Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21520
Drunk Driver Causes 15 Crashes, Kills Woman

Gil Aegerter, Staff Writer, NBC News

Police say a 70-year-old man was driving drunk when he caused 15 car crashes near Atlanta -- one of them fatal -- before smashing his pickup truck into a restaurant.

Michael Owen Snider was charged with driving under the influence, vehicular homicide, serious injury by vehicle, following too closely and reckless driving, the Gwinnett Daily Post reported on its website, citing jail records.

The Post reported that authorities said Snider was driving a 2006 Ford Super Duty pickup on Wednesday evening when he caused five hit-and-run accidents in DeKalb County and about 10 more in Gwinnett County.

Authorities said he caused a five-vehicle chain-reaction pileup that killed 69-year-old Mintiwab Woldeyhans of Loganville.

Minutes later, authorities told the Post, he went off the road and smashed into Johnboy's Home Cooking restaurant along U.S. 78 in Snellville, northeast of Atlanta. He was taken to a hospital for treatment and was being held without bond.

*How do these people get away with these things!?*

Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
gatagato, kellyhound, Megamel29, Seven Of Nine
The Following Users Disliked This Post By diamondsmiles:
Bouncer
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913
Re: Drunk Driver Causes 15 Crashes, Kills Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
*How do these people get away with these things!?*
Doesn't sound to me like he's getting away with anything. He caused all of this damage in one night, during one car ride. This article has more info:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/fatal-c...nd-runs/nT5dq/

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
“Do you know who I am?” a 70-year-old DeKalb County man asked after ramming the back of a car. “I do whatever I want.”
And according to police in two counties, Michael Owen Snider did.
Snider allegedly drove drunk for 15 miles, haphazardly striking more than a dozen cars along the way. Panicked drivers called 911 as Snider continued on, not stopping until he caused a fatal wreck and rammed his own truck into a Gwinnett County restaurant Wednesday night, police said.
Thursday afternoon, investigators were still trying to piece together the string of crashes across two counties. According to DeKalb County police reports obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and a victim, Snider wasn’t remorseful after striking the first of many vehicles in his path.
Snider, of Stone Mountain, was driving a Ford F-250 truck when he allegedly caused the hit-and-run wrecks across DeKalb and Gwinnett counties Wednesday evening, Cpl. Ed Ritter with Gwinnett County police said. At his first court appearance Thursday morning, Snider was ordered held without bond until a preliminary hearing scheduled for Feb. 1, Gwinnett sheriff’s Lt. Sean Smith said.
Snider faces a long list of charges, but has no known criminal history, records show.
Adama Keita, of Decatur, was at a red light after exiting I-285 at Covington Highway when his Nissan 350Z was hit from behind around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday night. Keita was the first person Snider allegedly hit, and Keita said Thursday he immediately called police.
“When hit the car, he wanted to leave but the traffic was backed up,” Keita said.
Then, after struggling to get out of his truck and stumbling, Snider offered him money, Keita said. That’s when Snider asked Keita if he knew who he was. Keita didn’t.
Worried that Snider was going to leave the scene of the wreck, Keita said he again called police with a warning.
“If y’all don’t stop him, he’s going to end up killing someone,” Keita said he told a 911 operator.
Later Wednesday night, Keita said he learned that the man who hit him was suspected of several other wrecks, including one that killed a woman.
After causing eight wrecks in DeKalb County, Snider then allegedly caused at least eight more wrecks in Gwinnett before causing a fatal wreck near Snellville around 8:30 p.m., Ritter said.
Snider’s truck rear-ended a car, pushing the car under a flatbed truck at U.S. 78 at Walton Court, near Snellville, Ritter said. A female passenger in the car, 69-year-old Mintiwab Woldeyhans of Loganville, died at the scene of the wreck and the car’s driver, 51-year-old Yeshihareg Abebe of Grayson, was transported to the hospital in critical condition, according to police.
On Thursday, Ritter described Abebe’s injuries as “life-threatening.”
After causing the fatal wreck, Snider hit John Boy’s Home Cooking restaurant, causing moderate damage to the building, Ritter said. Snider was transported to the hospital after complaining of injuries, which were not believed serious, police said. No one inside the restaurant was injured.
Snider was charged with vehicular homicide, DUI, causing serious injury by vehicle, reckless driving and following too closely, jail records show. Additional charges are expected to be filed in DeKalb County.
Dennis Brown told Channel 2 Action News the suspected drunk driver slammed into the back of his Chrysler Pacifica and then followed him.
“He intentionally tried to hit me, so that’s when he chased me, literally he chased me, on the road,” Brown said. “It was like a video game. Really, I couldn’t believe he was trying to do that.”
Keita, the first driver hit, said Thursday night he wishes he could have prevented Snider from causing so much heartbreak and destruction behind the wheel.
“I wish I could’ve done more,” Keita said.

<object id="flashObj" width="486" height="412" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=2115685346001&playerID=1620628511&p layerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAFAsZ1c~,8MkVRvW0DmbPOn4dw4SMaHg QrVsKm43k&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=2115685346001&playerID=16206285 11&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAFAsZ1c~,8MkVRvW0DmbPOn4dw4S MaHgQrVsKm43k&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

I tried to add this to your post, Diamondsmiles, but that feature is being wonky. Feel free to add it if you can. *******

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 401

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
8/11 ssss61129

Quote:
“Do you know who I am?” a 70-year-old DeKalb County man asked after ramming the back of a car. “I do whatever I want.”
idiots like that do not belong in society. The older the crazier

Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
Doesn't sound to me like he's getting away with anything. He caused all of this damage in one night, during one car ride. ************************************
I tried to add this to your post, Diamondsmiles, but that feature is being wonky. Feel free to add it if you can. *******

Thank you so much, meg! I only saw that one little article at that time.

I ASSumed he was like the woman with the 52 tickets and 16 moving violations!

It's cool here. I think it's close enough to the op.

I can't figure out how to contribute text yet either.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Megamel29
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
Thank you so much, meg! I only saw that one little article at that time.

I ASSumed he was like the woman with the 52 tickets and 16 moving violations!

It's cool here. I think it's close enough to the op.
That first article did make it seem like he was a repeat offender, rather than some shmuck who went on a three county hit and run spree in one night.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21520

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhound View Post
idiots like that do not belong in society. The older the crazier

Some youths are crazy, too! Lots of school shootings in the past few years.