Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
Executed Murderer Shouted "Wow" When Injected

By Michael Graczyk,
The Associated Press

HUNTSVILLE, Texas - A Texas inmate was executed Thursday evening for fatally shooting one of three people he and a partner abducted during a convenience store robbery nearly 11 years ago.

Richard Cobb, 29, didn't deny using a 20-gauge shotgun to kill Kenneth Vandever in an East Texas field where two women also were shot and one was raped. He was convicted of capital murder.

"Life is death, death is life. I hope that someday this absurdity that humanity has come to will come to an end," Cobb said when asked if he had any last words. "Life is too short. I hope anyone that has negative energy towards me will resolve that."

"Life is too short to harbor feelings of hatred and anger. That's it, warden."

But, that wasn't it.

Just before the lethal drug took effect and at the conclusion of his statement, Cobb twisted his head back, raised it off a pillow placed on the gurney and then toward the warden standing behind him.

"Wow!" the inmate exclaimed in a loud voice. "That is great! That is awesome! Thank you, warden! Thank you, fucking warden!"

His head fell back on the pillow, and his neck twisted at an odd angle, with his mouth and eyes open.

He remained that way for some 15 minutes before a physician entered the death chamber to examine him and pronounce him dead at 6:27 p.m. CDT. Sixteen minutes had passed since the drug had been injected.

The father, stepmother and stepbrother of the man shot and killed by Cobb were among the witnesses. Also in the viewing area was one of the women who was shot and attacked but survived to testify against Cobb.

"I think justice was served but it doesn't change anything to speak of," the slain man's father, Don Vandever, said after watching Cobb die. "I do think the justice system needs to be more of a deterrent.

"All he did was go to sleep. That's it."

Nikki Daniels, 29, who was raped and shot during the 2002 attack but survived to testify against Cobb, said, "I thought he was going to be remorseful, I thought he was going to be apologetic, was hoping that he was going to address me.

"I saw the same evil person I saw 11 years ago. ... He definitely showed his true colors."

The Associated Press generally does not name victims of sexual assault but Daniels agreed to be identified.

Daniels said Cobb's punishment in the end, "was far too easy."

About two hours before the lethal injection, the US Supreme Court cleared the way for Cobb to be executed, rejecting a last-day appeal. It was Texas' fourth execution this year.

On September 2, 2002, Kenneth Vandever and the two women were abducted from a store in Rusk, about 120 miles southeast of Dallas, and taken to a field about 10 miles away. All three were shot and left for dead. Vandever, 37, died, but the women managed to get help.

Cobb was 18 at the time of the attack, on probation for auto theft and a high school dropout. Cobb and his partner, Beunka Adams, were arrested in Jacksonville, about 25 miles away, the day after the crime. It was the latest in a series of robberies tied to them.

Cobb testified at his trial he began using drugs at age 12 and turned to robbery to pay off a drug debt.

Adams was executed a year ago this week for his participation in the slaying.

Vandever had frequented the store in Rusk and would do things like take out the trash. An auto accident had left him with the mental capacity of a child.

Cobb's trial attorneys unsuccessfully tried to show Adams forced Cobb to shoot Vandever by threatening Cobb. The survivors of the attack said they never heard such threats, but heard Vandever plead that he needed his medication and scream when he was shot.

"Basically, it was an act of compulsion," Cobb said of the abductions and shootings. He described himself to the AP shortly after arriving on death row in 2004 as, "young, dumb and made a mistake."

"I'm guilty of the crime," he said.

He told the Jacksonville Daily Progress last month from prison he didn't want to die, "but I'm ready for it."

At least 11 other Texas inmates have executions scheduled for the coming months, including three in May.

This undated photo below provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shows Richard Cobb.

Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, ChemJoe, Darkest Angel, Faline, gatagato, Iliketurtles, Kanda444, kellyhound, Pyramid_Head
Old 04-27-2013, 02:44 AM
Iliketurtles
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:641

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss864
Re: Executed Murderer Shouts, "Wow," When Injected

I would probably pretend im possessed by satan to scare everyone when i go

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Iliketurtles For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, diamondsmiles, Faline, kellyhound, mrm1109
Old 04-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392
Re: Executed Murderer Shouts, "Wow," When Injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliketurtles View Post
I would probably pretend im possessed by satan to scare everyone when i go

The Following User Says Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 04-27-2013, 11:18 AM
petedeamon
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:377
yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1919
Re: Executed Murderer Shouted "Wow" When Injected

The finality is important, the way we do it is to give us a pass on what we have done. I really don't think making the death "Easy" for these bastards is the way to handle it. I would rather they really suffered like the innocent people the murdered did. Life terms do not work as many find themselves out into society murdering again. I really liked the electric chair as it was a strong end to a useless life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petedeamon For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, EPIC_FAIL
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedeamon View Post
The finality is important, the way we do it is to give us a pass on what we have done. I really don't think making the death "Easy" for these bastards is the way to handle it. I would rather they really suffered like the innocent people the murdered did. Life terms do not work as many find themselves out into society murdering again. I really liked the electric chair as it was a strong end to a useless life.
Me, too, but, we can't have, "cruel and unusual punishment," for the criminals!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12567

Good bye to a killer. Glad justice is still served some places.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 04-28-2013, 12:53 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61206

taxpayers don't have to pay for this scumbag anymore.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:22 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

"Wow! What a rush!", would have been good, too

If I were ever executed, and no, I haven't done anything to deserve it, I'd like to look someone in the eyes and say, "I'll be back!," and grin like the cheshire cat and laugh loudly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, rob666
Old 04-28-2013, 07:22 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhound View Post
taxpayers don't have to pay for this scumbag anymore.
Believe it or not it actually costs more to execute someone than keep them in prison for life because of all the appeals etc etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
Believe it or not it actually costs more to execute someone than keep them in prison for life because of all the appeals etc etc.

I've heard that. Crazy, isn't it? Ya gotta give Aileen Wournos credit for saying, "I did it. Execute me. I don't want any appeals."

Texas probably gets a group discount

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
rob666