Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3275
Re: Drunk Student Cooks Flatmate's Pet Hamster in a Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleeknoefler View Post
Hitler was also against animal abuse so that's not always an indicator.
What? It's always an indicator something is wrong

I know they aren't mutually exclusive traits, which is why I stated anyone who tortures small animals for fun is AMONG the most disturbing people of the world.

Sure, not every diabolical nutcase is an animal abuser, but I guarantee you'll NEVER find a kind, sweet-hearted, sane individual that just so happens to have a hobby of going home to torture and roast domestic pets for fun.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Smackeddie
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:225
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3913

the image was in the newspapers so surely its ok to post.

http://www.needyhelper.com/kid-gets-...s-his-hamster/

*that is a picture of the newspaper and the 'picture' is displayed in the newspaper report.
*edition The Sun March 8th 2013

The Following User Says Thank You to Smackeddie For This Useful Post:
Eaton
Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 PM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male
Contributions: 26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
What? It's always an indicator something is wrong

I know they aren't mutually exclusive traits, which is why I stated anyone who tortures small animals for fun is AMONG the most disturbing people of the world.

Sure, not every diabolical nutcase is an animal abuser, but I guarantee you'll NEVER find a kind, sweet-hearted, sane individual that just so happens to have a hobby of going home to torture and roast domestic pets for fun.
True enough. But not every disturbed person who tortures animals will become a serial killer.
You are inadvertantly referring to the now discredited McDonald Triad which asserts that there are three indicators of future serial killers.
Abusing animals, fire starting, and bed wetting.
The least likely indicator that was disproved early on was bedwetting since usually it has nothing to do with aggressive behavior.
Firestarting seemed to be a more likely indicator but was never proven to be a consistent indicator.
Of all three animal abuse seemed to be the most likely indicator but it was never proven to be a reliable indicator.
The thing that does link almost all serial killers is parental abuse, and most especially long term humiliation coupled with abuse.
These things also are true for most fire starters or children who consistently abuse or torment small animals as a release for frustration and to vent feelings of helplessness and reaffirm self worth.

Quote:

For the last half century, a trio of behaviors—cruelty to animals, firesetting, and enuresis—has enjoyed popular acceptance by criminologists, psychologists, and law enforcement officers. These professionals have long linked the presence of the Macdonald Triad in childhood to a variety of criminal careers. Recent crime series on television and Hollywood movies have breathed new life into the alleged phenomenon. Of 90 undergraduate students in a criminal psychology class asked to “research” the Macdonald Triad, 88 reported the alleged phenomenon related to sociopaths or to serial murderers. In fact, John Macdonald’s (1963) study was of psychiatric patients who threatened violence and makes no reference to either sociopaths or multiple murderers. More importantly, using a methodology based on grounded theory, an extensive review of the literature offers little empirical support for the triad as a bona fide phenomenon. Yet it persists. These observations raise critical questions for educators and practitioners in criminal justice. As educators, how thoroughly do we vet the concepts we teach? As practitioners, what constitutes reliable information? More broadly, what lends credibility to an alleged phenomenon? This paper examines the Macdonald triad and its evolution over time with an eye to addressing these questions.
So basically later researchers have retired the Macdonald Triad to the list of urban legends.
I'm pretty sure Michael Vick won't be a serial killer while Hitler who loved animals and was a self professed vegetarian based on humanitarian grounds had no problem orchestrating the murder of millions and millions of his fellow humans to satisfy his lust for control and power.
I still think the guy who roasted his roommates pet should be required to eat it. Who knows, he may learn to like it and the market for roastable rodents may just take off.