Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730
Earthquake Hits Cebu

<****** width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UGu4nO5l1QA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></******>
Cebu and Negros provinces fell victim to a powerful and deadly earthquake on February 6th, 2012. So far, one child has been reported dead in Taysan, Negros Oriental when a wall fell on the child and killed them. Damage reports are coming in still. There has been damage from the quake.
There are also reports of a damage causing tsunami in Badian Island which is in southwest Cebu. Full reports are not yet available. I don’t know how bad this was but one family reported that they were “badly hit by a tidal wave.” I heard from another family located near Moalboal in southern Cebu that noticed rising coastal waters within a few minutes of the quake. There would be no time to have prepare. In Cebu City, schools were closed, malls and the city hall was evacuated. Electrical power is out in some areas of Negros and some traffic lights are out in Cebu City. Traffic in those areas is said to be horrific.`Government office in Negros Oriental have been closed. The Cebu earthquake was rated at 6.7 by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and occurred at depth of only 20km. I suspect it would be a shallow quake since it was felt of a large area of the Philippines. Some in Mindanao reported feeling the quake and that was before there had been time for it to reach the press.

The earthquake was centered west south west 84km or about 50 miles from Cebu City. It was quite close to Cebu City. I’m another 80 miles or so north of Cebu city so the quake was about 130 miles from me. I don’t know how far Zamboanga is but it must be around 500 miles away and people reported feeling the quake there! The The Philippine Institute for Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has confirmed the quake was felt in Dipolog which is also in Mindanao. You can see the Inquirer report here. There report shows different depths and intensities but I’m using revised data from USGS.

Earthquake in Cebu Causes Panic

The Sun Star reported that panic set in after a tsunami scare rippled through Cebu City. They reported that people ran into the street, abandoned their cars in the street while the shaking was ongoing. Phivolcs did report that waves as high as three feet were possible from this earthquake. The picture above shows people have gotten out of their cars and gathered in the Osmena Circle Park in Cebu City. A place I have visited several times. Picture credit and article for Sun Star here.

I got an email from one site visitor he expressed the same reaction I had during the earthquakes that hit northern Cebu a couple of years ago. Her fear was how much longer will it last and will it get worse. She was located in Cebu City. She also mentioned her boss tore out of the office and didn’t come back.
It was very mild in Bogo. I didn’t think this one would get bad, as I was about to tell Jessie that she was already out the door. I would have gone too but I was looking for my comb. haha It was over before I found it. I had only been awake for a few minutes. We also felt one very small aftershock. Our computer desk did rock back and forth quite a bit. It was violent but enough to get your attention.

My Internet connection has been spotty today. We lose connection for a few seconds and then it is back. We had no disruption at all with other utilities.

http://cebuexperience.com/living-in-...eadly-in-2012/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blewvane For This Useful Post:
Dragonlady66, gatagato, kellyhound, Stevee
Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730
Re: Earthquake Hits Cebu

Some sites say there was no danger of a tsunami while others say there was, but locals are still being told to prepare for the worst. Schools were evacuated just after the quake, which hit almost 7 hours ago, about 12:00pm their time.

There was no hint of this on our local news, isn't it funny how no one gives a shit about the poorer countries?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blewvane For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Stevee
Old 02-06-2012, 07:42 AM
gatagato
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss5486

Latest from USGS:
Quote:
At least 13 people killed, 40 missing and 100 injured, many buildings damaged or destroyed, at least 9 bridges damaged and some landslides occurred in Negros Oriental.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...07wgq/#details

A tsunami alert was initially lifted, but currently there are no tsunami warnings:
http://ptwc.weather.gov/ptwc/?region...012.02.06.0356

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
hawaii.TIBHWX.2012.02.06.0356.jpg  

Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Arse fucker

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

My fiance was sent home from work at 3:00pm local and they were still getting tsunami warnings at 4:00pm local when i chatted to her sister.
Initialy i thought it was because of an earthquake near Japan. I wasn't worried about tsunamis from that hitting Cebu becasue of the other islands sheltering Cebu, but i found out the earthquake they were worried about hit west south west of Cebu, and that gives tsunamis from there a clear shot at Cebu. I know there's been a washout because i can't get through on the phone now.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Arse fucker

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

Tsunami warnings stopped at approx 9:00pm tonight, local fire department says it's ok to go home now. People crowded into shopping centers and wouldn't leave, it also looks like there may have been some looting of fast food shops while people cowered for their lives.

gatagato, Stevee
Old 02-06-2012, 01:26 PM
gatagato
★ Moderator ★
Male

Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss5486

Update ***
Quote:
At least 43 people killed, 40 missing and 100 injured, many buildings damaged or destroyed, at least 9 bridges damaged and some landslides occurred in Negros Oriental.
Quote:

