Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss168
Re: Dumb Waitress Found Dead Inside Dumbwaiter

Really don't get it...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...ushpmg00000021

An autopsy has revealed the cause of death in the mysterious case of a young woman who was found dead inside a dumbwaiter earlier this month.

Fountain City, Wisconsin police said that Brooke Baures, a waitress at WingDam Saloon and Grill, died after getting her head caught in a descending second-floor dumbwaiter while working a banquet at the restaurant on Dec. 1.

According to the Associated Press:

[Police] said they believe Baures' head "was located almost entirely inside the cab of the elevator canted slightly to her right as the cab descended. When the roof of the cab passed the sill of the second floor access, Brooke sustained fatal crushing injuries to her brainstem and cerebellum."
Authorities said that Baures, a student at Winona State University and member of the school's gymnastics team, was likely "using it to move food" when the accident occurred. Police believe she's the only one who could have pressed the button to operate the machine, and do not suspect foul play.

Anyone operating the dumbwaiter had only about five seconds before the interior of the cab disappeared below the sill, police said. The dumbwaiter has since been permanently removed.

"Brooke was a leader on that team and a very talented gymnast," Eric Schoh, WSU athletic director, said in a statement earlier this month. "This is a tremendous loss for our community, and we ask that you keep Brooke and her family, friends, coaches and teammates in your thoughts."

Like Us On Facebook | Follow Us On Twitter | Contact The Author

Based on witness' statements, police believe Baures was the only person who could have pressed the dumbwaiter's control button on the second floor and concluded no crime was committed in her death.

The autopsy found "extensive destruction" of the brainstem and left side of the cerebellum and concluded she died of severe head trauma. Police believe her head was almost entirely inside the cab of the elevator when it descended.

Based on autopsy results, police said they believe Baures' head "was located almost entirely inside the cab of the elevator canted slightly to her right as the cab descended. When the roof of the cab passed the sill of the second floor access, Brooke sustained fatal crushing injuries to her brainstem and cerebellum," the report said. Anyone operating the dumbwaiter had only about five seconds before the interior of the cab disappeared below the sill, police said.

The dumbwaiter has since been permanently removed.

Federal and state regulators have launched separate investigations.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draculina For This Useful Post:
BryanXavier, katzmeow
Old 12-11-2014, 01:29 AM
BryanXavier
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4833 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss13017

Thanks - I was trying to keep up with it. So I'm guessing just her head was in the dumbwaiter and not her whole body as it seemed from the OP and articles. Am I right?

diamondsmiles
Old 12-11-2014, 08:30 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanXavier View Post
Thanks - I was trying to keep up with it. So I'm guessing just her head was in the dumbwaiter and not her whole body as it seemed from the OP and articles. Am I right?

Sounds like you are right to me, BryanXavier.

I was just going to post the Autopsy findings.

Quote:
Based on autopsy results, police said they believe Baures' head, "was located almost entirely inside the cab of the elevator canted slightly to her right as the cab descended..."
Quote:
The autopsy found, "extensive destruction," of the brain stem and left side of the cerebellum and concluded she died of severe head trauma. Police believe her head was almost entirely inside the cab of the elevator when it descended.
It only took 5 seconds for her to die, and that is not a lot of time to get out.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
BryanXavier
Old 12-11-2014, 09:47 AM
BryanXavier
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4833 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss13017

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
Sounds like you are right to me, BryanXavier.

I was just going to post the Autopsy findings.

It only took 5 seconds for her to die, and that is not a lot of time to get out.
Five seconds to die, you think? Maybe, but 5 seconds for her to get out of the way for sure if I read that right.

diamondsmiles
Old 12-11-2014, 12:47 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanXavier View Post
Five seconds to die, you think? Maybe, but 5 seconds for her to get out of the way for sure if I read that right.
I see that now.

I don't recall where I read the report. It was late and I haven't been to sleep yet.

Waiting for the guy to fix the thermostat and the water company.

This is not the report I read, but, at least this type of accident is rare.

Quote:
Coroner Denies Report WSU Student's Cause of Death has Been Released

Posted: Dec 03, 2014 3:52 PM EST
Updated: Dec 04, 2014 9:19 AM EST
by Aaron Rupar

-- Update at bottom --

Peter Samba, coroner for Buffalo County, Wisconsin, says a report that Brooke Baures' cause of death has been released is incorrect.

Samba tells Fox 9 he's still awaiting the results of Fountain City's investigation and Baures' autopsy before he issues an official ruling. He said he doesn't expect that to happen until early next week.

Baures, 21, was an acclaimed gymnast at Winona State University. She died Monday evening while working at Fountain City's Wing Dam Saloon & Grill as a result of an incident involving a food elevator.

Such incidents are rare -- across the country, only three deaths involving so-called dumbwaiters occurred between 2003 and last year.

Asked about the aforementioned report about him already issuing a determination regarding Baures' cause of death, Samba says, "There are all kinds of ways you can get information." He adds that he never said the things attributed to him in the report.

A candlelight vigil in Baures' honor is scheduled for 8 p.m. tonight on WSU's campus.

:::: UPDATE ::::

The Winona Daily News, citing 911 calls, reports that Baures died after she became trapped in the food elevator.

Fountain City Police Officer, Jason Moor, told the paper there doesn't seem to be any witnesses to what happened, but, the aforementioned 911 calls indicate a coworker of Bares discovered she'd been trapped in the machine.

"I think one of my co-workers got (caught) in, like, our dumbwaiter," the 911 caller said, distraught and through tears, "but I'm not willing to look close enough."