Go Back  

Every Buy a Gallon of Sweet Tea from McDonald's? 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865
Re: Every Buy a Gallon of Sweet Tea from McDonald's?

whats funny is i actually went to the store and bought a 32oz Tropicana Cranberry juice.. i love that juice/size to death.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:33 AM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneLea View Post
Yes, obesity is an epidemic, especially in this area, but nobody cares to look at why.

It's not sugar. It's people's excessive intake of it, as well as medical problems, and laziness.

Such issues can only be cured by individual management, not mass scale attempts.

There are people out there like my husband and I that do require a higher daily intake of sugar, and cutting it back would put us at risk for passing out often, not just when we don't have the time to grab that sweet tea or gatorade.

I believe the whole intent of it is to eventually eliminate refined sugar from our lives... by making the fines for being caught with it too expensive to risk even making it yourself.

Remember, we're also under attack about our salt intake. Think of what happened in 1930:

http://www.thenagain.info/webchron/india/SaltMarch.html

And in my area, even employees of the compliant food-services would be violently verbally attacked. I wouldn't doubt if some upset customers would hit an employee over it.

That's the mass temperament of the overweight people out here. They think it's the world's fault they're fat, and that they are entitled to the very things that got them that way in the first place.

Yet, if you limit someone's intake of anything so severally so quickly, there will be consequences on both sides, not just the desired result.

Prohibition didn't work. It killed more people than alcohol poisoning had.

Salt restrictions back then didn't work, it left people without an important electrolyte.

Taking away our sugar will do similarly.
Anything in moderation is OK, smoking wouldn't be as bad if people only smoked a couple a week and a drink a day isn't so bad either.

Its getting severely fucked though, the average life span is getting shorter and health issues related to being overweight are skyrocketing.

Maybe more people would think twice if warnings or restrictions were in place? I dunno, but its already well past the point of epidemic and something needs to be done.
I take it you are diabetic? If so then you need to get what you need, but I see so many fat kids sucking down sugary shit every time I leave my house it makes me sick.

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
AnneLea
Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

If people would get off their fat asses more then obesity wouldn't be such an epidemic, It makes me laugh when some porker wolfs down a huge greasy pizza and then washes it down with diet coke.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevee For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, rob666
Old 07-01-2012, 12:51 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneLea View Post
Yep... America the ever poorer.

You have to be extra extra poor to receive any government help... and then they make it so easy to stay on that help rather than improve your situation.

My husband only gets about $1000 a month, and they only gave him $28 a month in food-stamps when we weren't officially living together.

I made only $800 a month and didn't qualify for anything because I wasn't in one exact situation: A teen mother shut out by her family and being abused by her boyfriend.

Since I had chosen to be sensible about my life (use protection, work my way through college (that I still can't afford to get back to), and not put myself into a dangerous situation), I wasn't worthy of any financial aid what so ever.

When my husband and I got married, they cut off his medicaid and the food stamps. Why? Because $1800 a month is too much money to qualify for anything, barely low enough to get help from food banks.

Yet the poverty line is at $15,130 a year for a household of 2, and after we got married, I lost my job and couldn't get another due to the rock slide that shut down I-40 access between NC and TN, taking us down to an income of about $12,000 a year for two people.

But we didn't qualify for any aid.

Sweet tea is something cheap we can make at home and will sustain us through the day when need be, but we would no longer have the option to buy it if this goes through.

If they get it to go through in the restaurants, it wouldn't be that great a leap to then make it illegal to make your own sugary beverages and cary them around in gallon jugs the way we do.

Then what?

The government in the US tries to keep people living below the poverty level. Every Winter, we have people dying in fires leaving their ovens on for heat because they have children, then lost their jobs.

Very sad. I had to be on welfare for two years and it was terrible! I can't believe the people who keep having kids and stay on it. Medicaid had great medical coverage, but, I only got $205 a month and $55 in food stamps.

When I got my disability, they traded the Medicaid for Medicare, which sucks. I never know how much my medications will cost. I look them up online before I got to CVS.

They wanted to give me $12 in food stamps and I told them to keep it. Could have had a big party with four cases of soda every month!

Very sad! My heart goes out to anyone who was thrown into this situation through no fault of their own.

If you aren't very wealthy or living at the poverty level, the government won't help you. We, in the middle, don't get anything!