WEHW42 PHEB 060356
TIBHWX
HIZ001>003-005>009-012>014-016>021-023>026-060556-

TSUNAMI INFORMATION STATEMENT NUMBER 1
NWS PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER EWA BEACH HI
556 PM HST SUN FEB 05 2012

TO - CIVIL DEFENSE IN THE STATE OF HAWAII

SUBJECT - TSUNAMI INFORMATION STATEMENT

THIS STATEMENT IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ACTION REQUIRED.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0549 PM HST 05 FEB 2012
COORDINATES - 10.0 NORTH 123.2 EAST
LOCATION - CEBU PHILIPPINES
MAGNITUDE - 6.8 MOMENT

EVALUATION

BASED ON ALL AVAILABLE DATA A DESTRUCTIVE PACIFIC-WIDE TSUNAMI IS
NOT EXPECTED AND THERE IS NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO HAWAII. REPEAT. A
DESTRUCTIVE PACIFIC-WIDE TSUNAMI IS NOT EXPECTED AND THERE IS NO
TSUNAMI THREAT TO HAWAII.

THIS WILL BE THE ONLY STATEMENT ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS
ADDITIONAL DATA ARE RECEIVED.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Arse fucker

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

The tsunami warning in Cebu & Negros island has been lifted. The Philippine Institute for Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) removed the tsunami alert it earlier raised in the area after an 6.9 magnitude earthquake struck the sea between the islands of Cebu and Negros. Earlier, Phivolcs warned that waves as high as three feet could result from the earthquake. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not issue a warning.

The tsunami alert earlier caused panic in Cebu. People ran out of buildings onto the streets to go to higher ground. Rumors spread that even bigger waves will hit the area, bigger than the three feet as advised by Phivolcs. This was the reason for the panic. A video showing the tsunami panic in Cebu has been posted on YouTube by a Cebu resident.

Meanwhile, work and classes have been suspended in some areas affected by the earthquake. In Bacolod, three schools have so far suspended their classes. These are Tay Tung High School, St. John’s Institute and University of St. La Salle-Bacolod.

Power and mobile phone signal were lost right after the tremor. Although, it was restored in some area, others still do not have power at this time.
<****** width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_7eA8-65YJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></******>

Old 02-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Arse fucker

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatagato View Post
Update ***
But Hawaii is 8500Kms from the center while Cebu was 80Kms from it, that's why Hawaii wasn't on alert.

gatagato, Stevee
Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 AM
gatagato
★ Moderator ★
Male

Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss5486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewvane View Post
But Hawaii is 8500Kms from the center while Cebu was 80Kms from it, that's why Hawaii wasn't on alert.
Lol you're right: that's not the cable i wanted to share ( had three cables opened at the same time)
This one was, in which is being pointed out that tsunamis can be destructive along coasts located within a hundred kilometers of the earthquakes of that strenght epicenter, which confirms that a tsunami warning was lifted for Cebu.

Quote:
WEPA42 PHEB 060355
TIBPAC

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001
PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS
ISSUED AT 0355Z 06 FEB 2012

THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO AREAS WITHIN AND BORDERING THE PACIFIC
OCEAN AND ADJACENT SEAS...EXCEPT ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...
WASHINGTON...OREGON AND CALIFORNIA.

... TSUNAMI INFORMATION BULLETIN ...

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY.

THIS BULLETIN IS ISSUED AS ADVICE TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. ONLY
NATIONAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO MAKE
DECISIONS REGARDING THE OFFICIAL STATE OF ALERT IN THEIR AREA AND
ANY ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN RESPONSE.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 0349Z 06 FEB 2012
COORDINATES - 10.0 NORTH 123.2 EAST
DEPTH - 33 KM
LOCATION - CEBU PHILIPPINES
MAGNITUDE - 6.8

EVALUATION

NO DESTRUCTIVE WIDESPREAD TSUNAMI THREAT EXISTS BASED ON
HISTORICAL EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI DATA.

HOWEVER - EARTHQUAKES OF THIS SIZE SOMETIMES GENERATE LOCAL
TSUNAMIS THAT CAN BE DESTRUCTIVE ALONG COASTS LOCATED WITHIN
A HUNDRED KILOMETERS OF THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER. AUTHORITIES
IN THE REGION OF THE EPICENTER SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS
POSSIBILITY AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION.

THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BULLETIN ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE.

THE JAPAN METEOROLOGICAL AGENCY MAY ALSO ISSUE TSUNAMI MESSAGES
FOR THIS EVENT TO COUNTRIES IN THE NORTHWEST PACIFIC AND SOUTH
CHINA SEA REGION. IN CASE OF CONFLICTING INFORMATION... THE
MORE CONSERVATIVE INFORMATION SHOULD BE USED FOR SAFETY.

THE WEST COAST/ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER WILL ISSUE PRODUCTS
FOR ALASKA...BRITISH COLUMBIA...WASHINGTON...OREGON...CALIFORNIA.