Today Posts
0/11 sssss1903
'Dust Lady' of 9/11 Marcy Borders Dies of Cancer at 42

Click image for larger version

Name:	_85192807_85192806.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	639467

A 9/11 survivor whose photograph became one of the enduring images of the terrorist attacks has died aged 42 after suffering from stomach cancer.
Marcy Borders became known as the "dust lady" after a photo showed her covered in dust as she escaped the World Trade Center during the attacks.
Ms Borders, a mother of two, died on Monday, her family said on Facebook.

She blamed her cancer on inhaling dust during the attack and suffered from alcoholism and anxiety in later years.

"I can't believe my sister is gone," her brother Michael Borders wrote on Facebook. Her cousin John Borders called her a "hero" and said she had "succumbed to the diseases that [had] ridden her body since 9/11".

"In addition to losing so many friends, co-workers and colleagues on and after that tragic day ... the pains from yesteryear have found a way to resurface," he added.

On 11 September 2001, Ms Borders was just one month into a new job at Bank of America on the 81st floor of the north tower when the plane hit.
"The building started quaking and swaying. I lost all control, and I went into a frenzy. I fought my way out of that place," she told the Daily Mail in 2011.
Defying instructions from her boss to stay put, she fled down the stairway and into the lobby of an adjacent building where she was photographed by Stan Honda.

Mr Honda, a professional photographer, recalled the moment in a post on Facebook on the 10th anniversary of the attacks.

"A woman came in completely covered in grey dust. You could tell she was nicely dressed for work and for a second she stood in the lobby. I took one shot of her before the police officer started to direct people up a set of stairs, thinking it would be safer off the ground level."

Ms Borders, who was from New Jersey, was not aware she had been photographed until her mother saw the image the following day and contacted Mr Honda.

In the years after the attacks, as her picture became one of the most iconic images of the day, Ms Borders suffered from severe depression and drug addiction and lost custody of her two children.
"I didn't do a day's work in nearly 10 years and by 2011 I was a complete mess," she told The New York Post in the same year. "Every time I saw an aircraft, I panicked."

But after a spell in rehab starting in April that year, she became sober and regained custody. Then in November 2014 she revealed that she had stomach cancer.

Ms Borders believed the cancer was a result of her experience in 2001. "I definitely believe it because I haven't had any illnesses," she told US newspaper the New Jersey Journal. "I don't have high blood pressure ... high cholesterol, diabetes."

Thousands of people who were at Ground Zero that day have been since diagnosed with cancer, but medical officials have not confirmed any link to the attacks.

In 2011, Barack Obama instituted a $2.78bn (£1.77bn) fund to compensate first responders for health problems related to the attacks.

Ms Borders' daughter Noelle told the New York Post on Wednesday her mother "fought an amazing battle".

"Not only is she the 'Dust Lady' but she is my hero and she will forever live through me," she said.

R.I.P.

Azimuth, bl4ckwidow, EWSER-X, icheerthebull, jtonkfan, kellyhound, Kelseecat65, morbid75, Oswald2001, Pigeon, Pyramid_Head, sherrimccharles, shoelessjojackson, St. Geno, Sterlig, vagabond, winvens, Xfactor
Old 08-26-2015, 11:37 AM
winvens
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:125
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 4341 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8054
Re: 'Dust Lady' of 9/11 Marcy Borders Dies of Cancer at 42

One of the worst ways to die. At least her pain is finally over.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to winvens For This Useful Post:
icheerthebull, Johnny Wadd, kellyhound, Oswald2001, Pigeon, Pyramid_Head, vagabond
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Johnny Wadd
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:380
Male

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anom Alley View Post
One of the worst ways to die. At least her pain is finally over.
I agree,watched one of my Dad's pals waste away with this particularly nasty disease.

I remember the fear in his eyes and the pain everyone felt seeing him almost "melt" away

kellyhound, Kelseecat65, Oswald2001, winvens
Old 08-26-2015, 01:37 PM
commondenom
Offline:
puelling pueman
Poster Rank:128
m

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 13/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss8011

she puts Tony Montana to shame

Old 08-26-2015, 03:33 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
Thousands of people who were at Ground Zero that day have been since diagnosed with cancer, but medical officials have not confirmed any link to the attacks.
for me the link is very clear, fuckers.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/11/he...cer-treatment/

Old 08-26-2015, 03:53 PM
winvens
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
I agree,watched one of my Dad's pals waste away with this particularly nasty disease.

I remember the fear in his eyes and the pain everyone felt seeing him almost "melt" away
This.

I watched a woman who was more mother to me than Mom be eaten alive by virulent lung cancer for seven long months. Extremely high chemo doses bought Jeanne six months for us to cherish the little time left. I've never seen anyone go so downhill so fast in my life, and I never want to see it again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winvens For This Useful Post:
Johnny Wadd, Oswald2001
Old 08-26-2015, 05:56 PM
morbid75
Offline:
★Athena★
Poster Rank:139
Contributions: 17

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7043

I still cannot believe they deny those health issues are not related. That dust contained all kinds of stuff. I mean computers, phones, insulation, jet fuel whatever was ground to dust. I watched that documentary the french guys did that was originally about the FDNY but ended up being about 9/11 because they lived through it. Some of those who sifted through the wreckage said they did not find hardly anything intact. There was like a piece of a phone he said and they were amazed.

I am sorry that poor lady had to endure that cancer but glad her pain is over

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to morbid75 For This Useful Post:
Johnny Wadd, Pigeon, vagabond, winvens
Old 08-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12567

That's too bad, only an idiot would believe that breathing all that shit on 9/11 was harmless.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
Johnny Wadd, jtonkfan, Pigeon, rapeWhistle, vagabond, winvens
Old 08-27-2015, 03:38 AM
vagabond
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:141
female

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6979

Totally carcinogenic dust...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vagabond For This Useful Post:
Johnny Wadd, Pigeon, rapeWhistle, winvens
Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 AM
winvens
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8054

The body count for the 9/11 cancer cluster is approx. 1100. That seems really low considering how populated Manhattan is. Does anyone have comprehensive stats about this?

The Following User Says Thank You to winvens For This Useful Post:
Johnny Wadd