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
phluff
Old 07-01-2012, 10:23 AM
AnneLea
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1731
female

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

I have found that KMart pharmacies are the best in my area. CVS and Wal-Mart, and Ingles (local mega grocery store chain) are higher, don't offer as much on their ($2,$4,$6) dollar generic plans, and refuse to give extra discounts.

One of the near-by K-Marts has worked with us a whole lot! My husband gets his medicine at nearly 15% original price, and I can get my birth control at only $10 a month because of these people.

Sometimes, you just have to look for the places that you'd think would be higher in order to find the real savings.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevee View Post
If people would get off their fat asses more then obesity wouldn't be such an epidemic, It makes me laugh when some porker wolfs down a huge greasy pizza and then washes it down with diet coke.
FUUUUUUCK!! I used to work with a bloke like that. At lunch he'd eat enough for 3 people then drink a 1.25ltr bottle of Diet Coke and all he did all day was drive a fork lift, then he wondered why he couldn't lose weight.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:19 PM
r0tten
Offline:
Cunt Extraordinaire
Poster Rank:327
Pussy Power!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2357
This is going to do nothing for obesity epidemic. The fatty fat fats with clogged arteries, breathing troubles and other conditions associated with being overweight need educated. Nobody seems to understand portion control.

I know that in my town anyway it's a lot cheaper to buy crappy, fatty foods than it is to buy fresh fruit and low fat items. How about making healthy foods more widely available to people instead of telling people that they CANNOT eat/drink a certain thing?

I'm going to goddamn McDonalds and in going to get the biggest damn Dr.Pepper I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
I'd give you two dollars if you could stop being such a fucking cunt for 12 hours
The Following User Says Thank You to r0tten For This Useful Post:
AnneLea
Old 07-01-2012, 03:14 PM
KKSki
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1079
Lady Rainacorn

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss374

I think the tax on candy, sodas, and fast food is enough. It's unneccassary, but if people want it. It's not the governments job to say no. That's taking away rights. I don't really care about this law, because it doesn't affect me. But, to each their own.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:25 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss61174

survey involving 137,000 children in 34 countries from researchers at the Health Behavior in School-Aged Children Obesity Working Group (published in Obesity Reviews).

The research was designed to look at overweight and obesity in school aged children and to examine whether there was a connection between being overweight and diet and physical activity.

What the researchers found was that in "91% of the countries examined, the frequency of sweets intake was lower in overweight than normal weight youth."

Even more importantly the researchers found that there was a "negative relationship between the intake of sweets (candy, chocolate) and BMI classification in 31 out of the 34 countries.. such that higher sweets intake was associated with a lower odds of overweight."

In other words the children who eat larger amounts of so-called junk food, actually had less chance of being overweight. Again, "Overweight status was not associated with the intake of fruits, vegetables, and soft drinks..."

Statistically significant relationships were found between physical activity and lower weight and more time spent watching television and a greater risk for being overweight.

This research follows several recent studies that have also found that soda pop and junk food do not cause childhood obesity. For example, a recent study in the International Journal of Obesity by six Harvard researchers that looked at the eating and physical activity habits of 14,000 US children aged 9-14 over a three year period found that junk food does not lead to obesity among children.

However snack food was defined, with or without soft drinks, the researchers were unable to find a link between these foods and obesity. As the authors note, the "inclusion of sugar-sweetened beverages in the snack food category did not meaningfully change the results.

Regardless of the definition of snack foods, there was not a strong association between intake of snack foods and weight gain." Moreover, the overweight and obese children in the study were not eating more snack foods than the thin children.

The Harvard study confirmed an earlier one in the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition that found no correlation between children's weight and soda consumption.

These findings also echo those of two previous studies from last year that looked at the alleged junk food/pop/obesity connection. One, from scientists at Penn State, found "no statistically significant relationship between the percentage of calories from ice cream, baked good, candy and chips and BMI [Body Mass Index] scores for adolescent girls."

The other, from researchers at the University of California that examined diet, sedentary behavior and physical activity in adolescents, found that the only risk factor for increased BMI was lack of physical activity.

As they noted, "Of the 7 dietary and physical activity variables examined in this cross-sectional study, insufficient vigorous physical activity was the only risk factor for higher body mass index for adolescent boys and girls."

Some researchers have found, for instance, that between 25 and 40% of children and adolescents are inactive during their leisure time, with less than a quarter of adolescents receiving a day or more a week of PE at school.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:46 PM
AnneLea
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1731
female

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Awesome find kellyhound!