survival seemed bleak, said attorney Christopher Dolan. "Right now," Dolan said. "We don't know if she's going to make it."

The 13-year-old Oakland girl entered Children's Hospital on Dec. 9 for tonsil, throat and nose surgery to correct sleep apnea and developed bleeding complications, which led to cardiac arrest. She was declared brain-dead on Dec. 12 and has been on a ventilator ever since.

Jahi McMath
Jahi McMath (Omari Sealey)
Her mother, Nailah Winkfield, left the hospital with her daughter just before 8 p.m. in a "tense, but smooth" fashion that took between 45 minutes to an hour, Dolan said. The family received custody of her from the Alameda County Coroner's Office after the hospital had first relinquished Jahi to the coroner.

"The only thing I can equate it to is a hostage negotiation," Dolan said. "As soon as we would get one obstacle cleared, another obstacle would appear."

During a late Monday morning press conference, Dolan confirmed Jahi was now "safely where she needs to be," in a facility where she's receiving nutritional support including potassium, minerals and hormones. She's also getting antibiotics to combat possible infection that Dolan said she may have suffered while at Children's Hospital.

Dolan said procedures deemed necessary for a facility to take Jahi were not yet performed, including feeding and tracheotomy tubes, because other physical issues arose after she left the hospital. He would not disclose what those issues were but said Jahi is still be access by medical staff at the new facility.

"She's in very bad shape," he said. "What I can tell you is that those examinations show that her medical condition, separate from the brain issue, is not good."

Omari Sealey, right, the uncle of 13-year-old Jahi McMath, answers questions from the media at a press conference with attorney Chris Dolan at Dolan
Omari Sealey, right, the uncle of 13-year-old Jahi McMath, answers questions from the media at a press conference with attorney Chris Dolan at Dolan's San Francisco offices, Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014. McMath, a patient at Children's Hospital Oakland who was declared brain dead three weeks ago after suffering complications from a tonsillectomy, was "successfully" moved by ambulance from the hospital to an undisclosed care facility Sunday evening. (D. Ross Cameron/Bay Area News Group) ( D. ROSS CAMERON )
Jahi's uncle, Omari Sealey, referred to the transport of Jahi's body as an emotional roller coaster.

"My sister she was crying," Sealey said during a press conference late Monday morning. "I kissed her forehead and told her, 'I'll see you soon.'"

Sealey also said the family was relieved, grateful and happy Jahi's body had been moved and added that, although the family believes she is still alive, they will only come to terms with death if her other organs fail.

"We're not going to play God," Sealey said. "If her heart stops beating while she's hooked to the ventilator, we can accept that."

Dolan did not say how long it took to transport Jahi from the hospital to the facility. He told CNN on Sunday that secrecy was required because of unspecified threats against the family and on Monday compared it with "a covert operation."

Dolan said they had two commitments from a facility on Sunday but by the afternoon one of them had dropped out.

In all, he said, five facilities came forward to accept Jahi -- most of them dropping out for reasons including that they didn't want to deal with the "media circus".

Although it was unclear where Jahi's body was taken, a New York facility with ties to the Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Network had previously said it would accept Jahi for long-term care and reiterated that in a statement to CNN on Sunday.

But at the New Beginnings Community Center in Medford, N.Y. on Monday, there was little information to indicate Jahi had been moved there for treatment overnight.

Office workers rushed a reporter out of the building quickly after arriving and refused to answer questions about whether the brain-dead teenage patient was being treated at the facility.

An employee, who did not identify herself, acknowledged that the treatment center was one of several locations that could have accepted Jahi. The woman said any statements issued by the care facility would be given by founder Allyson Scerri, who was not at the building this morning.

A phone call to Scerri was not immediately returned.

In the lobby of the building, a large portrait of Terri Schiavo hung on the wall. Another portrait of an unidentified woman was dedicated to those who had lost their battle to traumatic brain injuries. A handful of patients were dropped off at the building's side entrance in private ambulances midmorning, but none appeared to be Jahi.

A hearing on Jahi's case is to set tomorrow in federal court and Dolan said the court could, at some point, move forward with issues he's raised including whether the American Disabilities Act was violated and whose right it is to determine medical care for a patient.

"The court may also say this has been rendered moot by the removal of Jahi from the hospital," Dolan said. "It already is president setting (that) what we heard in Judge (Evelio) Grillo's courtroom was something that stopped the medical field in its tracks."

On Friday, a negotiation supervised by Grillo -- an Alameda County Superior Court judge, and agreed to by both the family and the hospital allows Jahi's mother to remove her daughter from the hospital under certain conditions.

Check back for updates.

Digital First Media Reporter Bianca Prieto contributed to this report. Contact Rick Hurd at 925-945-4789 and follow him at Twitter.com/3rdERH.

The Following User Says Thank You to shinycatcreations For This Useful Post:
Megamel29