Go Back  

Edible Insects Will Eventually Replace Meat.... 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Soar
Offline:
☢†§ociøpath†☢
Poster Rank:36
Contributions: 49

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21711
Edible Insects Will Eventually Replace Meat....

From correspondents in Wageningen, Netherlands
AFP
January 24, 2011

DUTCH student Walinka van Tol inspects the worm protruding from a half-eaten chocolate praline she's holding, steels herself with a shrug, then pops it into her mouth.

"Tasty ... kind of nutty!" the 20-year-old assures her companions clutching an array of creepy crawly pastries at a seminar, which forecast that larvae and locusts will invade Western menus as the price of steak and chops skyrocket.

Ms Van Tol and about 200 other tasters were guinea pigs for a group of Dutch scientists doing groundbreaking research into insects replacing animal meat as a healthier, more environmentally friendly source of protein.

"There will come a day when a Big Mac costs 120 euros and a Bug Mac 12 euros, when more people will eat insects than other meat," head researcher Arnold van Huis told a disbelieving audience at Wageningen University in the central Netherlands.

"The best way to start is to try it once," the entomologist insisted.

At break time, there is a sprint for the snack tables with a spread of Thai marinated grasshopper spring rolls, buffalo worm chocolate gnache, and a seemingly innocent pastry "just like a quiche lorraine, but with meal worms instead of bacon or ham", according to chef Henk van Gurp.

The snacks disappear quickly to the delight of the chef and organisers. But the university's head of entomology Marcel Dicke knows that changing Westerners' mindset will take more than disguising a worm in chocolate.

"People think it is something dirty. It generates a Fear Factor response," citing the reality series that tests competitors' toughness by feeding them live insects.

Professor Dicke said Westerners had no choice but to shed their bug bias, with the UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation predicting there will be nine billion people on the planet by 2050 and agricultural land already under pressure.

"We have to eat less meat or find an alternative," said Professor Dicke, who claims to sit down to a family meal of insects on a regular basis.

Bugs are high in protein, low in fat and efficient to cultivate - 10 kilograms of feed yields 6-8 kilograms of insect meat compared to one kilogram of beef, states the university's research.

Insects are abundant, produce less greenhouse gas and manure, and do not transfer any diseases, when eaten, that can mutate into a dangerous human form, say the researchers.

"The question really should be: 'Why do we NOT eat insects?," said Professor Dicke, citing research that the average person unwittingly eats about 500 grams of bug particles a year anyway - in strawberry jam, bread and other processed foods.

According to professor Van Huis, about 500 types of insects are eaten in Mexico, 250 in Africa and 180 in China and other parts of Asia - mostly they are a delicacy.

One avid European convert is Marian Peters, secretary of the Dutch insect breeders association, Venik, who likes to snack on grasshoppers and refers to them as "the caviar of insects".

"They are delicious stir fried with good oil, garlic and red pepper and served in a taco," said Ms Peters.

Attached Images

Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 PM
SJ
Offline:
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Poster Rank:39
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss20274
Re: Edible Insects Will Eventually Replace Meat....

Bugs really aren't that bad, depending. Raw is kind of icky, but cooked is okay. Add a little steak sauce and you got yourself something tasty!!!

But....but....NOTHING will EVER replace the bacon!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Flaka
Offline:
Tuya
Poster Rank:19

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssss37568

Disgusting.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:15 PM
dooshman
Offline:
*Born Retard*
Poster Rank:58
Dude

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16098

I just can't see anyone passing up a sirloin steak for a dish of dead cockroaches. Ain't happening, homeboy.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:33 PM
sassieroses
Offline:
Halo or Horns today?
Poster Rank:291
Ladybug

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2800

Ewwwwww!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

I have no problem eating insects lol
I have always wanted to try bat wings.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:30 AM
TwistedPrincess
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:583

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1008

i quit eating meat some years ago although i still eat seafood. back when there were dinosaurs, i was in jr high school and our science teacher brought in fried grasshoppers (i think they were salted)and whoever was willing could have one. i tried one and it actually was tasty. tasted a lot like popcorn. i'd rather eat them if prepared and are tasty than to see the damned things in my apartment alive.
save a pig
eat an earwig!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Stevee
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss33585

So if locusts or grasshoppers are so cheap, and steak so expensive....then how much will chocolate or all of these condiments being used cost?.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
MonsterMetal
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:324
Kitty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2368

Lol I think Id rather go vego. I love my meat, but do not consider insects as a replacement for meat.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Lobsterbird
Offline:
Nowhere Man
Poster Rank:42

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss19797

I've tried a chocolate covered grasshopper before. It really.....wasn't that bad until someone told me what it was.