Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865
Facebook Scans Chats and Posts for Criminal Activity

Facebook has added sleuthing to its array of data-mining capabilities, scanning your posts and chats for criminal activity. If the social-networking giant detects suspicious behavior, it flags the content and determines if further steps, such as informing the police, are required.

The new tidbit about the company's monitoring system comes from a Reuters interview with Facebook Chief Security Officer Joe Sullivan. Here's the lead-in to the Reuters story:
A man in his early 30s was chatting about sex with a 13-year-old South Florida girl and planned to meet her after middle-school classes the next day. Facebook's extensive but little-discussed technology for scanning postings and chats for criminal activity automatically flagged the conversation for employees, who read it and quickly called police. Officers took control of the teenager's computer and arrested the man the next day.

Facebook's software focuses on conversations between members who have a loose relationship on the social network. For example, if two users aren't friends, only recently became friends, have no mutual friends, interact with each other very little, have a significant age difference, and/or are located far from each other, the tool pays particular attention.
The scanning program looks for certain phrases found in previously obtained chat records from criminals, including sexual predators (because of the Reuters story, we know of at least one alleged child predator who is being brought before the courts as a direct result of Facebook's chat scanning). The relationship analysis and phrase material have to add up before a Facebook employee actually looks at communications and makes the final decision of whether to ping the authorities.

"We've never wanted to set up an environment where we have employees looking at private communications, so it's really important that we use technology that has a very low false-positive rate," Sullivan told Reuters. While details of the tool are still scarce, it's a well-known fact that Facebook cooperates with the police, since, like any company, it has to abide by the law. In fact, just a few months ago, Facebook complied with a police subpoena by sending over 62 pages of photos, Wall posts, messages, contacts, and past activity on the site for a murder suspect.

For more information about Facebook's stance on working with the police, I checked out these two pages: Law Enforcement and Third-Party Matters, as well as Information for Law Enforcement Authorities. It's worth noting that neither of these documents discusses the aforementioned tool (a quick search for the words "monitor" and "scan" bring up nothing).

Facebook likely wants to avoid discussing the existence of the monitoring technology in order to avoid further privacy concerns. Many users don't like the idea of having their conversations reviewed, even if it's done by software and rarely by Facebook employees.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...trtcol;mostPop

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brometheus For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Fulcanelli, kellyhound, Vera Wang
Old 07-14-2012, 12:09 PM
BryanXavier
Offline:
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4798 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss12970
Re: Facebook Scans Chats and Posts for Criminal Activity

Facebook and even google are getting way too creepy.

I ended FB when they started lying about a year ago.

bloodgasm, diamondsmiles, kellyhound, rob666
Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM
AnneLea
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1731
female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

More reason for me to never go back. My mother has been accusing my husband and I of murdering my grandmother.

Last thing we need is local police breaking in the door to arrest us over her PMs to us.

I doubt they'll believe the truth, especially if they find out my grandma is related to the sherif in the county she lived in.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865

yea i'm still wondering why I still have an active account. Is being connected to all those people I know but dont talk to, worth it? Is being easily traceable worth it? The company I do my taxes with friend requested me.. WTF right!!? I wont be going back to them next year.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Lieberfrau
Offline:
Poster Rank:2353
Female

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

Nice try, but they also may want to expand their reporting options by adding sedition, animal cruelty, incitement of violence, and other such things to their rather short list of "reportable" misconduct.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lieberfrau For This Useful Post:
AnneLea
Old 07-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Vera Wang
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1006
Female

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post
just a few months ago, Facebook complied with a police subpoena by sending over 62 pages of photos, Wall posts, messages, contacts, and past activity on the site for a murder suspect.
I wonder who that could have been.....LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to Vera Wang For This Useful Post:
r0tten
Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanXavier View Post
Facebook and even google are getting way too creepy.

I ended FB when they started lying about a year ago.

Unfortunately, there are a lot more creeps and perverts out there.

Children need to be protected, but, their parents need to be patrolling their accounts.

fb was flagging people for requesting too many friends for awhile. My contacts are people I've actually met, at least once, or are celebrities whose schedules I want.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
AnneLea
Old 07-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Lieberfrau
Offline:
Poster Rank:2353
Female

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

I know a mother who allows her 10-year-old (and before 9) to run a FB profile, and put bikini pics up - public. I only know because I checked on my affair's contacts and that girl was one of them. Her half-naked body is just out there in public and mom thinks it's okay.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:24 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Facebook is the Devil.
I don't understand why people put up their entire lives for a companies profits, everything you put up is being analysed and sold.
It never goes away, and it becomes someone else property.
Scary fucking shit IMHO.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 PM
r0tten
Offline:
Cunt Extraordinaire
Poster Rank:327
Pussy Power!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera Wang View Post
I wonder who that could have been.....LOL
Hmm. I'm racking my brain to try to figure this one out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
I'd give you two dollars if you could stop being such a fucking cunt for 12 hours