male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1158
Dont Ask, Dont Tell. The Easy Way Out.

I think he did it just to get out. Doesn't matter if one is gay or not, I'd rather have a gay man with a gun defend me than to have no man at all defend me.

In no way do I advocate homosexual behavior, but still... A gay man on my side with a gun is better than no man at all on my side with a gun.

An airman has been discharged from the US Air Force for outing himself as gay under the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, which remains in effect until it is determined that Congress' vote to repeal the policy will not affect military readiness.

In December, Congress repealed the ban on gay men and lesbians serving openly in the military. But the president, the secretary of defense and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff must still certify that lifting the policy does not affect military readiness, and full repeal takes effect 60 days after that.

That means gay service members can still be discharged, despite guidance from Secretary of Defense Robert Gates that puts the decision in the hands of top-level officials.

On April 29, Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley approved the discharge of an airman, after consulting Jeh Johnson, the Department of Defense's general counsel, and Clifford Stanley, the undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness.

Maj. Joel Harper, an Air Force spokesman, said in a statement that the individual in question -- who has not been identified -- voluntarily outed himself.

"In this instance, the Airman 1st Class made a statement that he was a homosexual," Harper said.

"After making the statement but prior to the commander initiating separation action, the airman wrote the Secretary of the Air Force asking to be separated. After the separation action was initiated, the individual was informed of the current status of the repeal of 'Don't ask, Don't Tell,' and he reaffirmed to the SecAF that he desired his separation action be expeditiously processed."

Still, the case has drawn the attention of gay-rights groups. In a statement, Servicemembers Legal Defense Network Executive Director Aubrey Sarvis said the discharge of the airman "highlights the need for certification this month, and in fact, does nothing to diminish our concern that service members remain under investigation and are at risk of being discharged."

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, which supports the repeal, says it is still representing individuals who face discharge under the current policy.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:44 AM
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:163
Female

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6038
Re: Dont Ask, Dont Tell. The Easy Way Out.

FFS, why or how does sexuality have anything to do with fighting for your country or holding or firing a gun.
Don't ask, don't tell should be common sense. What everyone does in their sex life has NOTHING to do with anyone else, as long as they are not hurting anyone or anything. And it certainly shouldn't be a reason to stop them from joining up and fighting for their country if they want to.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 AM
rrc
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:8235

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

"In no way do I advocate homosexual behavior..."

The fuck is that supposed to mean?

Old 07-13-2011, 04:48 AM
mrh2008
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:528
male

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc View Post
"In no way do I advocate homosexual behavior..."

The fuck is that supposed to mean?
What does it sound like it means?

It means I do not agree with it and I do not like it.